HCFB on Athletic CFB Podcast | Syracusefan.com

HCFB on Athletic CFB Podcast

This whole "geography" narrative is like a self fulfilling prophecy, IMO. I mean we're not in Siberia ffs, and it hasn't prevented great athletes coming here in the past.
If we start winning again, the studs will come, regardless of where we're located.

This whole "geography" narrative is like a self fulfilling prophecy, IMO. I mean we're not in Siberia ffs, and it hasn't prevented great athletes coming here in the past.
If we start winning again, the studs will come, regardless of where we're located.

Agreed. It's cold in lots of the country. Not sure why people think Syracuse is a frozen wasteland. They act like Wisconsin and Michigan and Ohio are these beach destinations or something.

What’s interesting and awesome i hat this board has had a heavy dose of self doubt. “Small private school” and “geography/weather works against us.”

Brown has blow through those excuses rather defiantly. Hopefully he proves to be right versus delusional when we sit here 2-3 years from now.

If NYS ever produced more D1 football talent a lot of the recruiting concerns would go away. Look no further than the basketball scene. Lots more high end talent in both NYS and the Northeast area in general for hoops. People don't care about the weather when they're already used to it here.

Being a private school can be a disadvantage but with consistent winning/interest in the program there's opportunity to attract wealthy boosters.

I’ve had pleasure of meeting Fran and hearing him speak a few times. Love every interview.

The optimism re. NIL and Syracuse is great. It’s flipping the narrative. Dino was “we can’t.” You’ll never ever hear that from Fran. He will out hustle guys and outwork everyone. And that extends to fundraising for NIL too.

It didn’t come up in this interview but he’s gunning for Penn State (and this was before the Ahmad drama). He views us as equals and we should be beating them on the recruiting trail and on the field. I don’t know what they did to him but he has a natural hatred of them that I love.

Isn't it amazing what hiring a coach with a "glass half full" mentality can accomplish? Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the traditional doom and gloomers to buy in.
He’s winning them over already. He’s getting folks to open the checkbook up too. It’s very impressive.

Pretty sure he doesn’t sleep. He’s a sleep when I’m retired type of guy. Work ethic is very impressive. Hopefully it translates to wins because as he says in interview, that ultimately matters the most.

He’s winning them over already. He’s getting folks to open the checkbook up too. It’s very impressive.

Pretty sure he doesn’t sleep. He’s a sleep when I’m retired type of guy. Work ethic is very impressive. Hopefully it translates to wins because as he says in interview, that ultimately matters the most.

Yes, very good at getting $$$$

Will need more to continue the momentum.

I know some are wait and see before opening up even more than they have.

If he has a successful first season, watch out.

I’ve had pleasure of meeting Fran and hearing him speak a few times. Love every interview.

The optimism re. NIL and Syracuse is great. It’s flipping the narrative. Dino was “we can’t.” You’ll never ever hear that from Fran. He will out hustle guys and outwork everyone. And that extends to fundraising for NIL too.

It didn’t come up in this interview but he’s gunning for Penn State (and this was before the Ahmad drama). He views us as equals and we should be beating them on the recruiting trail and on the field. I don’t know what they did to him but he has a natural hatred of them that I love.
Fran has been terrific and his results ( in a short time ) speak for themselves, But this Dino was always negative is bs. I really didn’t see that from him until late in his tenure here. He was extremely optimistic early on .

If NYS ever produced more D1 football talent a lot of the recruiting concerns would go away. Look no further than the basketball scene. Lots more high end talent in both NYS and the Northeast area in general for hoops. People don't care about the weather when they're already used to it here.

Being a private school can be a disadvantage but with consistent winning/interest in the program there's opportunity to attract wealthy boosters.
Yep the fact that NY doesn’t produce high end football talent is the biggest disadvantage we have. Making Jersey so crucial to our success

Fran has been terrific and his results ( in a short time ) speak for themselves, But this Dino was always negative is bs. I really didn’t see that from him until late in his tenure here. He was extremely optimistic early on .
He was worn down for sure but he never went after top targets like FB does. He assumed he couldn’t get them.

Im sure it started with him going against them at Rutgers and Temple

I'll be the first to eat crow on our recruiting shortcomings. Fran has helped change my mindset in short order. And it makes sense.

Georgia hired a guy with NJ roots to help recruit NJ and the northeast.
Texas A&M hired a guy with NJ roots to help recruit NJ and the northeast.

If there's no talent in these areas, they wouldn't have hired them. I think the thinking that Syracuse is a hard job because of recruiting has served Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, and the SEC very well.

Dino started off extremely confident as well. I remember him talking about "who cares about the weather, I play inside 6 games a year."

Fran seems built better for NIL and recruiting than Dino ever was. I think Dino (and alot of us) thought recruiting would get easier after 2018 and the 10 wins. It just never panned out.

Dino started off extremely confident as well. I remember him talking about "who cares about the weather, I play inside 6 games a year."

Fran seems built better for NIL and recruiting than Dino ever was. I think Dino (and alot of us) thought recruiting would get easier after 2018 and the 10 wins. It just never panned out.

Dino did himself no favors on the recruiting trail and I will leave it at that

Dino had a formula - and it worked leading to the 2018 season. And it worked with a dual threat like Dungey that helped to compensate for OL shortcomings. Then they get a big recruiting win in 2017 for DeVito even though he wasn't a QB fit for what made Dino's first 3 years of offense here work. And the rest is history. Just a strange trajectory overall.

Dino did himself no favors on the recruiting trail and I will leave it at that
Yup. Fran knows how this game is played, especially in the northeast. Dino never had to play that game. And it showed. Their capabilities as recruiters are so different and that’s fine. No ill will to Dino who I liked and supported. FB never takes shots at Dino either and is very complimentary about the guys he recruited. We’re just upping the game.

Yup. Fran knows how this game is played, especially in the northeast. Dino never had to play that game. And it showed. Their capabilities as recruiters are so different and that’s fine. No ill will to Dino who I liked and supported. FB never takes shots at Dino either and is very complimentary about the guys he recruited. We’re just upping the game.
Dino definitely recruited some quality players - that's not even debatable. I think the major issue with Dino is the imbalanced roster - positions he did well with (DB/LB) he really excelled with and others were just chronic weaknesses year in, year out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom