Hafley leaving BC for NFL | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hafley leaving BC for NFL

Being objective (again, being objective. I’m a diehard born and raised central New York native)- there’s an argument JMU is a better job than SU. I might get hate for that, but you have to understand JMU is a sleeping giant athletic program in a great location. They have a nice stadium and same culture around the program that other big Carolinas/virginias schools have. Big alumni base. SU has a lot going for it in terms of the dome and history of the program, but you have to look forward here and see that JMU went from FCS to FBS and barely skipped a beat

They just won a ton of games and right now its a Cincinatti type job but that all ends when they drop to 6 wins in a trash conference.

Good FCS always slays crap FBS Colorado opens with NDSU this year you don't think I'm gonna put a couple hundred on the Bizon ML?

Chesney was very smart to correctly not risk a down year at HC and jump while he could. He can probably cruise control to a bunch of wins too. All that doesn't make JMU some powerhouse they play total nobodies.

Sorry you don't like the Boston area. Its pretty much Syracuse but just a few more rich people and bigger. Slightly easier state for taxes and all that than NYS.

Rural Southern VA is hell can’t think of anywhere worse was there for the VT game remote backwards lots of cops trump flags etc. Boston is way better I’m 5 mins from my marina good economy etc. I did skip our game vs BC Tues though since I went to the Celtics the night before walking then taking the train and 70 mins of driving in traffic from the other side of town just wasn’t happening.

Maybe but what does that have to do with JMU?

Maybe but what does that have to do with JMU?
JMU cookie cutter turnkey job like Cincy those years everyone stepped up and the next coach had nothing to do.

Anyways not my call I didn't mention Chesney. BC is in trouble but thats a nice bye for us in November.

We should probably thank CDRW for whatever he did bc if we win that one Dino is our coach still.

SU-VT this year was stuff of nightmares going to that game and those 2 days were maybe the worst things I’ve ever done or participated in complete traumatic experience.

Sorry for the politics but that really really sucked.

Syracuse and BC are better jobs than JMU.

Maybe in 10 years let’s revisit. Both SU and bc have history, fan bases, real conference and money. If unlocked both can be special places. We are seeing it w fran

Chesney was my guy as a fan of holy cross and seeing him up close. As a Syracuse fan it would b bad if he turned around and took this job. He’s a damn good coach. But for intrigue I think a rivalry would burn bright w Fran and Bob
If it goes as planned it will be comical folks thinking JMU is the better job than SU.

I've driven through Harrisonburg it isn't Southern VA. Nice area and cute little stadium. However it is a great G5 gig.

Other than the fact that Syracuse DC makes 2x what the JMU head coach makes, I am sure it's a great job. Fran probably makes 6x what Chesney does. I would take the $ and roll the dice. Both Fran and EROB can make more than Chesney does as a position coach in the SEC.

The money is the money, no ignoring that. Syracuse is the better job in such a fickle profession. You take the $ and if it doesn't work out you have more $ in your pocket when you take the next job.

If Chesney was sitting at Holy Cross and had the BC/ JMU HC jobs on the table, everybody knows what job he is taking. It's not even close. You take the 3 mil or so over the 550K and if it doesn't work you move on to the next job

Money always wins.

That's why Hafley's reasoning for leaving doesn't really raise any red flags to me. There are definitely going to be people that don't want to deal with the new college football landscape as a head coach. But there are always going to be people who will take that job for $15M-$20M of guaranteed money.

Chesney is who they want. Q is can they get him.

It’s very tough to do this to JMU but he has a buyout so it depends on that number.

My bc source was very quiet when I asked about Bob.
Almost everything being said about Hafley's departure would apply to Chesney if he bolts now. If he's the stand-up guy many believe him to be, there's no way he considers it for long.

Never been a football coach but I would imagine most of the guys that get into coaching love the game and all the strategy involved. I bet a lot of them love developing young players into polished men. There are great challenges and rewards and if you have success, you can make a lot of money too.

I doubt any coach gets into it because they ove recruiting. When I hear college coaches talk, it always sounds like it is a necessary evil they do so they can do the other parts of the coach they love.

Over the last couple of decades, it seems the demands on coaches time for recruiting have dramatically increased.

Even before the portal opened, demands on coaches time for recruiting have been growing steadily. More camps. More specialty camps. Early and late recruiting periods. More visits allowed.

It was bad before and then the portal happened and coaches have to recruit all year now. End of the season, end of the semesters, the demands on their time just continue to grow. And they are being asked to help raise funds for HS recruiting NIL and player retentiion NIL now, and make tough choices about where to spend money and what players are most important to retain.

It is a far different job now than almost all of these guys signed up for and it is no surprise we are seeing a lot of turnover and early retirement.

I think we will see the average age for college HCs drop in coming years. The strain and constant work is too much for most older guys to handle. For a lot of these guys, if they are good enough to coach in NFL, they will.

Especially if they have already spent time in the NFL, like Hafley, and know the different life style coaching there brings.

Hafley is only 44. But he knows there is a better option and for him anyway, you can see why he did what he did.

Who wants to be stuck in a job at a school with no fanbase where it is impossible to get good talent and win consistently? Why work your butt off all year long when you can’t win and it is inevitable you will be fired for losing too many games?

The way to go is to hire an ambitious hard working young HC and have them hire a similar coaching staff.

I don’t think BC can find a good young coach who will take the job. I think they will end up having to hire an older guy content to make $2.5 or $3 million a year and try and occasionally get to a 6-6 season.

Last edited:
And sombreros!
IMG_3063.png

Money always wins.

That's why Hafley's reasoning for leaving doesn't really raise any red flags to me. There are definitely going to be people that don't want to deal with the new college football landscape as a head coach. But there are always going to be people who will take that job for $15M-$20M of guaranteed money.
I mean I read where Miami was paying Fangio 4.5 mil/ year as a DC. Not bad

Guessing Hafley probably making 2.5 to be the DC at GB

Even before the portal opened, demands on coaches time for recruiting have been growing steadily. More camps. More doe I’ll.wd vamps. Early and late recruiting periods. More visits allowed.

Oh, definitely. It’s the More doe I’ll.wd vamps. that’ll get you every time.

Almost everything being said about Hafley's departure would apply to Chesney if he bolts now. If he's the stand-up guy many believe him to be, there's no way he considers it for long.
If he were to leave without coaching at JMU for even 1 season, his reputation would be that of a guy willing to jump immediately whenever something catches his eye. Most ADs do not want to mess with that.

I saw a headline in The Athletic (might have been posted here) saying is Jeff Hafley leaving an inflection point for college football?

Hilarious. Maybe a Nick Saban retirement because he didn't want to deal with it. But Jeff Hafley leaving BC for GB DC? Come on.

I mean I read where Miami was paying Fangio 4.5 mil/ year as a DC. Not bad

Guessing Hafley probably making 2.5 to be the DC at GB
Hafley is taking a bigger paycut than Chesney is making at JMU, currently.

Not that one has to do with the other.

Just shows how bad Hafley wanted out of BC.

He was done for anyways and was proactive and found a gig with way less BS and some could argue greater potential long term

Hafley won.

BC is cooked.

They just won a ton of games and right now its a Cincinatti type job but that all ends when they drop to 6 wins in a trash conference.

Good FCS always slays crap FBS Colorado opens with NDSU this year you don't think I'm gonna put a couple hundred on the Bizon ML?

Chesney was very smart to correctly not risk a down year at HC and jump while he could. He can probably cruise control to a bunch of wins too. All that doesn't make JMU some powerhouse they play total nobodies.

Sorry you don't like the Boston area. Its pretty much Syracuse but just a few more rich people and bigger. Slightly easier state for taxes and all that than NYS.
Sorry you feel the way you do re this post and the following. Boston is a nice city to visit imo, just a personal lifestyle preference. It’s not very similar to Syracuse, but both upstate NY and New England have some beautiful scenery no denying that

I saw a headline in The Athletic (might have been posted here) saying is Jeff Hafley leaving an inflection point for college football?

Hilarious. Maybe a Nick Saban retirement because he didn't want to deal with it. But Jeff Hafley leaving BC for GB DC? Come on.
How out of touch are the admis/ BOT at BC and the people at the "Athletic"? Hafley left because of how he was treated there.

If he were to leave without coaching at JMU for even 1 season, his reputation would be that of a guy willing to jump immediately whenever something catches his eye. Most ADs do not want to mess with that.
The guy left Temple and went to Miami and it never hurt him.

Other than the fact that Syracuse DC makes 2x what the JMU head coach makes, I am sure it's a great job. Fran probably makes 6x what Chesney does. I would take the $ and roll the dice. Both Fran and EROB can make more than Chesney does as a position coach in the SEC.

The money is the money, no ignoring that. Syracuse is the better job in such a fickle profession. You take the $ and if it doesn't work out you have more $ in your pocket when you take the next job.

If Chesney was sitting at Holy Cross and had the BC/ JMU HC jobs on the table, everybody knows what job he is taking. It's not even close. You take the 3 mil or so over the 550K and if it doesn't work you move on to the next job
True.

Dino Babers did very well - he is set for life and perhaps the lives of his kids.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom