Home from San Jose | Syracusefan.com

Home from San Jose

cto

Administrator
Since everyone who watched the games on tv saw them better than I did, this post will be about some "off-the-court" parts of the trip.

1) The NCAA, in an odd money-grubbing effort, added two rows behind the team benches (without risers), took them away from the teams (who are supposed to get the seats behind their bench)... and sold them to the highest bidders. As a result, the folks in them were not normal fans of the teams. Or, in some cases, not normal people. Don't know whether this was visible on tv during the Montana game, but some incredibly obnoxious over-weight women wearing orange snuck into the seats directly behind the SU bench at halftime (after the people who had bought them had left). One of them was literally falling out of both her jeans and her four-sizes-too-small tank top. And she stood up and loudly yelled absurdities at the SU team while shaking all her body parts -- thereby both annoying the SU team and blocking the view of those who had actual SU seats behind her. People who know me, consider me a pretty nice person, but it finally became intolerable... so I loudly shouted to her: "I hope you're proud to be embarrassing both yourself and Syracuse by being a slut on national TV." Amazingly, she stopped her performance. And she was no where around for the the Cal game two nights later. (And everyone near me congratulated me for my uncharacteristic behavior).

2) When we reached 74 points in the Montana game, many SU fans started chanting "Tacos!" I am sure no non-SU fans knew what it meant, but it was funny.

3) While walking to the arena for the Cal game with VA Orange and another friend, we struck up a conversation with some random guys (in SU shirts) walking near us. In response to some random question, I said I was from Connecticut. The guy stopped in his tracks... and said: "Are you cto?" Turned out he is a long time lurker on the board who rarely posts... but he meets a random woman from Connecticut... and decides it was me. In the middle of San Jose! Anyhow, I thought it was funny. And I hope he reads this.

4) SU shared a hotel (hotels are assigned by the NCAA) with St. Louis. The St Louis fans, band members, support staff, etc... were all really nice people. I felt badly that they lost to Oregon.

5) I am sure this has been commented on all weekend (I was not able to read the board), but it was really absurd that a four-seed was sent 3000 miles to play what was essentially a home game for a 12-seed (Cal). We thought it would be pretty raucous, but the Cal fans were amazingly quiet until the Golden Bears made their run in the final few minutes. Then they became seriously LOUD. Given what has happened to the West bracket, maybe we just should have been placed out there for the entire tourney. What an odd regional that is going to be.

6) San Jose was a much better place than I thought it would be. A pleasant city, good restaurants and easy driving distance to a lot of great places. During the day on Thursday and Friday, VA Orange and I went to the 17-mile drive, Carmel, Monterey and Pebble Beach. I actually got sunburned while having lunch overlooking the 18th green at Pebble Beach. After having seen nothing but cold and snow for nearly six months, the sunburn felt good.

7) After Florida Gulf Coast beat Georgetown, I was chatting with Adrian Autry. He said he was not the least bit surprised by their success When he was an assistant at Virginia Tech, he said FGCU recruited against Virginia Tech for a lot of players... including their current stars.

8) Silly story of the weekend. On Saturday afternoon, while Adrian and I were chatting about Florida Gulf Coast in the hotel lobby, Tim O'Toole comes up to us and says: "I have to buy a shirt for tonight. Where can I buy a shirt?" (Turns out Tim has been on the road since before the Big East tourney and had literally run out of shirts). Adrian says there's a Nordstrom's in a mall down the road, so the three of us get in my rental car and drive there. We go into the men's department, Tim picks up the first white shirt he sees and says he will buy it. Adrian suggests it might be too small, and I say "Aren't you going to try it on?" Tim shakes his head and says no. We convince him to try it on. Of course, it was too small, so he buys a larger one. Meanwhile, not knowing what else to do in the men's department, I find a spiffy subtle orange-striped tie for Tim. I hope it was visible on tv. It is really a great tie. (My contribution to the win).

9) Second silly story of the weekend. Getting off the plane at JFK tonight, I run into my next door neighbor -- who was on the same plane (unknown to each other). We both had car-service cars there. So we wind up riding from the same place... to the same place... in two separate cars ... paying two separate full-fares. Hey, if that was the worst thing that happened all weekend... it was a pretty good weekend.

10) ON TO DC!

Good stories, thanks. I just finished up a masters degree in Monterey. Its a nice area for sure.

Cool stories! I think we brought a lot of fans all things considered so good job everyone! 2k of us at least on Saturday.

I got a sunburn too before the Cal game because I went skiing on the way down from Reno :). Not too bad a day getting in 8 or 9 runs in Tahoe and seeing your team go to the Sweet 16.

Got lucky and was able to trade/sell my bad seats to scalpers outside and buy good lower levels for all 3 sessions which is nice. Fingers crossed I can avoid the upper level in DC where my tix are now.

Pretty long 4 hour haul each way to and from Reno both nights. Nice arena but I doubt I'd drive that far for a Sharks game in the future.

My only story of note was meeting Montana's starting guard Jordan Gregory's dad walking back from a convenience store between the sessions Thursday. Felt bad for Montana to be honest. That and almost getting in a fight both halves with Cal fans when I was standing and clapping before the first fg.

Lots of traveling between now and Thursday but excited so GO ORANGE!

32612839.jpg

Since all you guys who watched the games on tv saw them better than I did, this post will be about some non-game aspects of the trip.

1) The NCAA, in an odd money-grubbing effort, added two rows behind the team benches (without risers), took them away from the teams (who are supposed to get the seats behind their bench)... and sold them to the highest bidders. As a result, the folks in them were not normal fans of the teams. Or, in some cases, not normal people. Don't know whether this was visible on tv during the Montana game, but some incredibly obnoxious over-weight women wearing orange snuck into the seats directly behind the SU bench during the second half (after the people who had bought them had left). One of them was literally falling out of both her jeans and her four-sizes-too-small tank top. And she stood up and loudly yelled absurdities at the SU team while shaking all her body parts -- thereby both annoying the SU team and blocking the view of those who had actual SU seats behind her. People who know me, know I am a pretty nice person, but it finally became intolerable... so I loudly shouted to her: "I hope you're proud to be a slut on national TV." Amazingly, she stopped her performance. And she was no where around for the the Cal game two nights later. (And everyone near me congratulated me for my uncharacteristic behavior).

2) When we reached 74 points in the Montana game, many SU fans there started chanting "Tacos!" I am sure no non-SU fans realized what it was about, but it was funny.

3) While walking to the arena for the Cal game with two friends, we struck up a conversation with some random guys (in SU shirts) walking near us. In response to some random question, I said I was from Connecticut. The guy stopped in his tracks... and said: "Are you cto?" Turned out he is a long time lurker on the board who rarely posts... but he meets a random woman from Connecticut... and decides it was me. In the middle of San Jose. Anyhow, I thought it was funny. And I hope he reads this.

4) SU shared a hotel (hotels are assigned by the NCAA) with St. Louis. The St Louis fans, band members, support staff, etc... were all really nice people. I felt badly that they lost to Oregon.

5) I am sure this has been commented on all weekend (I was not able to read the board), but it was really absurd that a four-seed was sent 3000 miles to play what was essentially a home game for a 12-seed (Cal). We thought it would be pretty raucous, but the Cal fans were amazingly quiet until the Golden Bears made their run in the final few minutes. Then they became seriously LOUD. Given what has happened to the West brackets, maybe we just should have been placed out there for the entire tourney. What an odd regional that is going to be.

6) San Jose was a much better place than I thought it would be. A pleasant city, good restaurants and easy driving distance to a lot of great places. During the day on Thursday and Friday, VA Orange and I went to the 17-mile drive, Carmel, Monterey and Pebble Beach. I actually got sunburned while having lunch overlooking the 18th green at Pebble Beach. After having seen nothing but cold and snow for nearly six months, the sunburn felt good.

7) After Florida Gulf Coast beat Georgetown, I was chatting with Adrian Autry. He said he was not the least bit surprised by their success When he was an assistant at Virginia Tech, he said they recruited against them for a lot of players... including their current stars.

8) Silly story of the weekend. On Saturday afternoon, while Adrian and I were chatting about Florida Gulf Coast in the hotel lobby, Tim O'Toole comes up to Adrian and says: "I have to buy a shirt for tonight. Where can I buy a shirt?" (Turns out Tim has been on the road since before the Big East tourney and had literally run out of shirts). Adrian says there's a Nordstrom's in a mall town the road, so the three of us get into my rental car and drive there. We go into the men's department, Tim picks up the first white shirt he sees and says he will buy it. Adrian suggests it might be too small, and I say "Aren't you going to try it on?" Tim shakes his head and says no. We convince him to try it on. Of course, it was too small, so he buys a larger one. Meanwhile, not knowing what else to do in the men's department, I find a spiffy subtle orange-striped tie for him. I hope you noticed it on tv. It is really a great tie. (My contribution to the win).

9) Second silly story of the weekend. Getting off the plane at JFK tonight, I run into my next door neighbor -- who was on the same plane (unknown to each other). We both had car service cars there. So we wind up driving from the same place... to the same place... in two separate cars. Hey, if that was the worst thing that happened all weekend... it was a pretty good weekend.

10) ONTO DC!

VA Orange and I went to the 17-mile drive, Carmel, Monterey and Pebble Beach. I actually got sunburned while having lunch overlooking the 18th green at Pebble Beach. After having seen nothing but cold and snow for nearly six months, the sunburn felt good.

The cost to fly to San Jose from Syracuse was prohibitive, but reading this and knowing how the games ended up, I now know I made a bad mistake not going there. Rats!

Nice report. See you guys in DC.

did your car services race home? who won??

it also wouldve been a good time to test out the 'which route is better?' conundrum.

when you yelled at the seat highjackers, was it a 4th glass of pinot noir yell?? or an 8th?? just trying to further paint that picture...

:cool:

Great report, Joyce. #2 and #3 made me laugh. Love the Taco chant.

CTO, I have missed your posts! But you made up for it with this one. I am sure that woman was absolutely beyond human endurance, or you never would have yelled what you did. It put me in mind of the Queen of England leaning out of her horse-drawn carriage and trying to claw the eyes out of a person jogging alongside hurling epithets at the Crown. Or perhaps the Pope, Himself, mitre-bashing in the head a low life who was catcalling him during his Sacred Address. I'll stop at just two of the delightful visions your post conjured up for me. Thanks, bunches!

Great recap. Hopefully, you have a few weeks of stories from the upcoming games to tell.

Go Cuse!

As always, a great story cto...thanks!

Since everyone who watched the games on tv saw them better than I did, this post will be about some "off-the-court" parts of the trip.

1) The NCAA, in an odd money-grubbing effort, added two rows behind the team benches (without risers), took them away from the teams (who are supposed to get the seats behind their bench)... and sold them to the highest bidders. As a result, the folks in them were not normal fans of the teams. Or, in some cases, not normal people. Don't know whether this was visible on tv during the Montana game, but some incredibly obnoxious over-weight women wearing orange snuck into the seats directly behind the SU bench at halftime (after the people who had bought them had left). One of them was literally falling out of both her jeans and her four-sizes-too-small tank top. And she stood up and loudly yelled absurdities at the SU team while shaking all her body parts -- thereby both annoying the SU team and blocking the view of those who had actual SU seats behind her. People who know me, consider me a pretty nice person, but it finally became intolerable... so I loudly shouted to her: "I hope you're proud to be embarrassing both yourself and Syracuse by being a slut on national TV." Amazingly, she stopped her performance. And she was no where around for the the Cal game two nights later. (And everyone near me congratulated me for my uncharacteristic behavior).

2) When we reached 74 points in the Montana game, many SU fans there started chanting "Tacos!" I am sure no non-SU fans realized what it was about, but it was funny.

3) While walking to the arena for the Cal game with VA Orange and another friend, we struck up a conversation with some random guys (in SU shirts) walking near us. In response to some random question, I said I was from Connecticut. The guy stopped in his tracks... and said: "Are you cto?" Turned out he is a long time lurker on the board who rarely posts... but he meets a random woman from Connecticut... and decides it was me. In the middle of San Jose. Anyhow, I thought it was funny. And I hope he reads this.

5) I am sure this has been commented on all weekend (I was not able to read the board), but it was really absurd that a four-seed was sent 3000 miles to play what was essentially a home game for a 12-seed (Cal). We thought it would be pretty raucous, but the Cal fans were amazingly quiet until the Golden Bears made their run in the final few minutes. Then they became seriously LOUD. Given what has happened to the West bracket, maybe we just should have been placed out there for the entire tourney. What an odd regional that is going to be.

7) After Florida Gulf Coast beat Georgetown, I was chatting with Adrian Autry. He said he was not the least bit surprised by their success When he was an assistant at Virginia Tech, he said FGCU recruited against Virginia Tech for a lot of players... including their current stars.

8) Silly story of the weekend. On Saturday afternoon, while Adrian and I were chatting about Florida Gulf Coast in the hotel lobby, Tim O'Toole comes up to us and says: "I have to buy a shirt for tonight. Where can I buy a shirt?" (Turns out Tim has been on the road since before the Big East tourney and had literally run out of shirts). Adrian says there's a Nordstrom's in a mall town the road, so the three of us get in my rental car and drive there. We go into the men's department, Tim picks up the first white shirt he sees and says he will buy it. Adrian suggests it might be too small, and I say "Aren't you going to try it on?" Tim shakes his head and says no. We convince him to try it on. Of course, it was too small, so he buys a larger one. Meanwhile, not knowing what else to do in the men's department, I find a spiffy subtle orange-striped tie for him. I hope it was visible on tv. It is really a great tie. (My contribution to the win).

9) Second silly story of the weekend. Getting off the plane at JFK tonight, I run into my next door neighbor -- who was on the same plane (unknown to each other). We both had car-service cars there. So we wind up riding from the same place... to the same place... in two separate cars ... paying two separate full-fares. Hey, if that was the worst thing that happened all weekend... it was a pretty good weekend.

10) ONTO DC!

Odd to read that you thought you might not enjoy San Jose, which as you discovered, has a lot to offer aside from the weather. New York City it's not but what is? Perhaps you should have searched out a local tour guide to show you around?

Somewhere in CT some Boneyard Posters are getting more even more butthurt over CTO.

great stories CTO!

3) While walking to the arena for the Cal game with VA Orange and another friend, we struck up a conversation with some random guys (in SU shirts) walking near us. In response to some random question, I said I was from Connecticut. The guy stopped in his tracks... and said: "Are you cto?" Turned out he is a long time lurker on the board who rarely posts... but he meets a random woman from Connecticut... and decides it was me. In the middle of San Jose. Anyhow, I thought it was funny. And I hope he reads this.

That guy must live in a closet somewhere (or maybe you need a new PR director). He had to ASK if you were cto ?? He probably would not recognize Oprah either.

I will stop acting like that behind the SU bench. I'm sorry.

HMMMM, who really has the more interesting experiences???

A) Joyce hanging with JB, sitting practically on the bench diagramming plays, hanging with Sherm, DC, flying the team plane, etc or

B) Me: Begging to get through a few games a year without kids running by me with loud corn popper vacuum cleaners, running downstairs complaining that the other one is hitting the other, jerks calling me from work, even though I'm in my own game watching area and have an out of office on, etc...

It's a tough call.

Great stories. I actually had a post asking if anyone had heard from you. I was worried that there was not a peep from you the whole trip. I didn't notice the fat lady singing behind the bench. The running score that CBS has on the top of the screen hits right in that area. I know because I tried to look for you. You see the players and then several rows are covered up by the running scores of the other games. But that is so obnoxious. I would have asked security to have her removed, as she obviously would not have been able to show a ticket for those seats. Mostly because of how she was annoying the team. That is just wrong.

Before my son went to USC, we also looked at UCal Santa Cruz. We spent one night in San Jose, and then drove down to the coast. and spent 2 nights in Santa Cruz. The coast is spectacular, but also the drive down was just as beautiful. Glad you got to do that. Sounds like a great trip.

And now, I guess you are back in the winter weather from what I am hearing... That groundhog really got it wrong this time around.

HMMMM, who really has the more interesting experiences???

A) Joyce hanging with JB, sitting practically on the bench diagramming plays, hanging with Sherm, DC, flying the team plane, etc or

B) Me: Begging to get through a few games a year without kids running by me with loud corn popper vacuum cleaners, running downstairs complaining that the other one is hitting the other, jerks calling me from work, even though I'm in my own game watching area and have an out of office on, etc...

It's a tough call.
I know. I apologize for having such sad first-world problems. That is why I try to find humor in them.:)

San Jose chamber of commerce came out with a new slogan, "garlic country is for sluts"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom