Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games.

the dome is good for the wagners of the world- everyone else is fair game for nj-
the dome will never host a premier game again- soon the biggest hoops games will move to nyc also-

its almost like the university likes to kick the locals who have stood behind the program for being loyal-
there is a reason uconn and rutgers didnt do this type of contract-it sucks

the dome is good for the wagners of the world- everyone else is fair game for nj-
the dome will never host a premier game again- soon the biggest hoops games will move to nyc also-

its almost like the university likes to kick the locals who have stood behind the program for being loyal-

drama_queen-360x347.jpg

Dumb. They will schedule neutral games there, but not conference games.

So 2 fans didn't get to see the USC game, boo hoo. More support, less of these games are moved. The $ for the game helped keep the AD afloat.

No, the reason is, no one wants them to play in these games. They are little regional schools with no national following or gravitas.

You honestly are asking me if I realize we owe Notre Dame two road games? Why do you think I hate the fact that of all the 15 ACC teams Notre Dame will be playing Syracuse is taking it worse than anybody and that is because of Dr. Gross agreeing to this series and then when Notre Dame announced they were joining the ACC didn't immediately cancel it. Why do you think I mentioned Notre Dame could toss Syracuse I bone and say well that 2016 game we will do a solid like we are Boston College and will count it as a ND home game. BC-ND were schedule to play 2015-2016 and 2018-2019. Now the 2016, 2018, 2019 games might be moved, but ND did BC a solid and said we are making that 2015 ND home game a game in Boston at Fenway Park where we will be the home team, but you will be at home and it will be a solid game where i am sure some BC fans will get in. Syracuse is going to be playing 2 games at Metlife 2014 and 2016 which are called @ Syracuse where Notre Dame will have double the fans and it will be an embarrassment, but let's defend this because we should be lucky that Notre Dame will even appear on the same field as us. We should sell next year's Maryand game to FedEx Field we could use the money, or sell next year's Florida State game to Jacksonville. If you act small time then you are small time.

And at this moment in time, you have no idea if ND will do us a "solid" by foregoing the 2nd owed South Bend game in the third three cycle of this set-up. We just don't know yet, do we? So can you please wait until the 2019,20, and 21 ND/ACC schedule is out before having this over the top rant?

Cheers,
Neil

And at this moment in time, you have no idea if ND will do us a "solid" by foregoing the 2nd owed South Bend game in the third three cycle of this set-up. We just don't know yet, do we? So can you please wait until the 2019,20, and 21 ND/ACC schedule is out before having this over the top rant?

Cheers,
Neil
So your answer to me is just wait until you get screwed to complain about getting screwed? I am fair and call it the way I see it I wouldn't go over the top unless I logically feel it is truth. This Notre Dame series was the worst thing Dr. Gross agreed in the last 4 years, and everyone disagrees with me which is fine then I feel nobody should complain about fan support. I don't live in CNY nor have been their for any reason, but to go to SU, but the fans on here want to bitch about the Dome being empty and why the football program doesn't get support I hate these complainers. I have season tickets and give them to a friend's family who lives in Baldwinsville so I can support the program, but this crap from Gross makes me want to stop caring.

this is a example of the university selling its soul for a few sheckles -and no one has any real idea what we make-its all guess work

these games offer no recruiting advantage for su-none

its a way for notre lame to flex its muscles over us-

i wonder if ill get banned for this like my legit post about not showing up for 40% of our games after the fl st loss- that post did nothing wrong- no language issues or anything- you just get tossed because your remarks dont fit with the mods-they cant even be bothered to tell you why-

Last edited:
this is a example of the university selling its soul for a few sheckles -and no one has any real idea what we make-its all guess work

these games offer no recruiting advantage for su-none

its a way for notre lame to flex its muscles over us-
Shekels we DID NOT have when the deal was signed. You want to talk about getting out of the deal? Fine - not sure how that would work, but fine. But I don't think it makes sense to disparage the original deal. TGD was trying to keep the program afloat in a sinking conference.

Again I would give Dr. Gross an A or A- overall for his performance as SU AD. I don't think he has done a poor job at all, but this deal is terrible and the second ND agreed to 5 game ACC series he should have cancelled it if he didn't sell these ND games to Metlife. If we never played Notre Dame again in college football I would be okay with that. I don't expect them to play us home/home or any of the top dogs like Ohio State/Michigan etc. If Notre Dame is going to be playing @Duke, @Wake Forest then @ Syracuse isn't that much to ask for. Duke and Wake Forest aren't going to move their games to Charlotte.

So your answer to me is just wait until you get screwed to complain about getting screwed? I am fair and call it the way I see it I wouldn't go over the top unless I logically feel it is truth. This Notre Dame series was the worst thing Dr. Gross agreed in the last 4 years, and everyone disagrees with me which is fine then I feel nobody should complain about fan support. I don't live in CNY nor have been their for any reason, but to go to SU, but the fans on here want to bitch about the Dome being empty and why the football program doesn't get support I hate these complainers. I have season tickets and give them to a friend's family who lives in Baldwinsville so I can support the program, but this crap from Gross makes me want to stop caring.

Yes, that is my reply to you. You started from the premise we were screwed with the MetLife games BEFORE we even got into the ACC and everything goes from there. So with every new bit of information you only see the information in a way that reinforces this initial stance. Did it occur to you that maybe both SU and the ACC wanted those two games at MetLife to be part of its ABC/ESPN TV package as part of SU wanting to brand itself and the ACC conference wanting to brand itself in NYC?

ND and BC are already the two favorite college football teams in Boston, by far. And the ACC isn't in a battle with the BiG for Boston. Whether you agree with TGD's thinking or not, he signed these deals initially to get SU football into NYC and one of the reasons why the ACC wanted us was for that market.

If one of these two games were on NBC, do you truly think that they would market either SU or the ACC to NYC the way ABC/ESPN will?

Again, all I'm asking is take a deep breath and think.

Cheers,
Neil

its not our duty to make nyc a acc town- its the whole leagues-
dont see fl st or anyone else giving games away for the sake of the acc-

i would be far less pissed if they were at least played in new york state

Yes, that is my reply to you. You started from the premise we were screwed with the MetLife games BEFORE we even got into the ACC and everything goes from there. So with every new bit of information you only see the information in a way that reinforces this initial stance. Did it occur to you that maybe both SU and the ACC wanted those two games at MetLife to be part of its ABC/ESPN TV package as part of SU wanting to brand itself and the ACC conference wanting to brand itself in NYC?

ND and BC are already the two favorite college football teams in Boston, by far. And the ACC isn't in a battle with the BiG for Boston. Whether you agree with TGD's thinking or not, he signed these deals initially to get SU football into NYC and one of the reasons why the ACC wanted us was for that market.

If one of these two games were on NBC, do you truly think that they would market either SU or the ACC to NYC the way ABC/ESPN will?

Again, all I'm asking is take a deep breath and think.

Cheers,
Neil
I don't believe I have said such a thing. If we weren't in the ACC and were stuck in the Big East I wouldn't rip Dr. Gross for agreeing to this series if it helped pay the bills. My original point was this "Great job agreeing to Metlife games with Notre Dame Dr. Gross you sold out your home fans. I hope the money is worth it. My god this crap ticks me off. Notre Dame will play BC in Fenway as a ND home game, but won't count ONE of the TWO Syracuse games as home games for ND so the Orange can host ND ONCE before 2020 way to go Dr. Gross." I knew from the beginning we agreed to these games before the ACC move in 2011 I have been talking this point for a while. My problem was that Gross didn't fight to have contract changed once ND agreed to the 5 ACC games, if I was confusing about that I apologize, but Gross shouldn't have let ND/Metlife or whomever dictate where SU home games are once they agreed to play 5 ACC games.

Shekels we DID NOT have when the deal was signed. You want to talk about getting out of the deal? Fine - not sure how that would work, but fine. But I don't think it makes sense to disparage the original deal. TGD was trying to keep the program afloat in a sinking conference.

Again, I'm not even sure we have to get out of the MetLife deal. Has any games been signed for or even rumored about for 2018 and beyond? The only whisper of a rumor I remember seeing was that Michigan's Hoke thought he might like to play us, but with playing Rutgers every other year now, I doubt that is a priority for the Wolverines now.

If anything, the BiG's battle with the ACC for NYC bragging rights might kill the deal via a boycott from any future BiG team playing us there.

Cheers,
Neil

its a sign on the door that reads-

we will play anyone as long as its not in syracuse

Have critical reading and thinking skills just suddenly vanished? No one said it was "our duty" to make NYC an ACC town. But obviously TGD wants us to be a major player in NYC for both basketball and football. And that was part of the attraction of us to both the ACC and the BiG.

There was a point in time when this board was considered the smart one. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

A couple of thoughts about NYC and making SU attractive to the ACC. The ACC wanted SU in the early 2000s before the whole NY's College Team. We are attractive because of basketball with a respectable football name. GA Tech, FSU, Miami and BC were schools who wanted us (partially to help keep the Triangle schools from making it all about basketball). Swofford was aware that football was driving the TV bus and he didn't want the big football programs jumping elsewhere. Nothing DG has done suddenly made SU more attractive to the ACC (other than maybe returning their phone calls unlike Jake and Buzz)

I would go as far to say that if Jake/Buzz were willing to flip after the initial vote, that SU would have been added before BC a decade ago.

As far as these games, Alsacs makes a very valid point about SU giving up two HOME games to MetLife. There is little doubt that ND would have been open to making one of the MetLife games a home game for them as they will dominate the crowd anyway. SU obviously needs the extra $ from these games, but I think that the new tv deal should give DG and the AD a bit more flexibility to get a marquee game to the Dome.

There is one thing you are missing when you say ND wiped these other games against BC and Pitt away. These games between syracuse and ND were scheduled by a third party venue, not their home facilities. It would be a lot easier to erase a scheduled series at the dome or at notre dame. Its another thing to somehow scrap a contract with a third party venue (metlife).

Have critical reading and thinking skills just suddenly vanished? No one said it was "our duty" to make NYC an ACC town. But obviously TGD wants us to be a major player in NYC for both basketball and football. And that was part of the attraction of us to both the ACC and the BiG.

There was a point in time when this board was considered the smart one. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
See I find that directed me. I am no a bomb thrower I call it the way I see it and act objectively. Just because I have a point that isn't popular if its legitimate then it can be debated. I don't care if everyone agrees with me I am making a point that can be debated. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.

There is one thing you are missing when you say ND wiped these other games against BC and Pitt away. These games between syracuse and ND were scheduled by a third party venue, not their home facilities. It would be a lot easier to erase a scheduled series at the dome or at notre dame. Its another thing to somehow scrap a contract with a third party venue (metlife).
I highly doubt their is a liquidated damages provision in the contract for Metlife. As Metlife would not likely suffer any damage from no SU-ND games. The most logical reason for Dr. Gross agreeing to leave the games at Metlife he was he didn't want to tick off the Metlife people and any future business they might do. Well I would tell Dr. Gross that Metlife isn't more important than his local fanbase. Metlife would always agree to host a future game with Syracuse involved if they could make any money, and if they were pissed off and said no then he could play at Yankees Stadium if he needed a NYC game.

IMO, Gross didn't fight for the CNY people to get the ND game he just left at Metlife. Atleast he didn't move the game to Metlife from the Dome like he did the USC game.

Then you're being absolutely ridiculous.

I know it's fun to poke at Giants and Jets fan because they play in Joisey and all, but MetLife Stadium is 8.7 miles from Times Square. You know what's just as far away? Yankee Stadium, where we played two Pinstripe Bowls -- 8.2 miles. Hell, CitiField, in Queens, further away than the football stadium in New Jersey (10.5 miles).

So please, be far less pissed.

A couple of thoughts about NYC and making SU attractive to the ACC. The ACC wanted SU in the early 2000s before the whole NY's College Team. We are attractive because of basketball with a respectable football name. GA Tech, FSU, Miami and BC were schools who wanted us (partially to help keep the Triangle schools from making it all about basketball). Swofford was aware that football was driving the TV bus and he didn't want the big football programs jumping elsewhere. Nothing DG has done suddenly made SU more attractive to the ACC (other than maybe returning their phone calls unlike Jake and Buzz)

I would go as far to say that if Jake/Buzz were willing to flip after the initial vote, that SU would have been added before BC a decade ago.

As far as these games, Alsacs makes a very valid point about SU giving up two HOME games to MetLife. There is little doubt that ND would have been open to making one of the MetLife games a home game for them as they will dominate the crowd anyway. SU obviously needs the extra $ from these games, but I think that the new tv deal should give DG and the AD a bit more flexibility to get a marquee game to the Dome.

And back in 2002 when the decision for wanting SU was made, SU was already NYC's third favorite college FOOTBALL team and typically was getting TV ratings for games in the high 2s and low 3s nationally. And the thinking by many on this board back in 2003 was that ACC was taking BC before SU was precisely because Boston>>>>>>Syracuse. If that was any part of the equation, TGD was determined to make sure that wasn't a stumbling block for either the BiG or ACC in comparison with Rutgers or UConn. If he hadn't and the unthinkable occurred where we wound up where UConn is today, I'd have burned TGD at the stake myself for not doing what he could.

Lastly, as already been pointed out, there is a third party involved in these contracts MetLife.

Cheers,
Neil

BC was picked over SU because they were flipping to turn their back on the Big East after promising not to leave. Jake and Buzz held to their promise (probably stubbornly) after the swap of Va Tech. DG gets way too much credit for the ACC move, and I want some proof before I believe that SU received strong consideration from the BiG

BC was picked over SU because they were flipping to turn their back on the Big East after promising not to leave. Jake and Buzz held to their promise (probably stubbornly) after the swap of Va Tech. DG gets way too much credit for the ACC move, and I want some proof before I believe that SU received strong consideration from the BiG
This is right for the record. the Big East minutes that were leaked online years ago confirmed that DePlippo and Fr. Leahy of BC weren't as committed the Big East as Crouthamel and Buzz were. Crouthamel even vowed to resign if the Big East went to 16 teams and he did resign afterwards. BC was playing both sides in 2003 the ACC and Big East as after the NCAA refused the ACC request for a championship game with 11 teams the ACC knew it needed another team and Boston College wanted that 12th slot while Syracuse with honor let the ACC move go bye and BC was picked as the 12th team.

Dr. Gross deserves some credit for the ACC move, but IMO we owe more to the fact the ACC resigned with ESPN in 2010 for less money then the conference realized it could get due to TV sports rights being more valuable due to eye balls and ability to sell commercials. The ACC realized to re-open its TV contract with ESPN it needed expansion and Syracuse was discussed early by ACC insiders like David Glenn, and Pitt was chosen allegedly because BC blackballed UConn. I don't think SU was ever a serious candidate for B1G, but who knows when Dr. Gross retires maybe he will say the truth.