Here's what I'm left hoping for | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here's what I'm left hoping for

So explain Briles at Baylor, Leach at Washington State, Montgomery at Tulsa and Babers at Bowling Green (against P5 competition)

All of them including Baylor had at best 3 star players when they started breaking all sorts of offensive records. According to you that's not possible.
Umm, Mike Leach is really lighting the world on fire at Washington State. Briles is a great recruiter, even when he was pulling in 3 stars he was getting guys into the NFL and finding diamonds in the rough. Also, lets be honest, there's so much talent to go around in Texas. Babers has done a great job, but it's a limited track record to this point. Who knows, maybe he's the next Urban.

I wouldn't even consider your examples outliers, but there's always exceptions. I think my initial point is being missed. I think someone with strong recruiting ties in the Northeast is more important than settling in on a specific scheme. If they find a guy that can go into Ohio and New Jersey, etc who runs spread and can recruit great. Frost really worried me because he has zero ties to the Northeast.

Umm, Mike Leach is really lighting the world on fire at Washington State. Briles is a great recruiter, even when he was pulling in 3 stars he was getting guys into the NFL and finding diamonds in the rough. Also, lets be honest, there's so much talent to go around in Texas. Babers has done a great job, but it's a limited track record to this point. Who knows, maybe he's the next Urban.

I wouldn't even consider your examples outliers, but there's always exceptions. I think my initial point is being missed. I think someone with strong recruiting ties in the Northeast is more important than settling in on a specific scheme. If they find a guy that can go into Ohio and New Jersey, etc who runs spread and can recruit great. Frost really worried me because he has zero ties to the Northeast.

Washington State has the #22 total offense with the 2nd worst roster in the Pac 12 (only Oregon State is worse). What did you call it- making chicken salad from chicken sh-t?

As long as we keep thinking that modern offense is the exception, we are going to continue to be a punching bag. We aren't going to out meathead the other northeast meatheads in a league where southern schools dominate.

Lastly, Northeast recruiting sucks so why should it be more important than running a proven system?

"Frost really worried me because he has zero ties to the Northeast."

This was a concern many people here had with Frost I think too. He would have had to get Assistants with NE ties which I'm not sure he knew them. People obviously liked the idea of bringing the Chip Kelly offense or some version of it to the hill.

Cuse has money, they just historically never like to send big $'s on coaches. The good Dr, broke that mold some with the Olympic sports and they thrived but that's another discussion.

Last edited:
Washington State has the #22 total offense with the 2nd worst roster in the Pac 12 (only Oregon State is worse). What did you call it- making chicken salad from chicken sh-t?

As long as we keep thinking that modern offense is the exception, we are going to continue to be a punching bag. We aren't going to out meathead the other northeast meatheads in a league where southern schools dominate.

Lastly, Northeast recruiting sucks so why should it be more important than running a proven system?
This may be one of the greatest and most accurate posts ever written on this board.

You know why four verts works? It never has to do with a guy out-talenting a defender. It has to do with the fact that four verts guarantees an open receiver 90% of the time.

You know why four verts works? It never has to do with a guy out-talenting a defender. It has to do with the fact that four verts guarantees an open receiver 90% of the time.

That and current pass interference rules skew towards the offense. Chuck it up there with some air under it and let your guy come down with it or force the defender to PI all day long. The NFL realized this awhile ago.

You're backtracking.

And your initial point is not being missed. It's just ridiculous.

Ok, you need to stop.

In the same breath that you acknowledged that Oregon's offense got them to the championship game, heights we can't even dream of, you explain that the lesson you took from that is that their problem was defense.

I started this thread because my standards were so low. Soooo low. All I wanted to see was us bring in a head coach that has a clue on offense and has had some success on offense. In an era of unprecedented offense in college football, at a program that plays in a stadium built for offense, that might be too much to ask.

That hurts. Utter hopelessness. I'm not even joking, if we're going to try to go the defense route again just cancel the Dome renovation and fold the football program. Why can't we try anything different? Why? We've perfected the shizstorm that is NE football and the lack of glory it brings. We can't even hope to deviate from that?

If Ash is the guy, you're telling me now my hope has to be that he brings in an OC that is the difference maker I hoped the HC would be. That has to be my hope? That's ridiculous.

It isn't even fun anymore seeing people embrace meathead. So please, don't hijack my thread anymore by talking about CODDAMN MOTHER EFFIN' UCONN AND THEIR ABILITY TO WHITE KNUCKLE THEIR WAY TO BOWLS WITH ROCK FIGHT VICTORIES AND TELL ME THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD ASPIRE TO. You have no right.

Coyle, hire for offense and all is forgiven.
Dude. You need to chill bro. Wow.

Scheme is EVERYTHING when you don't have the talent. Nothing I said proved your point. Nothing. I'm glad you're done. I can't handle these kinds of conversations anymore. I've spent years on this board trying to help people understand, and so many have caught on, and yet other people still fight it.

There is unprecedented scoring in college football, and there's a simple explanation as to why. But let's keep ignoring it.
Yea they are really lighting up scoreboards in the Big 10 and SEC.

Can Blood Orange point out a college defense that is actually, truly dominant? As far as I'm aware one of those hasn't truly existed since the peak USC years. The best college defenses year by year still aren't great. And the ones that are good, most that populate the Top 10? Populated by stud blue chip recruits. Teams like BC get in the Top 10 mostly because the teams they played were pretty garbage.
Total Defense this year. As per NCAA.com. Bama is 2 this year. Clemson 7. Ohio St is 10. Heck Baylor is 30 spots ahead of SU in Defense. As is TCU. Houston is in the 50's. Cuse was 99. And BC basically played the same schedule as SU this year.

Blood Orange said:
Total Defense this year. As per NCAA.com. Bama is 2 this year. Clemson 7. Ohio St is 10. Heck Baylor is 30 spots ahead of SU in Defense. As is TCU. Houston is in the 50's. Cuse was 99. And BC basically played the same schedule as SU this year.

BC played two FCS teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom