Guys! B-b-b-but... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guys! B-b-b-but...

Finwad32 said:
Your metric has been results. Well, it took GRob twice as long to win the same amount of games as HCSS. Therefore, he is twice the coach. Hence, your comparison is invalid.
I'm confused. So you're ok with Shafer's record?

Maxwell.

Newhouse.

School of Performing Arts/Bandier Program(!!!!).

School of Fine Arts.

There are components of the University that are certainly premier.

Of course there are premier components, but we are not premier across the board. If you asked non-Syracuse alums, I would imagine the perception would be the same.

It doesn't even matter to me anymore what kind of offense we run. The Dome provides us with perfect conditions for half the games on our schedule, so you'd think that we'd really look to air the ball out. But I've given up on waiting for that to happen [sorry OttoInTheGrotto]. I don't care whether we run Paul Johnson's rush oriented offense at GT, the wishbone--whatever. Just run something and run it reasonably well.

Every other college out there seems capable of running some semblance of a structured offense that produces--its unacceptable in my mind that we can't. My opinion only, but that's my real indictment of Shafer. I like [a LOT] what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball. If we had the same success on offense, then we'd be a borderline top 25 team. He really needs to figure things out -- and your questions are a good place to start.

Is this staff as currently constituted the right group to achieve whatever they're trying to achieve? Or does he need to bring in an OC who is more proven and a better teacher than the current group? I think that Shafer's tenure as our head coach depends on how he approaches those set of decisions.

I agree and regarding his vision...is it his or what he thinks others think it should be? To me, SS just seems to unsure on what direction he wants this offense to be and at this point that worries me. I'm hoping that Lester surprises me and makes this offense a scoring machine. One more flip flop and he's gone so as many have said he has all his eggs in Lesters basket and his job will depend on it.

Results. Results. Results.

I want a coach that represents the premier university I attended. I really hope the Chancellor ups the admissions standards. Hopefully that applies to coaches as well. Because this getting out coached every week thing is getting embarrassing. I'm tired of bluster being held up as coaching competency.

But if any of you want to defend his record. Please. I will wait.
I think you shoul take the lead. I think a $500,000.00 contribution to FB, contingent on firing Schafer, might get the ball rolling.

We struggled early in redzone which caused us losses vs Louiville and Maryland. After the Hunt injury and after the demotion of McD, Shafer only lost one game that I thought we should have won. With the injuries and the limitations on offense. We should have atleast beat NC State. If we had Hunt we would have atleast beaten NC State, Duke and I would even say Clemson. Clemson offense was terrible with Cole Stout. The defense played well enough to win those games if we had a competent QB. So that's atleast. 6-6 and a bowl game win could had made it 7-6. They only thing I questioned was his decision to publically demote McD in the middle of the season. We were better off having him run his offense the rest of the season and then make the changes. he could have discreetly given Lester a larger role in the offense. Possibly making him run game coord or something.

Last edited:
SmilinBob said:
I agree and regarding his vision...is it his or what he thinks others think it should be? To me, SS just seems to unsure on what direction he wants this offense to be and at this point that worries me. I'm hoping that Lester surprises me and makes this offense a scoring machine. One more flip flop and he's gone so as many have said he has all his eggs in Lesters basket and his job will depend on it.
Could not agree more. It's clear he doesn't have a vision. I get excoriated for saying he's not smart, but the reality is he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. He's banking on his buddy Lester to bail him out, which shows he's going to back being loyal rather than being intelligent. He gets one more year. Hopefully that's all he gets.

We struggled early in redzone which caused us losses vs Louiville and Maryland. After the Hunt injury and after the demotion of McD, Shafer only lost one game that I thought we should have won. With the injuries and the limitations on offense. We should have atleast beat NC State. If we had Hunt we would have atleast beaten NC State, Duke and I would even say Clemson. Clemson offense was terrible with Cole Stout. The defense played well enough to win those games if we had a competent QB. So that's atleast. 6-6 and a bowl game win could had made it 7-6. They only thing I questioned was his decision to publically demote McD in the middle of the season. We were better off having him run his offense the rest of the season and then make the changes. he could have discreetly have Lester more of a role. Possibly making him run game coord or something.

The McDonald move is an interesting move and there had to be more to that than what we know.

Capt. Tuttle said:
I think you shoul take the lead. I think a $500,000.00 contribution to FB, contingent on firing Schafer, might get the ball rolling.
Not a bad idea.

Could not agree more. It's clear he doesn't have a vision. I get excoriated for saying he's not smart, but the reality is he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. He's banking on his buddy Lester to bail him out, which shows he's going to back being loyal rather than being intelligent. He gets one more year. Hopefully that's all he gets.

My best guess is that he wanted an explosive open offense that could score a lot of points/be exciting but in his heart of hearts he wanted more of a Lester type offense.

Ha! I've been here since Bees migrated to the other site from Syracuse Dot Com. Check my profile. But I guess this is the "Shafer is a good man therefore cannot be called out" board now? Shafer lost me as he's losing a lot of the fan base. If I can't call him names say I'm through with him on this message board, there's a problem with this message board.

Can you call out his idiotic postgame ISIS comments? Sure.

Can you call out his sideline demeanor and the fact that he has been flagged for it? You bet.

Can you question many of his in-game coaching decisions? Yup.

Can you call the man a clown? F no. He is a very good defensive-minded coach who made the wrong hire for OC and certainly a few other questionable hires in other spots. He is not a clown. Yeesh.

Obviously you didn't go to Newhouse, just saying...

What is that supposed to mean? I own my own business, and a successful one at that, without a "Newhouse" token. Give me a break. Everyone knows that Newhouse is a premier program, but it doesn't make every other program at Syracuse one.

My brother graduated from Newhouse though if that makes me look better in your eyes.

Can you call out his sideline demeanor and the fact that he has been flagged for it? You bet.

Can you call the man a clown? F no. He is a very good defensive-minded coach who made the wrong hire for OC and certainly a few other questionable hires in other spots. He is not a clown. Yeesh.

Far from a clown. Intelligent, engaging and motivating as a man/coach. Throwing shots acrossed the bow at him are classless. Question coaching decisions all you want, no need to go personal.

Was GROB a clown? If we have another 3 win season is that clown worthy? I just want to know when the name fits and what our expectation of clown behavior?

I'm being flippant but my rope is very thin with Scott Shafer. Not sure how any reasonable person would think otherwise unless the expectations are 8 win team every 13 years

Rocco said:
Can you call out his idiotic postgame ISIS comments? Sure. Can you call out his sideline demeanor and the fact that he has been flagged for it? You bet. Can you question many of his in-game coaching decisions? Yup. Can you call the man a clown? F no. He is a very good defensive-minded coach who made the wrong hire for OC and certainly a few other questionable hires in other spots. He is not a clown. Yeesh.
Why is clown off limits? I don't understand why that word is such a hot button for some. To me, he has made our program a joke (again) as a head coach. So he's a clown. I'm sorry if that word offends you. You don't agree with me. I'm okay with that. I'm assuming we both want the same thing--which is a FB program to be proud of. Shafer doesn't seem capable of creating that. As for words, there are many other words I use to describe Shafer as well, unfortunately I can't use the only word I'd really like to--unemployed.

elimunelson said:
Was GROB a clown? If we have another 3 win season is that clown worthy? I just want to know when the name fits and what our expectation of clown behavior? I'm being flippant but my rope is very thin with Scott Shafer. Not sure how any reasonable person would think otherwise unless the expectations are 8 win team every 13 years
Hallelujah.

I'm thinking the semantics of what a clown is may be a problem here. SS is a damn good man and if it means he's an idiot/moron/jerk then clown is the completely wrong thing to say. If it means you think he can't run a team and it's a joke...that's different. I consider clowns scary and creepy.

Rocco said:
What is that supposed to mean? I own my own business, and a successful one at that, without a "Newhouse" token. Give me a break. Everyone knows that Newhouse is a premier program, but it doesn't make every other program at Syracuse one. My brother graduated from Newhouse though if that makes me look better in your eyes.
FWIW--I'm sorry. I was being flip and only meant to praise the school. Didn't need to take a shot at you. I've always been a fan of your posts.

Shafer on the other hand is a public figure and will continue to be the focus of my personal attacks until he is gone. Flame on!

Maxwell.

Newhouse.

School of Performing Arts/Bandier Program(!!!!).

School of Fine Arts.

There are components of the University that are certainly premier.

Throw in Creative Writing as well as one of the top 5 in the country. Architecture is up there as well.

That said the university itself is not premier but is definitely solid. Unfortunately the school's reputation tends to be driven by perception of its undergraduate student base which has gone down hill. We don't have a top ranked law school and have no medical school - those are other reputation drivers. The business school is mediocre.

But the programs we do have strength in are very very good...and they actually as a group add up to something pretty unique. We're sort of the inverse profile of the University of Rochester which is strong in technical / math / hard science/ engineering. Gotta leverage our positives into strengthening the overall university.

I found a picture of Shafer that confirms my suspicions about him. I changed my avatar accordingly. Thankfully we now have proof that the man is indeed a complete and total clown.

Sure we only won 3 games, BUT Shafer has POOL PARTIES!!! At his HOUSE! He's a PLAYER'S COACH and they love PLAYING HARD for him!

Ugh. Kill me. Can't wait for this clown to be gone.

FWIW--I rarely post, but I've seen enough. Tired of the meathead. His act has worn thin.
Was Marrone a clown after winning 4 games, or is 3 the cutoff? Was Shafer a clown after leading the team to a bowl game victory last year, or are the clownish qualities, all of which were present in last year's winning season, only worth commenting on now after a subpar season?

SUinNYC said:
Same could be said about GRob.

That makes them exactly the same them. How could I miss that?!

Brilliant.

SUinNYC said:
Ha! I've been here since Bees migrated to the other site from Syracuse Dot Com. Check my profile. But I guess this is the "Shafer is a good man therefore cannot be called out" board now? Shafer lost me as he's losing a lot of the fan base. If I can't call him names say I'm through with him on this message board, there's a problem with this message board.

Point sailed over your head, I think. Not surprised.

You were saying "w-l record" is all that counts. Then called him a clown and stupid. If you want to talk w-l, coaching acumen, etc. Fine. If your ragging on his intelligence and demeanor them you've brought other things into the conversation OUTSIDE of w-l record (apparently it's not the only thing that counts now) - to which I would say "he's a good guy who cares about his players, works his a$$ off, is a very accomplished defensive coordinator, and seems to be the best recruiter at HC we've had since the early years of Coach P."

SUinNYC said:

Sigh. Not a single clue? Did the top 35 defense happen by accident?