Great exposure for the program... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Great exposure for the program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's a completely different question from where this originated (can we somehow score 40 vs NC State of all things).

I'd judge the offense by the 20 ppg.
Actually this started would we hold NCSU under 40 at their place.

Maybe this is too obvious, but the good is that the coach gets paid for the whole five years irrespective of whether he actually coaches. Btw I'm an attorney.

Not necessarily, there is usually a buyout clause. Maybe it is a flat dollar amount, maybe it is 1 year salary.

We had to pay off Gerg and it was debilitating to the Department to pay that clown 1-2 mil to sit at home and coach HS football as a volunteer.

Our TV money has gone from BE giving us about 5 million for basketball and football each year. To about 18 million a year from the ACC for basketball and football.

We can afford the buyout if we had to. I am sure the AD would raise some money from boosters but Syverud has cleaned up the AD's wasteful spending.

Not necessarily, there is usually a buyout clause. Maybe it is a flat dollar amount, maybe it is 1 year salary.

We had to pay off Gerg and it was debilitating to the Department to pay that clown 1-2 mil to sit at home and coach HS football as a volunteer.
You're right, length/amount depends on how good the lawyer is and his/her leverage.

Willy75 said:
Actually this started would we hold NCSU under 40 at their place.

Oh - right. We're 58 vs FBS p5 teams at 29.5 ppg on D. NC State is 77 vs FBS p5 teams on O at 20.1 ppg.

So yeah. It's possible.

Wins in how long? If it takes more that 2.5 years, he is toast. Remember, like Shafer right...

Wash, rinse, repeat.

EDIT: If I were a coach, I would avoid SU like the plague unless I was overly compensated to do the job.

It's as easy as doing a Ben Franklin and looking at the positives and negatives of the job. The negatives are huge, the positives are very small.
Every coach would understand that a new A.D. would want to bring in their own guy. They would be that guy.

Our TV money has gone from BE giving us about 5 million for basketball and football each year. To about 18 million a year from the ACC for basketball and football.

We can afford the buyout if we had to. I am sure the AD would raise some money from boosters but Syverud has cleaned up the AD's wasteful spending.

The academics still think they should be paid for the athletic scholarships that their departments are tagged with paying. That money isn't in the bank the way we think it is until that type of stuff gets worked out definitively under Seyverud.

For the record, I am a Shafer fan but I am a bigger fan of a winning competitive Syracuse football team.

If Shafer is fired and we get another HC that is a career coordinator with no HC experience or some such nonsense. Or a flash in the pan hot shot with no HC experience. In other words, if they try to cheap out and not get the best coach and staff available, I will be pissed and pushed to the point of Apathy. This would show me that their level of commitment does not match my own relatively speaking and that will nto be acceptable to me.

Oh - right. We're 58 vs FBS p5 teams at 29.5 ppg on D. NC State is 77 vs FBS p5 teams on O at 20.1 ppg.

So yeah. It's possible.
It is, but on the road we're giving up an average of 44 plus.

Willy75 said:
It is, but on the road we're giving up an average of 44 plus.

Right. UVa scored 21 pts in OT.

I'm not defending our D and what NC State did today vs Clemson was impressive.

But they are not that good at offense. 20ppg vs P5 is just about where we are.

Every coach would understand that a new A.D. would want to bring in their own guy. They would be that guy.

I am sure the fanbase that ends up with similar results as Shafer will be similarly understanding after 2-3 years.

I am sure the coaches' families will be similarly understanding when they ar packing their bags after 2-3 years.

I am sure the fanbase that ends up with similar results as Shafer will be similarly understanding after 2-3 years.

I am sure the coaches' families will be similarly understanding when they ar packing their bags after 2-3 years.
What about George McDonald's family? or Brian Pariani's? They were fired and didn't have the million dollar salary their HCs enjoyed.

Stanford firing Walt Harris after only two seasons didn't seem to hurt their ability to attract quality coaches, as they followed up the Harris firing with Harbaugh and Shaw.

What about George McDonald's family? or Brian Pariani's? They were fired and didn't have the million dollar salary their HCs enjoyed.

Were they the AD's guys like the dasher said? Nope, they were assistants.

The point isn't what might happen, it's how do you lure a really good head coaching candidate here with a short leash, low salary, bad fanbase, sub par recruiting area, etc.

If we are not going to go out and get someone who is obviously HEAD AND SHOULDERS above what we have now then who gives a shlit.

To fire Shafer for another OC, DC or hot shot...sorry I am not in agreement. Unless it is a proven HC with a history of consistent wins at the D1 level then we stay the course with Shafer.

To fire him and go out and get an unknown, I am not on board and I think most of the fanbase would agree with me.

So it's your opinion that Gross did the right thing by bringing grob back for a 4th year. I disagree.

Temple employed Bobby Wallace as HC for nine years. He never won more than 4 games. CuseOnly thinks he didn't get enough time.

Who did they hire after him?

The best part of the broadcast was Speilman saying well if they win out you have to keep Shafer and McDonough talking like a frustrated person on this board and passively saying that isn't happening. I didn't catch that the first time the game was on but I just watched the 4th quarter of the game now and that remark was totally Sean.

The point isn't what might happen, it's how do you lure a really good head coaching candidate here with a short leash, low salary, bad fanbase, sub par recruiting area, etc.

If we are not going to go out and get someone who is obviously HEAD AND SHOULDERS above what we have now then who gives a shlit.

To fire Shafer for another OC, DC or hot shot...sorry I am not in agreement. Unless it is a proven HC with a history of consistent wins at the D1 level then we stay the course with Shafer.

To fire him and go out and get an unknown, I am not on board and I think most of the fanbase would agree with me.
As I just asked you, you were in favor of bringing grob back for a 4th year? I disagree and think that set the program back.

How do you get a good coach? Money. P5 jobs can pay more than most P5 jobs.

Stanford firing Walt Harris after only two seasons didn't seem to hurt their ability to attract quality coaches, as they followed up the Harris firing with Harbaugh and Shaw.

We aren't Stanford. The endowment levels should give you an indication of that. Stanford 21.3 Billion, SU 1.1 Billion.

You shouldn't mention Stanford and compare them to SU. Not really in the same league or ballpark. They have coaching positions that are named and endowed, we don't have anything of the sort.

How do you get a good coach? Money. P5 jobs can pay more than most P5 jobs.

The explain why Matt Rhule gets paid as much as Shafer...

SHafer is the highest paid coach in our history and Rhule makes as much and he is the HC at Temple. Have we shown a propensity to pay our HC more than anyone else?

Yep. Haven't seen the university put their Money where their mouth is.

We aren't Stanford. The endowment levels should give you an indication of that. Stanford 21.3 Billion, SU 1.1 Billion.

You shouldn't mention Stanford and compare them to SU. Not really in the same league or ballpark. They have coaching positions that are named and endowed, we don't have anything of the sort.
How about answering my question. Were you in favor of keeping grob for a 4th year?

As I just asked you, you were in favor of bringing grob back for a 4th year? I disagree and think that set the program back.

No I wasn't but Shafer won twice as many games in his first year that Grob did in 4 years.

The explain why Matt Rhule gets paid as much as Shafer...
Why should Shafer get more in salary? He was a first time HC and there was no leverage to pay him more. Rhule is going to be making more money than Shafer next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom