Greatness knows greatness... | Syracusefan.com

Greatness knows greatness...

He presided over one of the most successful eras of SU football. And he's arguably one of the top two coaches in program history. I think he's worthy.
Of course he is. And while this is the football board, it's time to honor Rudy Hackett on the hoop side as well. Both are long overdue.

Might as well say it again right here. Time to honor him at the Dome.
It is rare for a guy who was fired to be honored later by the same school. The school is too embarrassed and…if I were in P’s shoes…there is probably some ill feeling towards SU. In fact, if I were him I’d have an enormous grudge but nobody holds a grudge like your old buddy Dick in Michigan. Perhaps P is a better person. The bar would be low.

Winningest percentage in the past hundred years and second only to Ben in total wins. 9 bowls in 14 years, three 10-win seasons, three 9-win seasons, only one losing season, great recruits. And all with financial support that had really tailed off in his final years.

At the time, I thought it best that P and SU part ways. Now, he looks like Vince Lombard compared to what we have had since him.

He SHOULD be honored but I doubt he ever will be.

Put me strongly in the honor Coach P camp. Do it this season. At halftime for a big game, preferably against a rival school he coached against.

We have already lost George Deleone. Let's honor Coach P while he is still here and give Syracuse fans a chance to honor him for his contributions to the program.

There is a major disconnect with the alums from the Coach P era and Syracuse. Few come back to the campus and if they have P5 level children, they consistently go elsewhere. It is nice Coach Ball was hired but even he is from a different era.

Honor Coach P ASAP. Put together a nice video (there are tons of great highlights). Invite all his former coaches and all his former players. Make this a big reunion. Invite the former players and coaches to tour the facilities and watch practice.

Let's start rebuilding the bridge between the players and coaches from that era and the school today.

No disrespect to Coach Mac who I adore, but I personally consider Coach P the second-best coach in program history.

Coach P is the second best coach in Syracuse football. It's crazy this is a debate. Mac had a bigger influence on turning it around but P put us in the upper echelon for a brief camelot period. The 90s > The 80s on the football field at SU.

Dick, I think bygones have become bygones with Paul and SU. Everyone involved in that decision is gone. I'm sure some trustee members are lingering like stale farts and he may have issues with them who didn't stand by him but i'm sure his family would appreciate a nice day honoring him.

If Bill Parcells can be in the same room with Bob Kraft these days, P can come home.

Coach P is the second best coach in Syracuse football. It's crazy this is a debate. Mac had a bigger influence on turning it around but P put us in the upper echelon for a brief camelot period. The 90s > The 80s on the football field at SU.

Dick, I think bygones have become bygones with Paul and SU. Everyone involved in that decision is gone. I'm sure some trustee members are lingering like stale farts and he may have issues with them who didn't stand by him but i'm sure his family would appreciate a nice day honoring him.

If Bill Parcells can be in the same room with Bob Kraft these days, P can come home.
I think the school should honor him - but it’s not crazy to debate if Mac was a better coach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 2 of his 3 10 win seasons were the first two taking over for Mac.

If P could’ve ever gotten over the hump in the mid to late 90s with his own players, then sure - but not getting 10 wins or a NYD bowl win with those McNabb teams is what’s crazy to me.

Either way - really good coach who won > 100 games - honor the man.

I hope you are right because he most certainly deserves to be honored by SU.

The only “downside” if you will, is how uncomfortable it would be for SU to have fans draw the parallel between the mostly successful Coach P years and the mostly unsuccessful years since.

That aside, it definitely needs to be done.

And while we are on the subject, JB is 78. Yeah, we have named the floor after him but he should have a statue outside of the Melo Center.

Would be nice if they also honored George D and his two sons fill in since he's no longer with us. One coaches (Mark) he was in NFL awhile but might be back in college now.

I think the school should honor him - but it’s not crazy to debate if Mac was a better coach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 2 of his 3 10 win seasons were the first two taking over for Mac.

If P could’ve ever gotten over the hump in the mid to late 90s with his own players, then sure - but not getting 10 wins or a NYD bowl win with those McNabb teams is what’s crazy to me.

Yep that is my only complaint about P, the McNabb teams underachieved the last couple of years, even with us getting to big bowl games each year. The man needs to be honored, no doubt in my mind. Coach Mac deserves his props for resurrecting a dead program and winning 21 games in two years, but his last two years after that were meh, so PP gets the nod as second best IMO

Honor Coach P during the UCONN-Cuse came in 2024 to add to the honor of including his home state.

And then bury the hell out of UCLOWN. Bad.

He presided over one of the most successful eras of SU football. And he's arguably one of the top two coaches in program history. I think he's worthy.
Mac isn’t Mac without him and George. There’s a reason Jake promoted the LB coach.

Put me strongly in the honor Coach P camp. Do it this season. At halftime for a big game, preferably against a rival school he coached against.

We have already lost George Deleone. Let's honor Coach P while he is still here and give Syracuse fans a chance to honor him for his contributions to the program.

There is a major disconnect with the alums from the Coach P era and Syracuse. Few come back to the campus and if they have P5 level children, they consistently go elsewhere. It is nice Coach Ball was hired but even he is from a different era.

Honor Coach P ASAP. Put together a nice video (there are tons of great highlights). Invite all his former coaches and all his former players. Make this a big reunion. Invite the former players and coaches to tour the facilities and watch practice.

Let's start rebuilding the bridge between the players and coaches from that era and the school today.
Syracuse needs to step up

Unfortunately the University seems adverse to good publicity.
This would be a win win situation to honor a good man who ran a good program for 15 years.

I will say this about Coach Mac, for some reason, I always had the narrative in my head that we played relatively easy schedules in the 80s as an independent, and then once we joined the Big East and Coach P took over the schedules got much harder. That doesn't seem to be accurate.

Mac played some absolutely brutal schedules. In the 121-year history of the program, 1984 was the hardest schedule in school history, 1981 the 4th hardest, and 1982 the 6th hardest.

Coach P only faced one of the Top 20 hardest schedules in our history, 7th hardest in 2001.

They were different coaches with different sets of requirements. Coach Mac had to be head cheerleader, salesman and father figure. He had to bring us back from the brink. And with the help of the Dome - and some great hires - he did just that.

Coach P had to be disciplinarian and Coach. He had to sustain the program, which is equally difficult for various reasons.

Both were the right guy at the right time. Congrats to Jake for seeing it. Agree that Coach P was probably the better football coach. Coach Mac was the better inspiration and figurehead.

Both are legend and should be honored as such.

I will say this about Coach Mac, for some reason, I always had the narrative in my head that we played relatively easy schedules in the 80s as an independent, and then once we joined the Big East and Coach P took over the schedules got much harder. That doesn't seem to be accurate.

Mac played some absolutely brutal schedules. In the 121-year history of the program, 1984 was the hardest schedule in school history, 1981 the 4th hardest, and 1982 the 6th hardest.

Coach P only faced one of the Top 20 hardest schedules in our history, 7th hardest in 2001.
In one 11 game season in the early 80s, I think we faced off against 9 guys who played QB in the NFL.

Losing Vick changed everything for Paul. A team with Vick and Freeney goes undefeated. 4-5 sacks and 4-5 TDs per game. SU would have been the greatest show on turf.

Waiting for a response from OrangePa, one of a very small number of supporters that Paul had on this forum leading up to and after his dismissal. We should all be lucky enough to have a friend as loyal as him (or her?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom