Great look at SU's substitution pattern by Luke Winn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great look at SU's substitution pattern by Luke Winn

Who should start, who shouldn't is a very weak argument in my book. JB knows what he is going to get with his starting five. If he doesn't get what he thinks he should get then in the other players go in.

Brandon and Waiters... ask any coach in college if they would want them on their team and I bet they would say yes. I am so glad we have them. I love this board we haven't lost, ranked no1 and were wondering about why our starting line up is the way it is... no wonder JB is the way he is with our questions.

I agree Brandon is built like a tank, and I agree he is passive at times, probably too much so. But he just hasn't shot the ball that well overall the last 2 years; I'm not sure more shots would lead to a better %. Though I would like to see him drive more, but it's possible part of the reason he doesn't drive a lot is because he doesn't have a lot of quickness?

Not trying to hate on him, he is a perfectly solid college guard. But I don't see a whole lot of untapped potential is all.

When Triche is shooting about ~40% from 3 but only 42% overall we might be better served with him not driving unless we're trying to get bigs in foul trouble.

In contrast Waiters is 34% from 3 but 52% overall so he's the guy that should be driving more. You're right, Waiters is quicker and more explosive off the floor which is probably why he is the more aggressive of the 2.

Scoop at 32% from 3 and 55% overall shoud be driving more than Triche as well and also allows him to dish underneath for some nice assists. Only thing is when Scoop gets hacked he needs to pick up some of those free throws.

Due to free throws alone, Waiters and Triche should be the 2 on the court at the end of the games.

Again, I'm very glad that we have all 3, and MCW as well.

When Triche is shooting about ~40% from 3 but only 42% overall we might be better served with him not driving unless we're trying to get bigs in foul trouble.

In contrast Waiters is 34% from 3 but 52% overall so he's the guy that should be driving more. You're right, Waiters is quicker and more explosive off the floor which is probably why he is the more aggressive of the 2.

Scoop at 32% from 3 and 55% overall shoud be driving more than Triche as well and also allows him to dish underneath for some nice assists. Only thing is when Scoop gets hacked he needs to pick up some of those free throws.

Due to free throws alone, Waiters and Triche should be the 2 on the court at the end of the games.

Again, I'm very glad that we have all 3, and MCW as well.
I agree with most of what you said. Triche absolutely has to be in there at the end. Going back to his freshman year really he has by far been our best clutch FT shooter.

All 3 of our guards have strengths and weaknesses and I'm glad we have them all and they all play almost identical minutes. If one of the 3 is your favorite guy you can point to a stat that reflects it.

As for Triche vs Waiters : PPG = Waiters, APG = Triche, SPG = Waiters, FG % = Waiters, 3% = Triche, FT% = Triche

We should probably just enjoy having them both since they're both pretty good players.

Yup. Good post. My ONLY thing about Triche is that I don't think he knows how good he is/can be. He hangs his head and beats himself up. He's had a longer leash from JB since he's been here, probably because the coach recognizes that BT would have a more difficult time picking himself back up again if he was yanked in and out.

I think Waiters is better and its not even close.
He has isolation Triche doesn't. That says it all right there. He is a very agressive defender. End of story in my opinion.

Its Much harder to teach a guy isolation then it is to teach him how to be in control with it and up your shooting percentage a bit.

Someone like Scoop is a good example of that.

First you have to realize That both Triche and Dion start their offensive sets at the three point line.

Then look at guys like ,Andy Rautins, Nichols,,Devendorf, Gmac, Duany, Shumpert. Guys like that don't get drafted to often and its usually not high. Thats my pet pieve with Southerland right now(guy has to study some Larry Bird).

Sure there are guys like the occasional Wes Johnson, Reddick but its pretty rare.
Most of them end up like Gerry, Rautins, or Devendorf.

Then look at guys like Johnny, or Jameer Nelson, Sherman Douglas, or Kemba Walker, Tyreke Evans, Derrick Rose, or Duane Wade, CP3, or Kyrie Irving.

Point is its rare to see a non isolation player go really high. Someone who can kill in isolation can. Plus Dions shot(form confidence everything) is really rounding out.
Triche can barely shoot off the dribble right now. I would say even Scoop is better at it then him and hes smaller.

No knock on Triche he can get there but right now hes got work to do if he wants to become a isolation type. You could be right on him not feeling he can get better. Confidence is a feeling. Feeling it is half the game. Just ask Dion.

As I've said before, let's wait and see what Dion can do consistently when the BE games start.

I think JB likes offense off the bench and Waiters and Southerland give him plenty of it.

Seriously, is there a rule that we only have to introduce 5 guys at the beginning of a game? Maybe we could introduce ten. It would be intimidating to the other team- and a truthful introduction to our team.

Seriously, is there a rule that we only have to introduce 5 guys at the beginning of a game? Maybe we could introduce ten. It would be intimidating to the other team- and a truthful introduction to our team.

+1 SWC that would be awesome for our home games.

Great post by Luke ... regardless if you believe his spiel he admitted to having spent 7 hours working on that breakdown. Most national bloggers nowadays probably can do a weeks work in 7 hours, lol.

Now if he can do this on a daily basis we might not need SWC75 anymore :eek: ... nah ... that's a big IF ... haha.

It's nice to be at the top ... every passing week will bring a new analyst describing what has to be done to take us down. It's refreshing to see someone take another angle besides the whole 2-3 zone thing.

It's simply JB's means of not capitulating to Dion's ego/attitude/character/personality issues. He subs players retributively. He determines the starting lineups the same way. That's why the 'high character' guys like Triche and Forth are seemingly guaranteed to start.

I think not.

JB started Melo every game last year, employing the same substitution approach as Christmas this year, but I'm not sure he qualifies for anyone's "All-Character" team.

Triche is probably the best "built" guard in the country, he looks like he might be the strongest guard in America. I still think he is hte best jump shooter on our team, he has great handle, he's typically a tremendous finisher in the lane, he's a solid passer, his decision making is questionable at times, but is probably better than Scoop and Dion's.

Someone said the same thing in the chat the other night. Triche is definitely a nice player, but I honestly think he may be the worst finisher in traffic that I've ever seen at Syracuse. Someone agreed, don't recall who. He occasionally hits coming straight at the rim down the lane, but almost never hits going to the rim from the left or right off the bounce (in traffic). His percentage on dribble drives where he gets all the way to the rim has to be sub 25%.

...Triche is not as agressive as Dion nor Scoop; he is in more control, makes better decisions (asst vs TOs; and a better 3 pt shooter)...he will continue to start and finish those games we are barely in the lead...he is the best FT shooter on the team...Dion is a better one on one player...Scoop...makes creative plays when good Scoop and unfortunately, has as many bad Scoop moments...but all 3 are going to take us to the final 4

Billy Celuck but we all instinctively knew he was out during curfew playing with the drop dead gorgeous Cuse Coeds.
Hey...as much as I loved Celuck...on his best day he was no George Papadakis.

Triche is probably the best "built" guard in the country, he looks like he might be the strongest guard in America. I still think he is hte best jump shooter on our team, he has great handle, he's typically a tremendous finisher in the lane, he's a solid passer, his decision making is questionable at times, but is probably better than Scoop and Dion's. The problem is he isn't aggressive at all, and doesn't look for his own shot too often. Could you imagine him trying to post up Shabazz Napier or guards like that? He would be unstoppable, yet he tends to float around the perimeter and settle for jump shots (albeit he's got a good stroke). He plays like he's 6'1 170. He no doubt has the best overall skill set on our team (including his size of course), but he doesn't utilize it nearly enough.
At times he looks like he could be Billy Edelin 2.0. One thing has anyone blown more layups in his SU career than Triche?

At times he looks like he could be Billy Edelin 2.0. One thing has anyone blown more layups in his SU career than Triche?

I believe Jason Hart holds that record, and will in perpetuity.

I believe Jason Hart holds that record, and will in perpetuity.

Perhaps, but Louie McCroskey definitely had the highest rate of lay ups to balls getting blocked of anyone in ghe history of basketball. I think it was 1.00000001:1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom