Here's my issue with JB... | Syracusefan.com

Here's my issue with JB...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Love the man, and have worshiped the ground he walked on since I was 8 years old.

With that said, a lot of you are saying that all he was doing was "sticking up for his friend." If that's all it was, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Unfortunately, he also called out accusers and said they told "1,000 lies." That goes beyond backing your friend, it attacks the victim in all this, and that is never looked upon graciously.

Yes I know that quote came from a conversation where he was talking about a comment from Davis that put JB in the hotel room at one point. But Coach continued that line of thinking, and that's what people are relating this to right now.

Is that an offense that gets one fired? Before Penn State I would say no emphatically. Now? I'm not so sure. If only he had said "Bernie has been a friend for 50 years and I stand behind him." That's perfectly fine. When you attack a victim who is now looking like his version of things is way closer to the truth then Fine's, well that's where you get into a grey area.

I don't want Coach B. to go down like this, but I think it's a 50-50 chance that he is gone because of those comments, and how he said them. You are accountable for the things you say, and what he said went beyond just standing behind a friend.

Even the news reports today were qualifying his statement by saying he was referring to the hotel room comment by Davis. I think he will face the cameras or make a statement of apology of some sort.

Love the man, and have worshiped the ground he walked on since I was 8 years old.

With that said, a lot of you are saying that all he was doing was "sticking up for his friend." If that's all it was, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Unfortunately, he also called out accusers and said they told "1,000 lies." That goes beyond backing your friend, it attacks the victim in all this, and that is never looked upon graciously.

Yes I know that quote came from a conversation where he was talking about a comment from Davis that put JB in the hotel room at one point. But Coach continued that line of thinking, and that's what people are relating this to right now.

Is that an offense that gets one fired? Before Penn State I would say no emphatically. Now? I'm not so sure. If only he had said "Bernie has been a friend for 50 years and I stand behind him." That's perfectly fine. When you attack a victim who is now looking like his version of things is way closer to the truth then Fine's, well that's where you get into a grey area.

I don't want Coach B. to go down like this, but I think it's a 50-50 chance that he is gone because of those comments, and how he said them. You are accountable for the things you say, and what he said went beyond just standing behind a friend.

Honestly, I think that an insensitive comment is the least of his concerns at this point. He's going to be accountable to the university first in terms of what he knew and when he knew it. That is going to take significant precedence over his public statements last week.

I hear what your saying but my take is that BF old JB that this was a BS story over money... JB took the bait and ran with it... I don't fault JB for that over a 50 friendship... But the game has changed.

Honestly, I think that an insensitive comment is the least of his concerns at this point. He's going to be accountable to the university first in terms of what he knew and when he knew it. That is going to take precedence over his public statements last week.
Sure, I agree with that. I am still holding out hope he didn't know anything. If that's true, than it's his statements during the uproar that could be damning to him. Personally I wouldn't blame the university for napalming the basketball program. After Penn State, you just can't look like you're dragging your feet on things like this.

Sure, I agree with that. I am still holding out hope he didn't know anything. If that's true, than it's his statements during the uproar that could be damning to him. Personally I wouldn't blame the university for napalming the basketball program. After Penn State, you just can't look like you're dragging your feet on things like this.

You and me both...you and me both.

Let's hope that at the end of the day, the only thing JB has to be held accountable for is his comments [quite a few of which were defensible, given what Davis attributed to Boeheim].

Is that an offense that gets one fired? Before Penn State I would say no emphatically. Now? I'm not so sure. If only he had said "Bernie has been a friend for 50 years and I stand bedavishind him." That's perfectly fine. When you attack a victim who is now looking like his version of things is way closer to the truth then Fine's, well that's where you get into a grey area.

Well, I respect your position and view, but disagree.
JB essentially said he believed his friend of many decades was not a monster as described by accusers. In saying that, it means he believed the accusers were liars, and he went so far as to say so. And that's about it.

JB essentially said he believed his friend of many decades was not a monster as described by accusers. In saying that, it means he believed the accusers were liars, and he went so far as to say so. And that's about it.
But it is more than that, isn't it? This theory of sticking up for a friend is the act, but the consequences go far beyond the false belief at this stage.

I'm hoping and want a suspension and am praying it isn't a termination.

Well yes and no, his comments while bombastic were backed by what he considered a lie told about himself and by the a previous university investigation...

Yes he did essentially say that, while also saying a guy who is potentially a victim of a sex crime by his good friend of 50 years is a liar. And "that's about it" is GIGANTIC. It's not something that you can just say "hey I was just kiding there," or sticking up for your friend. So many reporters, etc... will say "no you called a sex abuse victim a liar." That's awful and right now the only thing that matters is the court of public opinion. That's where JB is being tried, and if he doesn't do some major backtracking now, the university might have no choice but to cut ties with him.

Well yes and no, his comments while bombastic were backed by what he considered a lie told about himself and by the a previous university investigation...
Who gives a ? The media isn't going to say "well he said that specifically about this particular part of the story." JB called an alleged sex abuse victim a liar, and as his claims seem to gain veracity, JB looks more and more idiotic for making a statement that was an "all in" type of statement without knowing 100% if it was true or not. Just not a smart move PR-wise by him. And that could cost him dearly.

Wasn't JB right, at the time. 3 huge organizations investigated this. Nothing came of it. Now a tape comes out, which the accuser had in his possession at the time of the first allegations and about which JB and SU had no knowledge. His friend of 50 years says this is shyt, the kid is trying to get out of the money he owes me. Now comes PSU and the charges resurface, with the same characters except the accusers brother changes his story to help his brother.

What did JB do that was punishable, let alone fireable?

Who gives a ? The media isn't going to say "well he said that specifically about this particular part of the story." JB called an alleged sex abuse victim a liar, and as his claims seem to gain veracity, JB looks more and more idiotic for making a statement that was an "all in" type of statement without knowing 100% if it was true or not. Just not a smart move PR-wise by him. And that could cost him dearly.
Didnt say it was smart..in his mind given the facts he knew..it was 100%..

Wasn't JB right, at the time. 3 huge organizations investigated this. Nothing came of it. Now a tape comes out, which the accuser had in his possession at the time of the first allegations and about which JB and SU had no knowledge. His friend of 50 years says this is shyt, the kid is trying to get out of the money he owes me. Now comes PSU and the charges resurface, with the same characters except the accusers brother changes his story to help his brother.

What did JB do that was punishable, let alone fireable?
I'm not saying what he did was against the law or even wrong in his mind. But it's all about perception at this point. If he is perceived as sticking up for a sex abuser, that kind of stuff sticks. He opened his mouth when he shouldn't have, and said some things that he shouldn't have. With sex abuse and Penn State, that could be enough. It's about public perception at this point, and SU needs to cut ties if he doesn't backtrack and apologize very quickly. I hope he does, and he gets suspended, and then comes back. Personally I think that's enough, but the PR damage for the university could be huge. Maybe not Penn State huge, but huge nonetheless. Strange thing, college administrators don't like their university as the lead story on network news because people in their employ are sexually abusing children. JB is almost guilty by association at this point (in the public's eye) based on his "all in"comments.

If JB apologises, then no harm is done. For all he knew Fine was innocent. But, I find it hard to believe he did not know ... something.

I would have to believe that to come out as strong as he did in support of Fine, then he did not know a lick about his sexual preferences.

There is nothing wrong with being gay. There is something majorily wrong with being gay in a heterosexual marriage. Which apparently Fine was. And how JB could not know about this, I do not know.

Didnt say it was smart..in his mind given the facts he knew..it was 100%..
But he was wrong (or it appears he was wrong) so what now? Does no one on this board think he didn't have to be as out in front about this? I'm amazed people think that his comments at the time or in retrospect were okay. That amazes me more than anything. He could have said essentially the same thing without blaming the accusers. That's just absolutely idiotic.

If JB apologises, then no harm is done. For all he knew Fine was innocent. But, I find it hard to believe he did not know ... something.

I would have to believe that to come out as strong as he did in support of Fine, then he did not know a lick about his sexual preferences.

There is nothing wrong with being gay. There is something majorily wrong with being gay in a heterosexual marriage. Which apparently Fine was. And how JB could not know about this, I do not know.
Aren't you missing the P e d o p h I l I athing?

I don't know that we know any more about that today than we did yesterday. The tape does nothing to clear that issue up.

I have to believe (at least, I think I believe) that the University knows what JB knows. And that is that he was snowed by someone he considered a good friend. It happens. Sadly, in this case, it was something horrible that was kept secret. Many posters here have already said they had similar events happen to them. I am not making light of this at all. I am saying that I think JB made the mistake of trusting someone he has known for 50+ years, and not believing he could be involved in something this heinous. IMO, JB survives this.

I don't know that we know any more about that today than we did yesterday. The tape does nothing to clear that issue up.
You're right and I thought the same thing when I listened to the tape and read the report. With that said, the fact that it almost sounds like Bernie is a raging gay guy who doesn't know to keep his hands to himself isn't going to make it's way to the public at large. To me the tape sounded like Bernie was gay and a horn dog. It didn't sound like more than that. With the accusations and that tape though, people who aren't die hard SU fans won't take the time to point out that distinction.

I'm sure Boeheim heard the same rumors that I and many others did about Bernie's bisexuality over the years. What's he supposed to do? Ask Bernie if he likes men the same way he likes women? So if Bernie says yes does Boeheim fire him for engaging in adulterous gay sex? That's not going to go down well with the courts. So if Bernie says the rumors are untrue does Boeheim believe him and move on? Maybe (probably) he never confronts him, discounting rumors for what he sees himself and believes to be the truth. Although there have been rumors out there about Bernie's sexual orientation for decades, I don't know anyone who had ever heard before last week the words pedophile and Bernie Fine used in the same sentence.

I'm sorry, point me to where JB was accused of sexually abusing a child.

JB has a big mouth, but he did not damage anyone.

Fine is the criminal here.

JB's reaction was not all that different from many posters on this board initially, i.e., that there was no way BF could have done this and the accusers were nothing but gold diggers. Many just couldn't believe such a despicable thing could be true. JB believed this, especially being his friend for so long and apparently never knowing anything about the supposed dark side of Bernie. Hence JB's reaction was like many folks here. Difference is he called them liars in a public forum...not a smart thing to do, whether they were gold diggers or not. He needs to apologize quick. Let's hope he really didn't know.

JB's reaction was not all that different from many posters on this board initially, i.e., that there was no way BF could have done this and the accusers were nothing but gold diggers. Many just couldn't believe such a despicable thing could be true. JB believed this, especially being his friend for so long and apparently never knowing anything about the supposed dark side of Bernie. Hence JB's reaction was like many folks here. Difference is he called them liars in a public forum...not a smart thing to do, whether they were gold diggers or not. He needs to apologize quick. Let's hope he really didn't know.

Keep in mind that JB also had the benefit of the results of the 2005 investigation, which cleared Fine. It's not like he was speaking from an uninformed perspective, as some seem to suggest.

I'm sorry, point me to where JB was accused of sexually abusing a child.

JB has a big mouth, but he did not damage anyone.

Fine is the criminal here.
I think the poster's comment was in regard to BF doing a lot more wrong than simply being a gay man in a heterosexual marriage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom