Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill

If the schools (who are mainly state run) cannot restrict movement, how can congress?
It's not that the schools cannot restrict movement, they choose not to restrict movement. Huge difference. This is interstate commerce. Under the Constitution, Congress has absolute authority to control it. If they want to require the use of only 20-mule teams to move {fill in a commodity here} across state lines, they can do that and no one can overrule them.

Last edited:
It's not that the schools cannot restrict movement, they choose not to restrict movement. Huge difference. This is interstate commerce. Under the Constitution, Congress has absolute authority to control it. If they want to require the use of only 20-mule teams to move {fill in a commodity here} across state lines, they can do that and no one can overrule them.
Were they not forced by the courts?

It’s almost never a good thing to have the federal government involved. The people making special interest legislation only care about how that legislation will help them fund raise so they can get elected, and thus become more powerful and wealthy. If they have to do it by quashing the rights of teenagers, many of whom are poor and/or minorities and women, so be it. Those people have no power (money).
that damn Americans with Disability Act!
I wish the Civil Rights Bill never occurred!
Stop with the medicaid, medicare and social security! Get out of my life GOVT!

The government is perfectly imperfect. I trust legislation over the NCAA at this point. The representatives the blue states have will be helpful here.

No, the only thing the court ruled is that the NCAA could not prohibit a college athlete from benefiting on their name, image or likeness, unless you are referring to another court ruling.

No, the only thing the court ruled is that the NCAA could not prohibit a college athlete from benefiting on their name, image or likeness, unless you are referring to another court ruling.

Then why did they change the transfer rule? No one likes it.

It all depends.

But I think the 3 year rule helps the factories more. Our best bet is to get someone who's unhappy early on. Our most likely players to lose are people who have been here 3 years and shown on the field that they were better than their recruiting profile out of HS.

I was a big fan of there was immediate eligibility if the player graduated. We’ve seen here at cuse several cases of a player graduating at 3 years and then transferring. This should be celebrated and encouraged ascots a benefit to player to bear down and get credits to culminate in a degree

It may have been they changed it because they thought something worse was coming. I think there will be more stability once all the players who got extra COVID years are gone. there will still be movement, but not as drastic as now.

BTW, there was an article is USA Today yesterday (IIRC) that there is another class-action lawsuit regarding NIL. This time, players want the ability to work directly with the schools with NIL - basically contract their name, image and likeness to the school. Right now, schools can't work/pay directly with the athletes. This would change it, if I understand the lawsuit correctly.

I was a big fan of there was immediate eligibility if the player graduated. We’ve seen here at cuse several cases of a player graduating at 3 years and then transferring. This should be celebrated and encouraged ascots a benefit to player to bear down and get credits to culminate in a degree
In theory, the grad transfer exception is a good rule. However, I remember that a few years ago, Seth Greenberg, on ESPN, quoted the result of a study of grad transfers in basketball covering the first 4 years of the new rule. The number of grad students who had received a grad degree was--Zero. Now, I assume (hope) that this has improved, but the academic angle on this is simply a fig leaf.

That's why I applaud SU's own John Gillon, who did get his masters although he has continued with a professional basketball career.

Dems are co-sponsoring it. And let's not forget the Senate also has a bill, co-sponsored/written by Cory Booker. Why would one thing have to do with another?
It's politics. "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine."

And, of course, the two issues have nothing to do with each other. The military promotions are much more important than the feds bailing out the NCAA.

Let’s keep government out of sports. That can’t figure out how to keep the government open and pay their bills without playing games. Any fixable issue, they will find a way to muck it up! Way too many politicians are corrupt and some will find a way to profit from the bill themselves!

BTW, there was an article is USA Today yesterday (IIRC) that there is another class-action lawsuit regarding NIL. This time, players want the ability to work directly with the schools with NIL - basically contract their name, image and likeness to the school. Right now, schools can't work/pay directly with the athletes. This would change it, if I understand the lawsuit correctly.
That would be disastrous.

In theory, the grad transfer exception is a good rule. However, I remember that a few years ago, Seth Greenberg, on ESPN, quoted the result of a study of grad transfers in basketball covering the first 4 years of the new rule. The number of grad students who had received a grad degree was--Zero. Now, I assume (hope) that this has improved, but the academic angle on this is simply a fig leaf.

That's why I applaud SU's own John Gillon, who did get his masters although he has continued with a professional basketball career.
Most graduate degrees take 18 months to 24 months full-time so unless a player gets a good start in their Masters before becoming a grad student, most wouldn’t have the time to earn a post graduate degree.

Most graduate degrees take 18 months to 24 months full-time so unless a player gets a good start in their Masters before becoming a grad student, most wouldn’t have the time to earn a post graduate degree.
I left out an important part of the findings of the study--when the athletic eligibility ended, so did the grad work in most cases. Which brings up the question of whether academics had much, if anything, to do with the decision to transfer for a grad program that is not available at the undergraduate institution.

I would also not be surprised if more than a few bailed in the middle of the Spring semester, as those preparing for pro drafts routinely do.

I am not discounting the possibility that some of those who began graduate studies might continue and finish those studies at a later date. But I think that would be the exception rather than the rule.

I left out an important part of the findings of the study--when the athletic eligibility ended, so did the grad work in most cases. Which brings up the question of whether academics had much, if anything, to do with the decision to transfer for a grad program that is not available at the undergraduate institution.

I would also not be surprised if more than a few bailed in the middle of the Spring semester, as those preparing for pro drafts routinely do.

I am not discounting the possibility that some of those who began graduate studies might continue and finish those studies at a later date. But I think that would be the exception rather than the rule.
I would assume that having just half the credits towards a degree paid for,

would result in a delay in finishing and being able to finance the rest. Some go on and complete online, in their home town etc in some capacity, others get married, get a job and reassess the need for a masters in their current situation. Some firms will help pay towards completion, others not. Regardless having those credits can’t hurt but only help them have options in their future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom