Hardaway: "If the zone was unbeatable they'd be 39-0" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hardaway: "If the zone was unbeatable they'd be 39-0"

The zone isn't unbeatable??

CAPTAINOBVIOUS.png

If Michigan was unbeatable they wouldn't be 30-7

So putting a beatdown on VCU wasn't that impressive?

Lol, this thread is hilarious. What's Hardaway gonna say, we have no chance to win, their zone is untouchable?

Well, if he wants to be perfectly truthful about the matter... then, yeah! Hell Yeah!

The more Anfernee & Co are talking about the zone, the more they are THINKING About the zone. Completely zen with this, encourage it even.

I love it!! Keep underestimating the zone. You will pay Timmy JR.

Not really. The zone hasn't lost us any games, our lack of shooting from the floor and/or the free throw line has.

Temple = Missed free throws
Nova = Missed free throws
Pitt = poor shooting
UConn = poor shooting
Gtown = poor shooting
Marquette = refs
Lville = poor shooting
Gtown = poor shooting
Lville = no legs in the 2nd half

Now obviously those poor shooting games can be attributed to the defenses we played against but Michigan doesn't play defense like any of those teams.

Round 1 of Hardaway Jr vs the zone = 3-12 (1-8) shooting

I would add that in our 9 losses, our opponents are shooting 41% against the zone. And I think our zone has gotten better as the season has progressed.

A zone is just a division of labor. It's who is playing it and how they play it that counts. If we don't play agreesively and smart, being in a zone won't help us.

The Syracuse zone is almost like a man to man where the players don't have to chase one player all over the place.

We extend it out to limit the deep shots, & force them to attempt passes over or under the defense into the deep blocks on the baseline, which can be stolen often, or if not, we have quick athletic front line guys who will set up a wall around the unfortunate soul who actually catches the ball there.

Then they usually have to seek an outlet which provides another opportunity for our guards to get into the passing lane & make a steal.

These dunderheads on the other teams don't realize it's more than just the system & adjustable schemes that stop them, it is also the players who are recruited for the system.

Boeheim sets up the entire trap from recruiting to the game's end, & our opponents can talk about the "zone" defense all they want, it won't change how difficult it will be for them if our players work it properly.

The Zone let us down in the UConn game.

UConn was creating easy uncontested looks at 3s the entire second half... Many people after that game said it was simply a matter of UConn hitting their 3's and Syracuse missing them... but really it was much more than that - it was about UConn consistently creating clean looks and forcing us to take contested shots.

But at the end of the day we are playing great now, and well .

storz had lightning quick guards who could get in the lane and disrupt the zone. Also the Calhoun factor. No other coach's teams have consistently shredded the zone like storz has. He passed down all that knowledge to Ollie.

Anfernee?

Yes poking fun ... reference to Anfernee Hardaway ... former Memphis St. star and was selected right after Webber in the NBA draft was then dealt to Orlando in the Webber deal.

storz had lightning quick guards who could get in the lane and disrupt the zone. Also the Calhoun factor. No other coach's teams have consistently shredded the zone like storz has. He passed down all that knowledge to Ollie.
I think we've beaten them 6 of 7 going into this year. Pitt's been more successful against it lately.

Yes poking fun ... reference to Anfernee Hardaway ... former Memphis St. star and was selected right after Webber in the NBA draft was then dealt to Orlando in the Webber deal.
Obviously as an Arizonan I'm quite familiar with Penny. Just didn't get the reference. You know it's Tim hardaways son? Unrelated

Obviously as an Arizonan I'm quite familiar with Penny. Just didn't get the reference. You know it's Tim hardaways son? Unrelated

Yes i do know ... just explaining who Anfernee was ... wasn't my joke to begin with. the only association is the last name that is it.

I don't think opposing players or fans understand just how much length your team has in its zone. To be honest with you, I didn't even realize until I saw it in person at the BET when I had seats behind the hoop. It is really impressive how much length is in that zone. You also see an opening and think you have a dunk and you have a couple of long armed freak athletes closing in to cram it down your throat or make you earn it at the line. It is also not something you can prepare for because teams don't have the same length as Syracuse does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom