Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson | Syracusefan.com

Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson

swish7

All Conference
In Millhouse's awesomely dickish thread, numerous people commented on how we can expect a better performance against UNC. Admittedly, I haven't watched them, but for spurts here and there. They are ranked 14th in the country, which is better than Clemson was ranked when we played them.

So, what logic stimulates the 'we should feel better about this game' synapse?

Shouldn't this be an even bigger loss?

In Millhouse's awesomely dickish thread, numerous people commented on how we can expect a better performance against UNC. Admittedly, I haven't watched them, but for spurts here and there. They are ranked 14th in the country, which is better than Clemson was ranked when we played them.

Good chance it could be a bigger loss. It's on the road, against a better offense, better QB. And I think we're pretty banged up.

But I think Clemson and UNC would be a close game. UNC's offense is better, Clemson's defense is better.

UNC's defense, while better than last year, is not nearly as good as Clemson's.

Clemson has dudes that can wreck us single-handedly.

UNC won't be that big of a mismatch.

Our offense will struggle mightily I feel. A game plan requiring Shredder to run the ball repeatedly. We're becoming very 1 dimensional again. Our defense will need to play very very well, and they're capable of it.

Because even tho Clemson came into that game 2-2 statistically they beat FSU and Duke.

The Duke game was they had some flukey fumbles.

FSU they lost because they missed a field goal at the end of the game, from a field goalie kicker who “retired” that they enticed to come back the week before? He had just got enough practices to be available the day of.

While Clemson isn’t a “top 25” team, they had athletes that are a top 5 team in the nation, no doubt.

UNC has a pretty awful defense. Their offense, is electric.

There’s a reason that at home, UNC was only favored by about a TD

Top 25 rankings are a terrible measure of how good a team is. Clemson is about 4 points better in Sagarin’s predictor rankings…with Clemson at home and UNC on the road that puts them reasonably close once that’s taken into account.

Personally I feel better about our chances at UNC because as of today, 10/2/23 - ESPN gives us a 38.9% chance of winning. They give us a 0.00% chance of winning the Clemson game we already lost. While that’s a little bit of a dickish reply, I’m glad we’re at a point people are still generally positive and can put losses behind them - it wasn’t that long ago that was not the case here.

I don’t think their Dline is as big as Clemson, but I’m hearing that they are faster.

The thinking is that Clemson has a much better defense than UNC, so we should get our fair share of points against them. Their offense is very good, though, better than Clemson.

So, on paper, this would seem like one of those recent games against Wake Forest when they had that really good QB who transferred this year (to Notre Dame?).

Shrader and Allen will be productive with their legs. Our WRs will have a little more space.

If Drake Maye has the game of his life and plays flawlessly might be a long day for the D without many punts from them but I wouldn't take that for granted

Good chance it could be a bigger loss. It's on the road, against a better offense, better QB. And I think we're pretty banged up.

But I think Clemson and UNC would be a close game. UNC's offense is better, Clemson's defense is better.
why is UNC a better offense.

Clem played Duke, SU
UNC has played?? Pitt I guess who is a mess.

I’m not expecting a win, I just commented in the prediction thread a 34-24 UNC win. However top 25 rankings aren’t a good way to predict how you’ll play against a team. Clemson has a better defense than UNC, while UNC isn’t nearly as bad as they were last year on the defensive side, there should be more plays to be made against them than there were against Clemson. Obviously it’ll be difficult going on the road and beating them, but I don’t think we’re as bad or as out of sync as we looked Saturday. I think we’re a good football team.

Really? Because they are ranked higher than Clemson when we played them we can’t possibly do better against them? How long have you watched football? No offense but I am dumber after reading this “ logic”.

Simple.

Clemson came into Dome mad AF after 2 L’s and super focused bc Dabo knows we can take ‘em to the brink

UNC will overlook us because they think we suck and they have Miami next week.

We’re almost definitely going to win.

Or we might lose.

Clempsun is a better team.

If the Orangemen don't make a lot of mistakes (penalties, turnovers) then it should be a close game.
As predicted elsewhere, a 31-27 Orange victory!

This has 56-0 written all over it.

No, that's Florida State, if someone important were to get knocked out of the game.

Millhouse’s handle description needs to immediately be changed to “Awesomely dickish”. My goodness. Perfection

SU offense is often good against ordinary defenses and it's not clear yet how good their defense is so we have a chance of winning a shootout

Against Clemson, we can't pass well enough to do well on offense so the only chance was turnover luck (which went Clemson's way and made it look worse than it actually was)

Last edited:
Thing that scares me most is UNC is rested...and physically we got the $#^t kicked out of us.
Moye has been sacked 9 times//picked off 4 times in 4 games. Rocky should be able to figure out something. But will Beck??? Cuse needs 31 pts to have a shot.