"he brings more to the table than I do" - HCDM about HCSS | Syracusefan.com

"he brings more to the table than I do" - HCDM about HCSS

OrangeFoo

All American
CuseNation.com@CuseNationFOX
Gross: "When I was talking to Marrone about Scott, he was fired up and said 'he brings more to the table than I do.'"

This is a very very revealing quote by Marrone in my opinion assuming its not more hot air from Gross. I think it's pretty clear he knew he wasn't cut out for coaching a college program with all of the emphasis on the kids and recruiting that is needed along with being the public face of the program. I agree with the number of posters who are saying that Shafer is a better college coach than Marrone and it looks like Doug agrees.

Count me in as a supporter of Coach Shafer!

I appreciate what Doug is saying, but I respectfully disagree, the fact that Doug had 3 NFL offers proves that.

The only possible thing Doug could have meant is in terms of recruiting.
I think it means that Doug wants to be just an Xs and Os type of guy... to be successful as a college coach Xs and Os are almost the smallest piece of it. Looks like Shafer is going to embrace all of it, not just the Xs and Os.

Gross: "When I was talking to Marrone about Scott, he was fired up and said 'he brings more to the table than I do.'"

This is a very very revealing quote by Marrone in my opinion assuming its not more hot air from Gross. I think it's pretty clear he knew he wasn't cut out for coaching a college program with all of the emphasis on the kids and recruiting that is needed along with being the public face of the program. I agree with the number of posters who are saying that Shafer is a better college coach than Marrone and it looks like Doug agrees.

"than I do, in a lot of ways".

awful lot of supposition about mind set there.

Shafer could very well be better suited to the college game. But there's very few people that could have done the job Marrone did here the last four years.

Honestly, with all the talk here about what a good recruiter HCSS is......our class is ranked 70?

Said it last night in the chat room and will say it again. Scott Shafer has a higher ceiling as a college coach than Doug Marrone. Not saying he's a better coach, not even saying he is a good one. We don't know that. But I think he has the aptitude to become a better college coach.

Marrone was great for setting the tone - and great at moving the direction of this program in the right direction.

But he was not long for this job, no matter what. I firmly believe that.

Between the fundraising, the recruiting, and the handling of off-the-field matters, he is much better suited for the NFL. It's all football, all the time there.

It was also in DM's interest to talk up SS to get the head coach job so he could then walk off with Hackett.

Said it last night in the chat room and will say it again. Scott Shafer has a higher ceiling as a college coach than Doug Marrone. Not saying he's a better coach, not even saying he is a good one. We don't know that. But I think he has the aptitude to become a better college coach.

Marrone was great for setting the tone - and great at moving the direction of this program in the right direction.

But he was not long for this job, no matter what. I firmly believe that.

Between the fundraising, the recruiting, and the handling of off-the-field matters, he is much better suited for the NFL. It's all football, all the time there.

Some guys are great at turnarounds and changing cultures in organizations, some have other skill sets. They usually burn out and get frustrated when they've made all the change they can.

"than I do, in a lot of ways".

awful lot of supposition about mind set there.

Shafer could very well be better suited to the college game. But there's very few people that could have done the job Marrone did here the last four years.

Just glad to know that Shafer was there with him the whole time. Has to help. Really hope this works.

More than likely, Marrone was campaigning for Shafer. I just referred a friend (who may be on this board) for a job. I gave him a glowing review too because I want to put him in the best situation possible to attain that job.

It was also in DM's interest to talk up SS to get the head coach job so he could then walk off with Hackett.

I don't think so. It's possible, contrary to this board, that he is both lobbying for SU and offering a young coach a chance of a lifetime.

Some guys are great at turnarounds and changing cultures in organizations, some have other skill sets. They usually burn out and get frustrated when they've made all the change they can.
And that is all there is to it.

Let's not over analyze. He was likely just throwing a nice compliment out there.

Anyone who has taken business knows that there is an organizational growth curve. And managers of organizations usually specialize in certain areas of the curve (startup, growth, sustained growth, decline).

I liken it to creating a garden or farm. Some people don't like to do the dirty work and till the land to create the plot to make the garden. Others, that's what they thrive on. Certain "farmers" may specialize in cultivating the crops after someone else has planted the seeds.

In the world of sports, not many coaches like (or are very good at ) doing the entire job from plowing the land all the way to plucking the fruit and starting all over.

SS brings more 'energy and passion' to recruiting

Honestly, with all the talk here about what a good recruiter HCSS is......our class is ranked 70?
Really? Do you understand recruiting and the way it's ranked? Firstly, the highest rated kids are in the southeast, Texas, and California. Consequently, we're not going to attract most them based on geography alone. Secondly, this class was going to small no matter who was recruiting, so the ranking was going to be lower.

Take a look at our 3 star quarterback. 5 programs all ranked much higher than us just made a run at him. What's more telling of how good he might be, the stars after his name and the mediocre rating that comes with them, or the schools that pursued him at the last minute? He stated committed at least partly because of Shafer. Identifying under the radar talent will always be important to our program, and that will never show up in rankings.

What else would he say? Marrone hired Shafer and now Shafer gets promoted to Marrone's old job. He has to say this or he looks like a complete ass.

I take everything literally so what I read is that diner time at the Shafer house is awesome. The fastest way to a teams/recruits heart is through their stomach!

In the end, a good NFL coordinator went to the college he "grew up" at and made lots of improvements. He then decided to go back to the NFL because it's a better job. He offered a job to a kid he took a chance on and the kid took it - because it's a better job. Now he's endorsing the guy he worked with every day for four years and who is by all accounts very deserving. Shafer -wait for it - got a better job. The AD, the student athletes, and at least one high-profile recruit all think it's a good hire.

See what happens when you remove the scorned-fan emotional response? It's a very simple, logical story. Time to stop lobbing hand grenades at Doug and Hack. They did what you would do. It was messy around the edges, but in the end was handled well. I'm moving on and excited for the future of Syracuse football.