has anyone done less with more than roy williams? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

has anyone done less with more than roy williams?

Its tough to have vertigo and at same time not be able to carry k's jock. But seriously as anyone whos had vertigo knows, its debilitating...and im sure the ncaa thing beyond sucks too
Vertigo is most definitely no fun. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

that dude just finds ways to lose. UNC should be running away with it this year talent-wise. dude is questionable at the least.

He has 2 rings and a boatload of Final Fours. Takes a lot to win.

"has anyone done less with more?"

Guy Lewis at Houston: Olajuwon, Drexler, Michael Young, et al. Two hall of famers, 5 first round draft choices, no championships.

That's funny I was just thinking Guy Lewis. Living in Seattle I would also say Lorenzo Romar. He had a team with Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy and a bunch of really good college players that couldn't make it out of the sweet 16. He has had other teams that could be really good. I've watched them play before and wondered if they even scout opponents.

Duke has more Mcdonalds all americans than UNC does.

I'd take the Dukes guards/forwards over UNC's.

UNC just has an abundance of good bigs.

Rick Barnes had D.J Augustin and Kevin Durant and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA T.

Jim Boeheim had Carmelo Anthony and Hakim Warrick and won a NC.

We haven't gotten the top 10 level recruits. Melo has been our highest guy and guess what when JB had that guy he won it all.

Donte Green I believe was our next highest rated kid. He should have stayed but didn't want to stay which was his right.

Jonny Flynn, Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters were top 20 guys.

I wish JB would go hard after top 10 players but he doesn't and his system works.

Last edited:
Rick Barnes at Texas takes the cake, in that regard.

THIS.

Rick Barnes did not reach the Sweet Sixteen with Kevin Durant.

But not "just" Kevin Durant.

That team also had DJ Augistin, and Damion James. And Dexter Pittman.
FOUR guys who played in the NBA, including an all-timer.
Durant and 3 other guys who all shot 40% or better from 3.

"has anyone done less with more?"

Guy Lewis at Houston: Olajuwon, Drexler, Michael Young, et al. Two hall of famers, 5 first round draft choices, no championships.
His teams reached the Final 4 five times in all (he got there twice with Elvin Hayes). Not too shabby a career, IMO. The difference between winning a title and coming close to winning one can be very small, as SU fans can attest.

Rick Barnes had D.J Augustin and Kevin Durant and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA T.

Jim Boeheim had Carmelo Anthony and Hakim Warrick and won a NC.

We haven't gotten the top 10 level recruits. Melo has been our highest guy and guess what when JB had that guy he won it all.

Donte Green I believe was our next highest rated kid. He should have stayed but didn't want to stay which was his right.

Jonny Flynn, Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters were top 20 guys.

I wish JB would go hard after top 10 players but he doesn't and his system works.

I think JB goes after these guys, at least initially, until he realizes that he just has no chance in hell in getting them. Top 10 guys are one & done's and the UK's KU's Duke's, UNC's of the world overwhelmingly get them. Carmelo was clearly an aberration for him and his system program. When we landed Carmelo, the one & done trend wasn't close to where it's today. Unless we could ever land a once in a lifetime type player like Carmelo again, who takes us to the promise land, I'll take JB's typical system guys every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

that dude just finds ways to lose. UNC should be running away with it this year talent-wise. dude is questionable at the least.

Some might argue that Syracuse - from about 1985 until 1995 - vastly underperformed based on overall roster talent.

Some, not all... But definitely some.

Honestly I think Roy's mentor Dean Smith is the all-time master of doing less with more. Only 2 championships with team after team of NBA players, including many all stars and a few all time greats. Look at his record in the National Semis. He had a ton of Final 4s (11 or 12?) but usually lost in the semis when he made it that far. And this was in an era when you could really stockpile talent by keeping your best players.

orangecuse said:
I think JB goes after these guys, at least initially, until he realizes that he just has no chance in hell in getting them. Top 10 guys are one & done's and the UK's KU's Duke's, UNC's of the world overwhelmingly get them. Carmelo was clearly an aberration for him and his system program. When we landed Carmelo, the one & done trend wasn't close to where it's today. Unless we could ever land a once in a lifetime type player like Carmelo again, who takes us to the promise land, I'll take JB's typical system guys every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

And actually when we went after Melo he was rated around 40th. He blew up after that. I don't think he was considered a possible one and done when he verbaled.

Honestly I think Roy's mentor Dean Smith is the all-time master of doing less with more. Only 2 championships with team after team of NBA players, including many all stars and a few all time greats. Look at his record in the National Semis. He had a ton of Final 4s (11 or 12?) but usually lost in the semis when he made it that far. And this was in an era when you could really stockpile talent by keeping your best players.
Dean's NC title wins were unbelievable endings as well.

The Georgetown kid threw it to Worthy in one of biggest bone head plays and Chris Webber no TOs left game against Michigan.

Dean was an alltimer though.

8 final fours, 2 national championships. I don't know, could be worse. Say 1 national championship and 4 final four appearances, probably not as much talent overall but plenty of less with more years for sure. FWIW. but, but, but.

UNC was garbage between Dean Smith and Roy. He's a hall of famer, very very good basketball coach. He's had some bad seasons, but he's been pretty damn good.

He got outcoached by Coach K ? who hasn't?

agreed. K and Pitino are the best out there. Izzo right after that, with Self probably in there too. Roy and JB a step below. Calipari is a master salesman and floats around from great to meh.

Does anyone think Cal is creeping up on this list?

Yes, he makes runs in the tourney, but he's also had the most dominant recruiting run in a long, long time.

Roy is the biggest roll the ball out there coach IMO. He does a good job typically recruiting to his system which is up-tempo and wear teams down. However he isn't a good Xs and Os coach IMO.

He is a HOFer because of his resume but I wouldn't him want coaching my team unless he had a speedy PG and the personal for his system.

What JB has shown this year is people really underrated his Xs and Os. The difference from MH to JB is HOF level. MH can still be a good D1 HC but JB showed his HO status.

He has drawn up plays, made adjustments and fit his personnel as good as he could.

If you gave K UNC roster and Roy Duke roster last night that game is a blow by UNC.

I give even Calipari credit in 2014 and this year he had young teams that have gotten better as the season has progressed. He is blessed with elite talent but they are getting better. Paige has gotten worse.

Of K, Izzo, Pitino, JB, Self, Calipari, Bo Ryan, Huggins, Roy Williams who are the HOF level coaches right now I would put Roy last at actual in-game coaching IMO.

HOFers in the future IMO would be Bennett-UVA, Smart-Texas, Wright-Nova, Miller-Zona, Ollie-UConn.

Of K, Izzo, Pitino, JB, Self, Calipari, Bo Ryan, Huggins, Roy Williams who are the HOF level coaches right now I would put Roy last at actual in-game coaching IMO.

HOFers in the future IMO would be Bennett-UVA, Smart-Texas, Wright-Nova, Miller-Zona, Ollie-UConn.

A coach who never, ever gets brought up is Lon Kruger. Oklahoma could certainly win it all this year, and it would an opportunity to him to finally enter the mainstream discussion. He's approaching 600 wins, has a Final Four, and has taken five different teams to the tournament.

A coach who never, ever gets brought up is Lon Kruger. Oklahoma could certainly win it all this year, and it would an opportunity to him to finally enter the mainstream discussion. He's approaching 600 wins, has a Final Four, and has taken five different teams to the tournament.
He took the NBA money after Izzo turned down the Hawks job. If Kruger never left the college game for the NBA money he would be right there as a college HOF coach. Your right he could still get there.

I think Lon is quite underrated also. He's coached at some schools where it wasn't exactly easy to win in basketball. Kansas State, Florida (when Florida was even more of a football only school)

I think everyone was in awe that he didn't call a TO on the last possession. 20 seconds and 3 TO's left, why wouldn't you draw up a play? And they choked and didn't get have a decent opportunity to get off a decent shot, poor decision.

I actually laugh because he never ever uses his TO's. It's like he can't wait for the game to be over with. Maybe he gets nervous during games and has to take a poop.

Its tough to have vertigo and at same time not be able to carry k's jock. But seriously as anyone whos had vertigo knows, its debilitating...and im sure the ncaa thing beyond sucks too
I don't have sympathy for him re the latter. The charges are systemic academic fraud and he's been the coach for a decade now. He owns the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom