G's Free Throws | Syracusefan.com

G's Free Throws

skurey

Living Legend
I know everyone has their own technique when it comes to FT shooting but his is awful. It seems like he's in a race to shoot them as fast as possible. Just grabs the ball and goes up with it.

yeah but he switched to that technique last year after he'd really been struggling for a long time before - when he switched he shot much better from the line the last part of last season... but yeah, maybe it's time for another tweak

Maybe he should back up, self-pass by spinning the ball to himself and step into it, mimicking a catch and shoot situation.

I'm only half joking. He's a really good player but his FT shooting is a problem. Your best scorer, driver, and ball handler has to be able to make FT's because he's going to get to the line a lot, and also if we are protecting a late lead he's going to have the ball a lot.

Well, at least he isn't shooting granny style like Onuaku's brother at UofL.

I suspect it's mental. When he shoots the three, he lets it fly. When he shoots free throws, it's a much more calculated release.

I wish he was on our team. He would solve most of the fatal flaws we have.
Not sure, he hasn't learned to stay out of foul trouble yet. Don't think I have seen a game where he played more than 25 minutes.

It's a shame because he did have an outside shot at the NBA with his length, ball handling, and shooting range...but that FT% is a killer

It's a shame because he did have an outside shot at the NBA with his length, ball handling, and shooting range...but that FT% is a killer
Never hurt Bruce Bowen. I could see G in a similar role.

Never hurt Bruce Bowen. I could see G in a similar role.

Bowen could play serious D and hit NBA threes.

G is playing out of position and has been playing zone.

Well, at least he isn't shooting granny style like Onuaku's brother at UofL.
Doesn't matter how you shoot them...as long as they go in.

Rick Barry's son Canyon (at Charleston) is shooting them underhanded like his dad and he's 84% from the line.
And who says big men can't shoot them?
Kyle Wiltjer at Gonzaga is better than 93%...7th in the country.

And while I'm at it...for those who thought the Orange should have looked at getting local product Tyler Kavanaugh as a transfer...he's leading GW averaging almost 16 points...averaging 7 rebounds and shooting 88% from the line.

Bowen could play serious D and hit NBA threes.

G is playing out of position and has been playing zone.
G has deep range. And I think he'll be a great M2M defender

Maybe he should back up, self-pass by spinning the ball to himself and step into it, mimicking a catch and shoot situation.

I'm only half joking. He's a really good player but his FT shooting is a problem. Your best scorer, driver, and ball handler has to be able to make FT's because he's going to get to the line a lot, and also if we are protecting a late lead he's going to have the ball a lot.

He really should shoot underhand. Its very sad to see anyone shoot under 75% from the line when just about everyone would shoot 75-80 or even higher underhand.

But facts are none of my business. I'll just keep watching very talented people let ego get in the way from maximizing their performance.

I wish he was on our team. He would solve most of the fatal flaws we have.
Yeah, I see him play locally here and he is quickly becoming a force inside. He should have followed in his brother's footsteps (Cuse needs him as you say), but it's understandable he did not.

He really should shoot underhand. Its very sad to see anyone shoot under 75% from the line when just about everyone would shoot 75-80 or even higher underhand.

But facts are none of my business. I'll just keep watching very talented people let ego get in the way from maximizing their performance.
i wonder about that since most people shoot under 50% even most HS kids dont shoot 70 but i agree a college kid with unlimited practice time to shoot should better than 70%. but i am also not running full sprints and getting snockered before every shoot either.

i wonder about that since most people shoot under 50% even most HS kids dont shoot 70 but i agree a college kid with unlimited practice time to shoot should better than 70%. but i am also not running full sprints and getting snockered before every shoot either.
Yeah game and practice shooting are just sooooo different.

are you saying they arent or they are ? they are 200% different in my coaching experience.
I'm saying they absolutely are different. I had coaches early on say "don't just shoot to shoot, shoot like you're playing in a game." Had similar experience in football. Playing catch is basically worthless. Run you fakes, drop backs, progress reads, etc.

Doesn't matter how you shoot them...as long as they go in.

Rick Barry's son Canyon (at Charleston) is shooting them underhanded like his dad and he's 84% from the line.
And who says big men can't shoot them?
Kyle Wiltjer at Gonzaga is better than 93%...7th in the country.

And while I'm at it...for those who thought the Orange should have looked at getting local product Tyler Kavanaugh as a transfer...he's leading GW averaging almost 16 points...averaging 7 rebounds and shooting 88% from the line.
Would he have fallen under 2 year transfer rule

It's weird to me how people think underhanded FT shooting is some kind of foolproof way to improve a player's FT% because Rick Barry shot them that way.

I never saw Rick Barry play but from everything I've read about him, he had an incredible shooting touch, unlimited range and supreme confidence.

Why would a technique that worked for him automatically work for guys who can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet (e.g. Tyler Roberson and Arinze Onuaku)?

Why wouldn't the same psychological issues that affect poor FT shooters affect them when they shoot underhanded?

It's weird to me how people think underhanded FT shooting is some kind of foolproof way to improve a player's FT% because Rick Barry shot them that way.

I never saw Rick Barry play but from everything I've read about him, he had an incredible shooting touch, unlimited range and supreme confidence.

Why would a technique that worked for him automatically work for guys who can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet (e.g. Tyler Roberson and Arinze Onuaku)?

Why wouldn't the same psychological issues that affect poor FT shooters affect them when they shoot underhanded?

because its a much easier motion to repeat and the angles work better. rick barry isnt the only 1 who has done it.

its weird to me that people who can't make FT's dont try it and its even weirder to me when people who dont know either way if it will help or not question a change that would help without doing any research on it. Just my 2 cents.

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/the-body/07-physics-proves-it-everyone-should-shoot-granny-style

because its a much easier motion to repeat and the angles work better. rick barry isnt the only 1 who has done it.

its weird to me that people who can't make FT's dont try it and its even weirder to me when people who dont know either way if it will help or not question a change that would help without doing any research on it. Just my 2 cents.

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/the-body/07-physics-proves-it-everyone-should-shoot-granny-style
Wilt was bad both ways, but he wasn't too proud to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom