Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Think Hop might survive. If they were going to make a move, I think it would have been made by now.
I hope you’re right. Huge buyout is a problem for Washington.

Let’s face it - it’s Washington. They’re a mediocre b-ball school that occasionally pops with a big year.

They’ve got a great guy and representative and role model for their student athletes….they’re not going to win consistently no matter who is coaching them. Might as well stick.

Let’s face it - it’s Washington. They’re a mediocre b-ball school that occasionally pops with a big year.

They’ve got a great guy and representative and role model for their student athletes….they’re not going to win consistently no matter who is coaching them. Might as well stick.
The mediocre part is right but not sure about the big year. Is a sweet 16 a big year? Hop has the 2nd best season in their history.

The mediocre part is right but not sure about the big year. Is a sweet 16 a big year? Hop has the 2nd best season in their history.
Wow, didn’t even realize it was that bad. I had Brandon Roy and I. Thomas in mind, and just assumed they’d occasionally have a year or 2 like that in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. too.

That frosh guard they have is special. Could build with him.

Minus the "Washington" part those are my verbatim thoughts about Dino Babers.

Read Hoops Heist about a month ago. I always knew about the talent out there but that book made it clear there is no reason for Washington to not be consistently good.

Any thoughts on what happens to Washington football and basketball if they join the Big Ten?

I’d think those rumors play into keeping Hop - the uncertainty what conference you’ll be in would make attracting a new coach much harder. I’d think it would go from hard to effectively impossible to win in basketball at Washington if they do jump to the Big Ten, but base that on nothing more than completely uninformed gut feeling.

Any thoughts on what happens to Washington football and basketball if they join the Big Ten?

I’d think those rumors play into keeping Hop - the uncertainty what conference you’ll be in would make attracting a new coach much harder. I’d think it would go from hard to effectively impossible to win in basketball at Washington if they do jump to the Big Ten, but base that on nothing more than completely uninformed gut feeling.
That probably means they are going to the B1G for sure. Hop still has all his east coast recruiting connections and UW would be playing games in Pa, NJ and Md. The B1G just wants the Big12 to grab the 4 corners teams first so they can say it wasn't all their fault that the PAC collapsed.

Big 10 = huge money, long term stability, place in the future of college sports

Should this thread title now be changed to “it’s not” or just keep this thread going to next season which could also be Hop’s last year at Washington?

Big 10 = huge money, long term stability, place in the future of college sports

I mean…Vanderbilt is stable being in the SEC. They just aren’t ever any good.

That’s more the question - can Washington be good in the Big 10, or would they be sacrificing any shot at being good for the stability the Big Ten would provide. For a head coach, the stability the Big Ten provides doesn’t mean much if you can’t win there - which is what I think will happen.

I mean…Vanderbilt is stable being in the SEC. They just aren’t ever any good.

That’s more the question - can Washington be good in the Big 10, or would they be sacrificing any shot at being good for the stability the Big Ten would provide. For a head coach, the stability the Big Ten provides doesn’t mean much if you can’t win there - which is what I think will happen.
I would say anybody in the Big 10 or SEC can be good if they get the right staff in place

Congrats to Hop. Hope he can get it going next season. Maybe with a visit or two from JAB?
Playing the role of bad cop, but that's not nearly as effective from an assistant as it is from the HC.

I think their football program would be fine. They have a newer stadium, good facilities and. Average 66k per game or so. I have season tickets and it gets great attendance. They have a great tradition and probably the 2nd best program in the pac 12 after USC. Their basketball facility is not great and gets some fan support but they have never been consistently good. There is a good amount of talent in both Seattle and Portland but they always seem to go to Gonzaga, Arizona and blue bloods. There was a short stretch where to at convinced kids to stay and he was able to get them to a 1seed which is their best ever season though thru lost to Louisville in the sweet 16. Romar was a terrible coach and wasted multiple nba players after that.

Playing the role of bad cop, but that's not nearly as effective from an assistant as it is from the HC.
Does their practice facility even have a catwalk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom