g's pro career

how far does g go?

• NBA All Star +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solid NBA career of 5+ years

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Short NBA career/International journeyman

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • never makes the NBA; overseas player and/or D-league; quits under "odd" circumstances; coaches Duke

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

Shark58

BANNED
he gone, but how far you think he goes at the next level?

I know he's "old" and I know how the NBA currently feels about upside versus a well rounded game. just see the recent case of CMcC vs Rak. That said I thin that at the very least he should have a solid rotational 7+ year career. I think he's an ideal 2 at the next level with D and range. He can also cover the 1 and 3.

how do you think this history will be written?

I know he's "old" and I know how the NBA currently feels about upside versus a well rounded game. just see the recent case of CMcC vs Rak. That said I thin that at the very least he should have a solid rotational 7+ year career. I think he's an ideal 2 at the next level with D and range. He can also cover the 1 and 3.

You do make a great point with the fact that the 2 position in the NBA is garbage right now.

You do make a great point with the fact that the 2 position in the NBA is garbage right now.

if I'm drawing up a roster his skill set and size is exactly what I'd be looking for. his versatility is only a plus (unless you are an NBA scout/GM and proven skills<upside potential)

I don't really follow or watch the NBA, so I'm probably not a good judge, but I see a lot of NBA potential in G.
I think he definitely deserves a shot in the NBA as a 2 guard.
One move in his arsenal that he's perfected in his time at SU is the pump fake to get a guy off his feet and then lean into him while taking a shot to draw the 2 shot foul ( or the "and 1").
He seems to have gotten at least a couple of those every game this year.

Mike is a perfect compliment to an undersized score first combo guard.
Whether or not he gets in the right situation is another story. Portland, brooklyn and boston come to mind.

My realistic hope is he carves out a nice 3&D NBA wing career. Have to hope his improved stroke from 3 continues to develop and that he has the lateral agility to defend the perimeter in the NBA. If he hits on both of those he absolutely has the skill-set, size and athleticism to (potentially) have a very nice career as a role player in the NBA.

Last edited:
G has balled out this year, oddly enough I think he refers too much trying to pass the rock when he has a lane to the bucket.

I really think he's an NBA guy and maybe with a year of seasoning in the DL he will get where he should be and spend at least a few seasons on an NBA roster, hopefully carving out a nice niche role for himself.

He's a bit on the old side. His offensive game is pretty solid; his handle isn't tight, but he gets to the rack and is a really good shooter who can create his own shot. His length is a huge positive.

The age old question -- can he play man defense? he's not a great passer, despite playing PG fo rus and and despite translating to a 2G in the NBA. He's a scorer though and he'll get drafted. Who know's maybe if we make the tourney he has 3 or 4 good games that catapult him to late 1st round.

It's hard to say. Which G are we referring to? The one that showed up today? Or the one that showed up vs Pitt and Louisville?
I guess that point is, the guy is mad inconsistent which doesnt bode well for success at the next level.

I think Mike is a wonderful college player whose game won't translate to the NBA. I am sure he'll have a professional career; D League or International depending on his desires, but I would be shocked if he spends much time on an actual NBA roster.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. Which G are we referring to? The one that showed up today? Or the one that showed up vs Pitt and Louisville?
I guess that point is, the guy is mad inconsistent which doesnt bode well for success at the next level.
The one that through 29 games is shooting 40% from 3. He is the same one that averages over 17 pts a game. Having said that, I doubt G can stay in the NBA

I think given the chance, he could be a role player off the bench. The problem is getting the chance. It's far more likely he is the last guy on the bench and spends most of his time in street clothes or a d league uni.

The biggest limiting factor is going to be his relatively loose handle and the fact he's a straight-line driver without much of a left hand. If he can improve these areas, he could carve out a role in the NBA for a little while. His size for the position and hopefully his shooting will be enough to get him at least an opportunity.

I went with the third choice.

He's got Delonte West's old man's game as a NBA 2. He may crack a roster, but will only flourish in the lower leagues me fears.

He's tough - he might get picked by the right team and have a short stint, but I doubt he spends much, if any, time in the NBA. I suppose if somehow Philly drafts him he could end up starting 20 games as a rookie and parlay that into something. Or, he could get drafted by some mildly competent team and spend some time in the NBDL before heading off to Europe. I guess I would vote for, unlikely, but possible that he gets some run.

I never really saw this much development coming from him though, so hopefully he continues to shock me. :) Go G!

If we make it to the second weekend and he plays well, I think he could go late 1st.

The questions for him are:

Can he guard man.. I think he can.

Can he quicken his release.. I think he can.

If Dion Waiters can get 20 minutes a game on OKC at the 2g, G has a chance.

If we make it to the second weekend and he plays well, I think he could go late 1st.

The questions for him are:

Can he guard man.. I think he can.

Can he quicken his release.. I think he can.

If Dion Waiters can get 20 minutes a game on OKC at the 2g, G has a chance.

lol...poor Dion.

lol...poor Dion.
Dion played decent last night but ironically, a team that I think might take a late 1st on G would be OKC.

If they had a 6-7 3&D NBA ready 2G on the cheap that could replace Roberson and/or Dion, they would be in a much better position.

He has the size to switch on defense and then would be a weapon hovering around the 3 point line waiting for kickouts from KD and Westbrook.

Developed into a great college player despite playing out of position. He doesn't have the handle to make it as a 2 in the NBA. He will get a shot to make an NBA roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a long career overseas.

Developed into a great college player despite playing out of position. He doesn't have the handle to make it as a 2 in the NBA. He will get a shot to make an NBA roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a long career overseas.
But there's not too many 2g in the NBA with a handle that's anything special.

On the best teams, the 2g is a 3/D player who just rips kickouts.

Danny Green
JJ Redick
Kyle Korver

G's shooting over 40% from 3 in the ACC. He's driving the lane at will and either scoring or getting fouled. His defense is excellent -- he's leading the conference in steals. His numbers are better than Damien Lee's across the board. Grayson Allen's offensive numbers are slightly better (a couple more ppg and about .10th better from deep), but I don't think he's as athletic as G (or as long). Then there's Valentine and the 2 kids from Florida state (beasley and bacon). Valentine's probably the (domestic) cream of this draft crop at the 2. Beasley (malik) is smaller than G, doesn't shoot it quite as well .. but is very athletic.

There are a couple foreign dudes too, but I don't think it's unfair to say that G's a top 5 SG who will probably go early second. I see him as a potential NBA rotation guy .. not sure about an impact player. But I think he could play at that level, although he'll probably end up playing internationally.

Danny Green
JJ Redick
Kyle Korver

We will see soon enough. I'm not sure I know what you mean by 3/D player, but I think you are underestimating NBA 2 skill sets. Harden, Thompson, Butler, DeRozan, Beal, Oladipo, Wade are the prototypes; but most of the other 2s do a lot more than "just rip kickoputs."

Danny Green
JJ Redick
Kyle Korver

Danny Green might be the best comparison, and you see Pop pull him from games after 90 seconds sometimes, because his motor and decision making has been a question. But I think JJ and Kyle are different in that they are elite shooters, and G is not in that category. He could catch on, but he won't put up nearly the numbers of these guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom