Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA...

That's called the fallacy of composition, or "What's true in general is not always true in the specific, and what's true in the specific is not always true in general."
&

You don't need to shovel my driveway, but I'll keep on plowing your mom.

Only on this board would we find these two sentences on the same page in the same thread...Awesome.

I think that is definitely true situationally on this forum. Not sure if it applied to "many," but definitely to some. Some posters seem so intent upon protecting themselves from eventual disappointment that they predict negative outcomes in advance, as a way to insulate themselves from the disappointment that eventually comes with losing.

For some fans, guarding against the potential for letdown seems more important than enjoying the ride.

This is a very insightful post. You have a good line on human nature. Nate Silver, in his excellent book "The Signal And The Noise" reports a similar phenomenon in Media weather forecasting. You may have noticed that it is more common for outlets such as The Weather Channel to overpredict extreme weather. Silver concludes that this is no accident. Media weather outlets overpredict on purpose. They receive far more angry letters when an extreme weather event is underpredicted. So if the Weather Channel tells you that you may get 4" of snow, and you get 12", you are angry. However if they predict 12" and you get only 4" you've prepared for the worst and it didn't happen. So you are not angry. Instead you are relieved.

The most painful game outcome for a fan is to lose when you expect to win. So to avoid pain, people tend to predict the worst.

I wouldn't be shocked if we lost both of those games. It's nothing to get worked up about, really.

Seriously. WHY these posts and what makes someone actually type on here What Greenberg, Digger Phelps, and others say. It's not like it's rocket science or some slander. Yes it can happen, we get it. Make it stop. Make these posts stop.

I would be shocked if we lost to UVA

To each their own, but I'm surprised that you would be shocked if we lost a game that Vegas will probably have around a pick em, give or take a point or two.

Greenburg jumped off the SU bandwagon after the close wins over Pitt and NC St. Now he thinks we're overrated. But every other team has close wins also. They just weren't as dramatic or in the spotlight which is what happens to the #1 ranked team. For example:
UVA -- 3 close wins: SMU by 3, Pitt by 3 on a buzzer beater, Clemson by 5 (in a game that went to the last minute).

Duke -- 3 close wins: Vermont by 1, UVA by 4, Maryland by 2 (and MD's last shot rimmed out).

Florida-- 3 close wins: Florida St by 1, Memphis by 2, Arkansas by 2 in OT.

Every highly ranked team has some close wins...I'm not looking up all of them but you get the point.

Close wins is such a silly thing to compare teams that have such a difference in losses...but I agree with you.

We just won the games vs Pitt. That style was pretty successful against us. Not sure how you can be shocked if we lose to a similar style team who is playing much better than Pitt right now.

Certainly I believe we can and will win, because we are just good at winning. But there is decent chances we lose, and the Pitt game only goes to support that style can keep it close.

I just don't understand your logic. Virginia is better than Pitt.
my point is we never beat Pitt with their style and this years team beat them twice, so I am not worried about UVA who is not nearly as good at Pitt's style

To each their own, but I'm surprised that you would be shocked if we lost a game that Vegas will probably have around a pick em, give or take a point or two.
I didn't say Vegas would be shocked, I said I would be. Am I allowed to have an opinion or do I need to ask Vegas what they think?

my point is we never beat Pitt with their style and this years team beat them twice, so I am not worried about UVA who is not nearly as good at Pitt's style

UVa is thug ball? Really? I'd always thought of them more as a track team with a basketball, based on the Sean Singletary-JR Reynolds years. Seriously?

You don't need to shovel my driveway, but I'll keep on plowing your mom.

The thing with these talking heads on TV is, they're playing the odds. The odds are Syracuse will lose one of these games- we've been dancing with lady luck quite a bit lately, and she's a fickle dance partner. We've gotten some calls that, when we get down to the actual real estate of Tobacco Road, we may not get. We're tired. We're good, but maybe not as good as we show. I wouldn't be shocked or distraught over a loss to the 'Hoos, to Douche, or both. I don't want a loss at all, at least until sometime in 2015, but odds are, we'll lose. I just don't want the last game we play this year- whenever it is- to be a loss.

Greeney and a large number of the blowhards on TV are trying to get on the train for a loss before it happens so they can boost their Q ratings and make themselves look smart. Nothing to lose. If they're wrong, they can just say SU really IS a good team and blah, blah, blah.

I can see UVA getting a 1 seed in the ACC tourney with a win and us also losing to Douche, but not in the tourney.

I wanted to like your post, but morally and ethically I just can't.

I didn't say Vegas would be shocked, I said I would be. Am I allowed to have an opinion or do I need to ask Vegas what they think?

Of course you're allowed to have an opinion, that's why the first thing I said was "to each their own." I'm just saying your opinion surprised me.

In case anyone is interested here is what they said Duke is a final four team, both said we would lose 2 of the next 3 road games, they questioned our depth and said Virginia will be ACC champs.

Hear it for yourself

Greenberg/Katz talk NCAA B Ball

you are allowed to have your opinion... and we are allowed to tell you its wrong.

and hopefully, walk you to the light...

UVa is thug ball? Really? I'd always thought of them more as a track team with a basketball, based on the Sean Singletary-JR Reynolds years. Seriously?
not this year, they play a very similar style to Pitt, and this style usually gives us trouble, but not this years team because we have already beat the masters of this style twice.

Of course you're allowed to have an opinion, that's why the first thing I said was "to each their own." I'm just saying your opinion surprised me.
ok well I got a feeling and I am never wrong

Seriously. WHY these posts and what makes someone actually type on here What Greenberg, Digger Phelps, and others say. It's not like it's rocket science or some slander. Yes it can happen, we get it. Make it stop. Make these posts stop.
Are you worked up over my post or the OP? I can't tell.

Hmmm. I think I'll just sit back and watch them play the games. And by the way, I like our chances.

The seasons' trajectory has been fantastic and beyond most peoples wildest expectations. So what is there to fret about. To be undefeated at this juncture in time is incredible and even if we do drop a few games. BFD!

As JB mentioned in his Katz interview, the temporary loss of Baye has enabled Rak to realize what he is capable of and if we get continued play from Rak like that... Watch out!!!

Not to mention we have been on a protracted slump in several areas and even with that being the case and being shorthanded and only playing 6 guess what? We have still won.

Yup folks, Greendirge and all the others can make all the trendy predictions they want, the games still have to be played. This team still has it's best games inside of them and yet to be played.

Hmmm. I think I'll just sit back and watch them play the games. And by the way, I like our chances.

The seasons' trajectory has been fantastic and beyond most peoples wildest expectations. So what is there to fret about. To be undefeated at this juncture in time is incredible and even if we do drop a few games. BFD!

As JB mentioned in his Katz interview, the temporary loss of Baye has enabled Rak to realize what he is capable of and if we get continued play from Rak like that... Watch out!!!

Not to mention we have been on a protracted slump in several areas and even with that being the case and being shorthanded and only playing 6 guess what? We have still won.

Yup folks, Greendirge and all the others can make all the trendy predictions they want, the games still have to be played. This team still has it's best games inside of them and yet to be played.

And that's the truth. But if everybody realized that, what would be the point of having these fan forums, other than to congratulate ourselves for wins, and to bitch about defeats? :D

Talking heads get paid to talk. It's all part of the process. Check the length of this thread, for example. The media doesn't care what people talk about, just as long as they're talking. :)
In addition UVA had a fight with the hokies last night, in addition Vermont hit the winning shot vs. duke, problem is ball was in his hands whe buzzer sounded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom