Halfcourt offense non existent | Syracusefan.com

Halfcourt offense non existent

OrangeFoo

All American
We are not going to be able to beat many grind it out teams. Southerland again is a no show and as usual we apparently have no plan B when teams solve the zone. I am seeing the same team as last 5 years or so. Sigh.

Agreed... our half court offense is not good. Poor shot selection and to much one on one. We take way to many jump shots early in the shot clock when we can always get those shots.

We just did, didn't we? And we did on Wednesday too.

They are unranked. We are #5 in the nation. I think the point is we aren't looking good against unranked teams who we should have no trouble with when you're top 5.

We are not going to be able to beat many grind it out teams. Southerland again is a no show and as usual we apparently have no plan B when teams solve the zone. I am seeing the same team as last 5 years or so. Sigh.
We're actually going to be able to beat MOST grind it out teams...but as Syracuse fans, we are going to hate watching the "hold it 30 seconds and shoot" approach that those teams will play.

We just did, didn't we? And we did on Wednesday too.

VT and Stanford aren't great teams. C'mon you're better than that.

Fortunatly the Big East kind of sucks this year so maybe no one will notice :)

Get ready for Iona vs Alabama for the national championship!

They are unranked. We are #5 in the nation. I think the point is we aren't looking good against unranked teams who we should have no trouble with when you're top 5.
Yeah, like rankings really mean something in November.

That was a good Stanford team made up of highly intelligent kids that are growing every day under Dawkins. I can see them finishing in the top 1/3 of the Pac 12 (mainly because the Pac 12 sucks).

yeah because no teams are ever unranked in november and end up good. that was the best team we have played so far by a landslide, and they had the refs on their on side.

yeah because no teams are ever unranked in november and end up good. that was the best team we have played so far by a landslide, and they had the refs on their on side.

I will agree with that if we LOOKED GOOD and played HIGHLY COMPETETIVE game on both sides and won. I would say wow Standford is going to be highly ranked by March.

Point of the thread is our halfcourt offense sucks really bad. How can you debate that after watching the game? A top 5 team can't have an offense this bad. I've watched other highly ranked teams and they are light years ahead in halfcourt.

I'm not trying to pick fights, we're all fans of the same team. I want Syracuse to be better. However, this is a fair criticism of the coaching staff. This has been an ongoing problem for us second year in a row now.

Good win 'Cuse! Hope we improve :)

I like that we picked up the defensive pressure the last 4 minutes and made a few good offensive plays off to's win a game it looked like we were about to lose. But I agree that our half court offense is bad. When SU can't get into transition we just stagnate in a half court set. Bad shot selection, bad passes, tough to watch. If we played a really good team like a KU or Duke they would take advantage of all those mistakes and pull away from us. Stamford couldn't capitalize on enough of our mistakes to pull away. I wish JB would go to the press earlier or uptempo the game with more trapping to create transition. We also need Scoop to play way better than he is.

I'd prefer to see us pound the ball inside early on. That would loosen up the perimeter for drive and dish plays.

They actually did pull away...then JB threw the press on them.

boeheim is as stubborn to the zone as marrone is to the run
Difference is, JB is like 550 games over .500. nd DM is 1 game under .500.

Yeah, like rankings really mean something in November.

That was a good Stanford team made up of highly intelligent kids that are growing every day under Dawkins. I can see them finishing in the top 1/3 of the Pac 12 (mainly because the Pac 12 sucks).

We could have lost that game when Gage took over. It was a classic case that we have seen in the past. I thought Dawkins did a very good job, but one thing I think hurt him was the lack of timeouts down the stretch. Thought he burnt too many early. Our guys never panicked when Stanford took a big lead and pulled out the win.

Somehow Boeheim has three talented bigs for the first time in decades, yet we clearly don't want to feed the post. I think Fab got five touches.

Seems to me that improving this could go a long way in curing our half-court troubles.

I like that we picked up the defensive pressure the last 4 minutes .

Why not the first 36? JB wants his zone to get credit for winning the game so bad, that he waits till the last possible second to try something different.

Our half court offense is going to be stagnant until Melo develops as an offensive threat. That will open up the court for out shooters and slashers. The reason the '09 team was so tough is that you had to pick your poison. Onuaku got doubled which left Rick or a shooter open.

This team will go as far as our bigs will take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom