Haters gonna hate | Syracusefan.com

Haters gonna hate

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Joe Lunardi Senior Writer, ESPN.com
lunardi_joe_m.jpg

Quick thoughts on my misses: Vandy (defensible pick), Syracuse (borderline at best) and Tulsa (indefensible by every conceivable standard).

It was a toss up. He wanted to be the guy who shut Cuse down...he got burnt. Now he is sour. He makes his money for two months predicting this. To have 3 wrongs is pretty bad...ESPN won't be happy with that.

It was a toss up. He wanted to be the guy who shut Cuse down...he got burnt. Now he is sour. He makes his money for two months predicting this. To have 3 wrongs is pretty bad...ESPN won't be happy with that.

ESPN doesn't pay Lunardi to be right. They pay him to create buzz and traffic on the ESPN site and on message boards like this one. My guess is that they are very happy with him.

The worst thing Lunardi did this year and why he deserves a fail (and ESPN needs to look at other options) was this.

Afer the San Diego St game last night, he admitted that he hadn't really looked at them as an at-large candidate and was as not fully sure where they fit in. How could you not be prepared to analyze a potential bubble buster? You only had a week to plan for it.

Getting teams wrong, the questionable large moves up and down, those were a problem. But not being prepared for SD St as an at large? That is indefensible.

This was a tough bracket -- I am sure many who are pretty good at it got 3 wrong this year.

lunardi_joe_m.jpg

Quick thoughts on my misses: Vandy (defensible pick), Syracuse (borderline at best) and Tulsa (indefensible by every conceivable standard).
Another awful job by an incompetent buffoon.

I give him credit for his consistent crappiness.

He needs to let go of his bias for mid major schools. As a first step, it would be a good idea for him to quit his job at St Joseph's to help him escape his spot in the basement of bracketology...

Amazing how with 1 good idea (bracketology) this guy will make a nice living the rest of his working life.

Lunardi doesn't really care about being right, he only cares about being relevant.

Lunardi has tons of followers basically because of envy. He's a super nerd with zero athletic experience who dumb lucked himself into a pretty good gig.

There's millions of basketball fans that look at him and say to themselves "I can do that."

The truth is they're right. Predicting the NCAA tourney field is not difficult at all. As someone that deals in mathematics, statistics and predictive analytics, I can say that with confidence.

ESPN doesn't pay Lunardi to be right. They pay him to create buzz and traffic on the ESPN site and on message boards like this one. My guess is that they are very happy with him.
But you gotta get them right...anybody can pick controversial picks to create buzz...jay bilas could be controversial and it will create buzz. to not be correct for 3 of 68 eventually makes him irrelevant. That is a lot wrong.

But you gotta get them right...anybody can pick controversial picks to create buzz...jay bilas could be controversial and it will create buzz. to not be correct for 3 of 68 eventually makes him irrelevant. That is a lot wrong.

Disagree. It's almost better that he has a few wrong. ESPN is looking for controversy. They want to play up the spurned programs. This a game about ratings, you know, just like the presidential primaries.

It isn't really 68 teams. In reality bracketologists are trying to figure out the last 4 teams in and last 4 teams out. The other 64 teams are either auto bids or simple to pick. So in reality he got 1 of the final 4 teams in, which is 25%.

Disagree. It's almost better that he has a few wrong. ESPN is looking for controversy. They want to play up the spurned programs. This a game about ratings, you know, just like the presidential primaries.
That is cool. I just think ESPN wants to be right. They want to be the source ppl go to first. That is why they grab Adam schefter for football among others. They outbid for the best talent. Obviously they want clicks but if he is wrong and becomes irrelevant and ppl go to CBS and others ESPN eventually loses.

How about a middle ground...part ratings, part correctness. Of course, maybe a bigger part is connections. "It's not what you know, but who you know".

And if he was one of the first people to market it(I dont follow enough to know). It wouldnt shock me if certain people on here could do it in the same league, or even better. If it were my "job", it wouldn't shock me if I could as well.

lunardi_joe_m.jpg

The committee guy they interviewed made it sound like we were a lock to get in compared to the other bubblers.

The worst thing Lunardi did this year and why he deserves a fail (and ESPN needs to look at other options) was this.

Afer the San Diego St game last night, he admitted that he hadn't really looked at them as an at-large candidate and was as not fully sure where they fit in. How could you not be prepared to analyze a potential bubble buster? You only had a week to plan for it.

Getting teams wrong, the questionable large moves up and down, those were a problem. But not being prepared for SD St as an at large? That is indefensible.

This was a tough bracket -- I am sure many who are pretty good at it got 3 wrong this year.
In addition, as he is saying that he doesn't know about SDSU, he is updating his bracket to put them as last team in.

Facebook and Shamwow dudes say hello

That reminds me of a valedictorian friend of mine whose reaction to the movie, The Social Network, was one of sadness for not having thought of the idea himself. When I was a kid, I remember my very practical father telling me about somebody being rich for inventing those cereal box toy octopi that you throw against the wall and watch them climb down. As long as you're not on psychedelics, it might be fun to have one with Lunardi or Gottleib's face on it. :)

That reminds me of a valedictorian friend of mine whose reaction to the movie, The Social Network, was one of sadness for not having thought of the idea himself. When I was a kid, I remember my very practical father telling me about somebody being rich for inventing those cereal box toy octopi that you throw against the wall and watch them climb down. As long as you're not on psychedelics, it might be fun to have one with Lunardi or Gottleib's face on it. :)

those would be wacky wall walkers. and they were sweet. that dude deserves the billions he made.

"Syracusefan.com teaches Lunardi how the NCAA evaluates teams". Seriously, he has nothing on this place(at least this season), and isn't even as entertaining or outrageous as some of the characters on here. This guy is no messiah.

However, when he isnt accurate he can still have people talking about him, which keeps him relevant. He wins either way.