HCSS is the lowest paid coach in the ACC by $350,000 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

HCSS is the lowest paid coach in the ACC by $350,000

you genuinely think Shafer - a 2nd year head coach with a slightly over .500 record - will get a lot of attention for other schools that would be a step up from Syracuse, after an 8-5 record? That's nuts.

Shafer has less experience and no proven track record of head coaching success. It makes perfect sense that he isn't as highly paid. As he gains experience and proves his head coaching acumen, he'll be compensated accordingly.

As mentioned, the bigger concern is being able to retain quality assistants, as that market is way more fluid than the head coach market - especially when those assistants are proven recruiters.

First, does not have to be a step-up - a lateral paying half a million or more higher would be just fine thank you. Secondly, every coach knows that there is no loyalty anymore and they have to make money while they can.

Shafer and Indiana coach Kevin Wilson are the lowest paid in the P5. The Purdue coach makes $900,000 more.

Shafer likes it here but things will change and the honeymoon will be over. Hell, I think it ended with Nova.

Shafer is underpaid and it won't take long for it to be an issue. That is just human nature.

If Shafer wins here he will be in demand just like Marrone, the only difference will be it will be from college programs.

Lastly, programs that don't pay their HC don't pay assistants either.

Sometimes coaches stay put in a place because of their family or kids. Not sure if that could be a reason for him staying long term or not. Hope he keeps winning and we're able to reward him appropriately

He has the least amount of head coaching experience of any of the coaches. He should be the lowest paid. His raises will come along with his success. Just like in most businesses.
Except that the floor for a HC at a P5 school is higher. Your premise is correct, but it doesn't address the question.

I'm tired as hell of us paying crap for our coaches.

First, does not have to be a step-up - a lateral paying half a million or more higher would be just fine thank you. Secondly, every coach knows that there is no loyalty anymore and they have to make money while they can.

Shafer and Indiana coach Kevin Wilson are the lowest paid in the P5. The Purdue coach makes $900,000 more.

Shafer likes it here but things will change and the honeymoon will be over. Hell, I think it ended with Nova.

Shafer is underpaid and it won't take long for it to be an issue. That is just human nature.

If Shafer wins here he will be in demand just like Marrone, the only difference will be it will be from college programs.

Good points. The Good Doctor knows exactly what you are saying and will not let Shafer go without a fight. Raises will be forthcoming when Shafer puts out wins. The same holds true for the staff. TGD knows he does not want another GRob problem on his hand. This is a young staff with little experience and they will earn more with maturity and improvement.

I agree with others that if Shafer gets 8 wins this season, he and staff get increases.

I imagine the assistants are also underpaid by ACC standards. We are not a bottom dweller in the conference and our coaching salaries should not be that far below what appears to be the average market value of an ACC HC. If the Orange were to finish the season with say, an 8-5 record with a bowl win Shafer will get a lot of attention. I know he likes it here but if someone comes along and offers to pay him what he will be worth he would be a fool not to take the money - just like FHCDM. I hope we are paying attention.

View attachment 24049
I think what everyone in this thread is missing is that almost every one of the people on that list was hired away from another school and in order to do that they had to really sweeten the pot for that coach. Shafer was already here, and while I don't know numbers I bet we came close to tripling his salary when we hired him.

He has the least amount of head coaching experience of any of the coaches. He should be the lowest paid. His raises will come along with his success. Just like in most businesses.
Sounds like a union job.

Crusty - he has 9 total wins as a HC. As long as his comp stays competitive to the years as HC & wins with the rest in the ACC he should be satisfied. So in year 3 (15+ wins) he should be up to $1.75M and year 4 $2M (22-25 wins).

The issue is assistant coaches but they are all new at current positions and were upgraded from D3 coaching jobs. But by year 3-4 they will need adjustments as well.

I just know from history the a Good Doctor could not pay HCDM or his assistants because their was not much money coming from the BE but should be no excuse now coming from the increased ACC $$$. Also given the new IPF and other upgrades to keep us competitive in recruiting . All of this should go hand in hand to keep many the coaches here.

All I'm going to add is the past climate of excessive spending that went on is being put to an end by Syverud (not just SUAD but all over campus including the current hiring freeze in place except Syverud cronies) - I just hope he also doesn't put the breaks on paying competitive wages in the football program.

Sounds like a union job.

Sounds like he is where he should be as the HC of Syracuse job, internal hire, first time HC. Again at Syracuse. 6-8 wins this year he will get a bump. Don't know where union has anything to do with it.

I think what everyone in this thread is missing is that almost every one of the people on that list was hired away from another school and in order to do that they had to really sweeten the pot for that coach. Shafer was already here, and while I don't know numbers I bet we came close to tripling his salary when we hired him.
True.

Also, while I don't know this for sure, I know Scott Shafer, and I will bet that as a condition of him taking the job, he took a lower salary to get more money available to pay for his assistant coaches. That is how he rolls.

I suspect that Marrone's situation was very different than SS's situation.

First, Marrone was about to be interviewed by NFL teams for a HC position back in 2008 when he was hired by SU.

Second, Marrone was viewed as having built the SU program from nothing.

Really? How many JB's are there? Uh 1.

But JB is an interesting example. Clearly, if JB were interested in making more money, he could have demanded and gotten it. But in Syracuse, adjusted for cost of living, he didn't have to make as much as other coaches to live comfortably. So instead of chasing maximum $$$, he made a decent salary--one not on par with his accomplishments, no question about it--and was OK with that. Just for the sake of comparison, a million dollars in CNY is totally different than a million dollars in Boston, Florida, California, etc.

I'm not arguing that Shafer won't eventually want more. JB was a Syracuse guy through and through, so the hometown discount makes sense in his case. I doubt we can count on that goodwill from a football coach who really doesn't have roots at SU. But he also might be OK with a million+ salary, with incremental gains as he continues to achieve success. It doesn't cost that much to live in CNY.

Hopefully it won't be an issue moving forward, now that our athletic program is generating far more revenue from the ACC. When we hired Shafer, we weren't benefitting from that money... yet. In a year or two, it won't be an issue, and hopefully the school finds a way to compensate both Shafer and the assistant coaching staff in a manner commensurate with what other programs are paying.

Yep, you get a discount when you hire from within. If Spaziani was still at BC, Shafer would have more company at the bottom.

The key for Shafer will be his extension.

Sounds like he is where he should be as the HC of Syracuse job, internal hire, first time HC. Again at Syracuse. 6-8 wins this year he will get a bump. Don't know where union has anything to do with it.
cliftonparksufan said he has the least experience so he should be the lowest paid. That sound like union seniority mentality to me. His HC experience is only one factor in the equation. The market for ACC head coaches appears to be significantly above what we are paying. If that is not a warning sign I don't know what is.

If he wins 8 games (or even 7) at Syracuse with our football reputation in the cellar, he will get noticed big time. His recruiting will turn heads and he will get turn around credit by association. Believe it or not the better DM does the better it is for HCSS - DM's reference will mean more.

I know it is early and I know the season needs to play out, but I want to blown the warning buzzer early and often.

True.

Also, while I don't know this for sure, I know Scott Shafer, and I will bet that as a condition of him taking the job, he took a lower salary to get more money available to pay for his assistant coaches. That is how he rolls.

This is precisely what HCJF chose at FSU and (I believe) HCDS at Clemson.

cliftonparksufan said he has the least experience so he should be the lowest paid. That sound like union seniority mentality to me. His HC experience is only one factor in the equation. The market for ACC head coaches appears to be significantly above what we are paying. If that is not a warning sign I don't know what is.

If he wins 8 games (or even 7) at Syracuse with our football reputation in the cellar, he will get noticed big time. His recruiting will turn heads and he will get turn around credit by association. Believe it or not the better DM does the better it is for HCSS - DM's reference will mean more.

I know it is early and I know the season needs to play out, but I want to blown the warning buzzer early and often.

lets overpay for a guy with a 9-6 record? Contrary to what people may believe, Shafer is still not a proven commodity, he has some work to do. Lets wait for year #2 to play out before we ink a new deal as you alluded too. If we lose this weekend, people will be clamoring that he is in over his head! Would you pay a guy 2 million if he was willing to work for 1.4 mil?. Union seniority? Sounds like open market, buyer and seller to me and as of right now fair market value with a willing buyer and willing seller, which is how I believe it is defined. Nobody has a gun to their head

I love Shafer as much as the next guy but he is still far from a proven commodity and this recruiting prowess that you speak of ?? We will wait and see there too. That said, I am not one flying off the handle in both directions when the guy shites or winds his watch. Pay the guy when he proves he is worth 2.2 mil at Syracuse, in addition Shafer will probably take 1.75 and leave the rest for assistants because that is who he is. I wouldn't pay in fear

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom