Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Why so? It’s not like he wasn’t getting good players at Washington. His issue isn’t the talent he gets, it’s appears to be his coaching ability.

Edit: Whoops, I misread your last line and thought you were saying we have no evidence he wouldn’t be a better coach on the east coast. Sorry.
I am unclear why east coast basketball is different? He has had better rated classes than JB.

That would be his bosses job and again that is frustration. I have been told stuff I am not posting out of respect but it’s frustrating that performance doesn’t matter.
It does, but so does his history, his standing in the community and, according to many here, he still has the backing of many big dollar donors.
I am all for JB leaving and a someone who hasn’t been a SU coach getting the job. Mid 30s to 40s. Someone known to recruits and a line to big money people who want to help him with NIL.
I also want an aggressive defense and an aggressive, fast-paced offense.

It does, but so does his history, his standing in the community and, according to many here, he still has the backing of many big dollar donors.
I am all for JB leaving and a someone who hasn’t been a SU coach getting the job. Mid 30s to 40s. Someone known to recruits and a line to big money people who want to help him with NIL.
I also want an aggressive defense and an aggressive, fast-paced offense.
You're not asking for much. ;)

You're not asking for much. ;)
Well….wasn’t this fun? The carousel conjecture goes on and on and on. It will never stop, even after you have no JAB to point fingers at. What will happen after the brass ring is hired? Everything will begin again about the NEW hire. Threads with subjective opinions will be the repetitive norm.

What I’m surprised at is the “stones thrown” at ADJW. I am of the opinion that he’s done a very good job. But, because he hasn’t fired our HC he’s average, in one opinion.

Although I would like to see the basketball team enjoy more wins, I understand this is a very, young team. JB has tried different lineups with varied success. It takes time for them to gel and get accustomed to ACC play but people are very impatient and want wins now – especially SUMJF who seems to know everything about everything. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, things have to play themselves out. JB is going to leave when he leaves.

The football team was better than last year, went to a bowl and with the inventor of the 3-3-5 coming into the program as DC and our new OC running his idea of what Shrader and the offense should be doing, I think we’re going to be a good team. So I’m optimistic and happy with where the football program is going.

An aside:“Syracuse is one of only 4 schools that have won undisputed NCAA national championships (highest level) in football and basketball. Only Syracuse and Maryland have won NCs in football, basketball and men's soccer.” sutomcat

because he wouldn't bolt after a year or two like most people on our radar?

He had great recruiting ties on the East Coast. He's only been gone for 4 years. He could rekindle those ties, and if he could bring Jason Hart with him, that would be a very good staff. Not sure Hart would come back, but he played over 10 years in the NBA and knows a thing or two about playing good defense. I think we would ideally find a Philly / Baltimore / DC AAU guy to add to the staff, to get those pipelines flowing again. It's like we gave up recruiting DC, then NYC, then Baltimore, then New Jersey, and were left focusing on prep schools within a 4 hour drive or so in New England. That's a big part of why our recruiting has fallen off.

Well….wasn’t this fun? The carousel conjecture goes on and on and on. It will never stop, even after you have no JAB to point fingers at. What will happen after the brass ring is hired? Everything will begin again about the NEW hire. Threads with subjective opinions will be the repetitive norm.

What I’m surprised at is the “stones thrown” at ADJW. I am of the opinion that he’s done a very good job. But, because he hasn’t fired our HC he’s average, in one opinion.

Although I would like to see the basketball team enjoy more wins, I understand this is a very, young team. JB has tried different lineups with varied success. It takes time for them to gel and get accustomed to ACC play but people are very impatient and want wins now – especially SUMJF who seems to know everything about everything. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, things have to play themselves out. JB is going to leave when he leaves.

The football team was better than last year, went to a bowl and with the inventor of the 3-3-5 coming into the program as DC and our new OC running his idea of what Shrader and the offense should be doing, I think we’re going to be a good team. So I’m optimistic and happy with where the football program is going.

An aside:“Syracuse is one of only 4 schools that have won undisputed NCAA national championships (highest level) in football and basketball. Only Syracuse and Maryland have won NCs in football, basketball and men's soccer.” sutomcat

Oh, please BIll. We're know you're friends with JB, so hearing the negative stuff must hurt on a personal level. But he has outstayed his welcome by almost 10 years now, compared to when he should have honestly retired. We've been mediocre to bad for just about that long. It's undeniable.

Boo hoo hoo that it might be worse when JB leaves, and "we won't have him to kick around anymore". It's already worse NOW, that's the problem, and it's not getting any better under the current circumstances. We have literally zero recruits for next year.

Fannies in the seats are speaking to the university loud and clear. Everybody loved that the Boeheim Boys got to play for JB, and they were legitimately good players, and we were kind of a fun team, although we were too slow to guard the perimeter, we didn't use the bench, and when Jesse got hurt last February, we crashed and burned down the stretch.

It's over now. Time to clean house and start over. I really, truly hope this is the last year.

He had great recruiting ties on the East Coast. He's only been gone for 4 years. He could rekindle those ties, and if he could bring Jason Hart with him, that would be a very good staff. Not sure Hart would come back, but he played over 10 years in the NBA and knows a thing or two about playing good defense. I think we would ideally find a Philly / Baltimore / DC AAU guy to add to the staff, to get those pipelines flowing again. It's like we gave up recruiting DC, then NYC, then Baltimore, then New Jersey, and were left focusing on prep schools within a 4 hour drive or so in New England. That's a big part of why our recruiting has fallen off.
My only concern would be in-game Xs and Os. Not sure about Hart, but Hop hasn't been great on that front to say the least. Bring in someone like Phil Martelli at Michigan to address that, and we're really cooking w/ Hart's connections on the West Coast and Hop's connections on the East Coast.

When I said Hart and Hop would kill it here earlier in the thread, I meant Hart as HC and Hop as AC even though that's very unlikely. One can dream.

The silver lining around Hopkins leaving was that it gave everyone a chance to see what he could do at a high-major program. You can argue there's been some bad luck and UW isn't a great job, but I think everyone can agree that he hasn't impressed to the point where you'd feel comfortable giving him the keys.

Fact of the matter is Syracuse doesn't have a deep enough bench of "in the family" guys like UNC, Duke, Kansas or Arizona to keep their pool of Boeheim successors so narrow with any real hope of success. Does anyone seriously think Red, Griffin or GMac deserve the gig, given the last few years? Really.

Among guys with local ties I'd be absolutely thrilled with Nate Oats, but his buyout if he left after this season would be $10M, $7M if he left in 2024 (and he could re-up by then). Sean Miller may be more realistic financially, but I'd be happy with him too. Langel would be a leap of faith given his lack of high-major experience but he deserves a mention as well.

believe it or not many great college coaches did not play basketball at syracuse. most in fact.

The thing is... this day is going to come. Delaying that day is only creating a more imposing hill to climb for the next guy.

The problem with the argument "be careful what you wish for" etc. is that it ignores the inevitable. It's not a matter of If but of When. I guess the 'optimists' are dreaming of a scenario where JB coaches for a few more years and drills the current frosh into tournament winners as they mature. That sure would be a nice way to end a career. But, those people tend to be myopic and only look at the current situation: "they're so young" and not the downward hockeystick trendlines over the past 10 years. It's not about this year. JB is not becoming a better coach. "Experience" isn't the key. JB's "experience" is from a different era and he doesn't seem too invested in learning and committing effort to the new era.

Seriously, i cannot fathom wanting to retain a coach who doesn't do anything for half the practice, and half-asses it in recruiting, to boot. If we were winning at a high clip, maybe he skates on that. We're not. He shouldn't.

My only concern would be in-game Xs and Os. Not sure about Hart, but Hop hasn't been great on that front to say the least. Bring in someone like Phil Martelli at Michigan to address that, and we're really cooking w/ Hart's connections on the West Coast and Hop's connections on the East Coast.

When I said Hart and Hop would kill it here earlier in the thread, I meant Hart as HC and Hop as AC even though that's very unlikely. One can dream.

Well, that may be a legitimate concern. It's something that will help move the conversation forward. Jake was talking about the same kind of thing.

Oh, please BIll. We're know you're friends with JB, so hearing the negative stuff must hurt on a personal level. But he has outstayed his welcome by almost 10 years now, compared to when he should have honestly retired. We've been mediocre to bad for just about that long. It's undeniable.

Boo hoo hoo that it might be worse when JB leaves, and "we won't have him to kick around anymore". It's already worse NOW, that's the problem, and it's not getting any better under the current circumstances. We have literally zero recruits for next year.

Fannies in the seats are speaking to the university loud and clear. Everybody loved that the Boeheim Boys got to play for JB, and they were legitimately good players, and we were kind of a fun team, although we were too slow to guard the perimeter, we didn't use the bench, and when Jesse got hurt last February, we crashed and burned down the stretch.

It's over now. Time to clean house and start over. I really, truly hope this is the last year.
No, it really doesn't hurt Matt. It is time - it was time when Hopkins was ready to be HC. I've kept my mouth shut until now but we need a new coach in a hurry.

I am a friend but there's a reality to his situation. He says he wants to coach as long as he can teach and be effective as a coach. I didn't say anything to him but there was an opportunity clearly missed when Jim wanted to coach Buddy and Jimmy.

We would have been in a much better situation today if Jim had retired and watched Hop coach his sons, IMO.

It's really a shame he didn't. I didn't and won't say anything to him. Unfortunately this is going to have to play out and I have no idea when the last game for him will be.

Used to be we had top players waiting to come to SU to play for him zone or not and he had over twenty + wins every year. The NCAA bull hurt this program and him, some of it, like taking wins away, is ridiculous.

Now it is time but it's too late. He's always said freshmen need a year, unless you were a Pearl, Douglas or Carmelo. And look what we have, a bench full of freshman that aren't going to help us in
the upcoming ACC stretch, hell it's an entire new team aside from Girard, Edwards and Benny. I know he's doing the best he can but I don't think he has a team that will even come close to last year's record.

It's a slap in the face for him, he's been a helluva coach. I haven't gone to our records for attendance but I read enough in the box score to see we're down. Instead of 20,000+ for home games it's 17,000. And, I can see more on television than sitting in a JMA Dome seat.

Things have to change but I, even being a friend, have no idea when it will.

The new coach? You better open it up nationally and get someone in here who's great at recruiting and has a proven track record for wins. I bet once it's open there will be many resumes coming into Wildhack's office. Syracuse is still considered an elite program and it's time to be that with a HC who can bring this program back to national relevance.

Who is that coach? Bringing in Pitino*? I doubt they'd even interview him with what happened with his program. Hopkins**, if he came back, could be an option. But, I think we really need to get fresh blood. Someone who sees this school and program for where it is, has been, and take it there and keep it where Jim had it and even better. I have no idea who that coach might be.

There have been many suggestions made here but I have been immersed in SU BB under Jim and haven't really looked for the coach who is going to make this program great again. Someone should and the sooner the better, before we are not considered elite anymore.

*Edit: My opinion though, is that he is also a winner. I don't know how his past will follow him if he looks for another job.

** I believe if Mike came back with JB's blessings he would change our future positively. I think he really wanted this job and it may be mentally a great thing for him to finally be the HC at Syracuse - it's a crap shoot with both.

Last edited:
And had a losing record en route to a LAST PLACE Pac-12 finish that year. BFD.
They started 10-2 with a lot of great wins then lost their point guard and had literally nobody backing up the position.

The silver lining around Hopkins leaving was that it gave everyone a chance to see what he could do at a high-major program. You can argue there's been some bad luck and UW isn't a great job, but I think everyone can agree that he hasn't impressed to the point where you'd feel comfortable giving him the keys.

Fact of the matter is Syracuse doesn't have a deep enough bench of "in the family" guys like UNC, Duke, Kansas or Arizona to keep their pool of Boeheim successors so narrow with any real hope of success. Does anyone seriously think Red, Griffin or GMac deserve the gig, given the last few years? Really.

Among guys with local ties I'd be absolutely thrilled with Nate Oats, but his buyout if he left after this season would be $10M, $7M if he left in 2024 (and he could re-up by then). Sean Miller may be more realistic financially, but I'd be happy with him too. Langel would be a leap of faith given his lack of high-major experience but he deserves a mention as well.
You're batting .500. UNC and Duke certainly went to their benches for their current coaches (and UNC hired Tar Heels the last 4 times the job opened). On the other hand, Kansas with Self, Roy Williams, and Larry Brown; and Arizona, with Tommy Lloyd and Sean Miller, went outside to fill their jobs.

You're batting .500. UNC and Duke certainly went to their benches for their current coaches (and UNC hired Tar Heels the last 4 times the job opened). On the other hand, Kansas with Self, Roy Williams, and Larry Brown; and Arizona, with Tommy Lloyd and Sean Miller, went outside to fill their jobs.
Self was a Kansas assistant under Brown.

They started 10-2 with a lot of great wins then lost their point guard and had literally nobody backing up the position.

That's bad coaching, too, to be in that position.

Self was a Kansas assistant under Brown.
He played at Okie St, and was HC at Tulsa and Illinois. I don't think he qualifies as a "Kansas man". (Besides which, it was the Brown coaching staff that got KU put on probation.)

Sure you need to have depth, same reason we didn’t win a title in 10 or 12.

Number one, depth is about the 1,769th reason why we didn't win the title in 2012. That team was loaded, deep, and had positional flexibility.

Number two, the excuses are beginning to pile up. Fact is, he came in last place after a 10-2 start, which makes it an even bigger flameout relatively.

Well, that may be a legitimate concern. It's something that will help move the conversation forward. Jake was talking about the same kind of thing.
This was done in 2020 so I do not have records from then to now or know if they are still HC in waiting or available. I was considering Danny Manning, (all - time best scorer with Kansas), then
looked at his record with Wake as head coach and his record is not that good - maybe great player not that good as a coach. Capt Tuttle here's your 40 year olds you wanted.

(edit): I realize we are looking for a coach who is already a successful HC but may be swayed by the Syracuse brand and want to consider a move. I posted the assistants as a starting point.

Some names to consider:

40 Under 40: We rank the best young coaches in men's college basketball

May 13, 2020

Multiple Contributors

Although the college basketball coaching landscape continues to be dominated by legendary and established names including Mike Krzyzewski (age 74), Jim Boeheim (76), Roy Williams (70) and others, the game also features an abundance of talented young coaches who've collectively made their marks in the early stages of their careers. At ESPN, we hope to recognize some of those rising stars of coaching's next generation with our "40 Under 40" list.

EDITOR'S PICKS

3yJeff Borzello

ESPN college basketball writers Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello and John Gasaway began this project with a long list of candidates culled from all 32 Division I conferences, before debating, revising and finalizing our list of the top 40 coaches and assistant coaches in college basketball who were under 40 years old as of April 30, 2020. The final list, which attempts to rank coaches according to both achievements and potential, features a diverse collection of elite young coaches who could secure some of the top jobs in the sport in the coming years.

1. Wes Miller, UNC Greensboro (age: 37)

Three years after playing on a North Carolina team that captured the 2005 national title, Miller started his coaching career as an assistant at Elon in his mid-20s, and the No. 1 coach on our list hasn't looked back. After accepting the head-coaching job at UNC Greensboro as a 27-year-old, Miller emerged as one of the top young coaches in college basketball. Since the start of the 2016-17 season, Miller has amassed 104 wins in a stretch that includes the program's first NCAA tournament appearance in 17 years (2018). -- Myron Medcalf

Will the timing be right for former Tar Heel Wes Miller to take over in Chapel Hill? John Byrum/Icon Sportswire

2. Travis Steele, Xavier (38)

At the tender age of 38, Steele already has two full seasons under his belt as head coach at a program that has launched everyone from Skip Prosser and Thad Matta to Sean Miller and Chris Mack. Who knows, the Musketeers might have made the tournament in 2020. Either way, the future's bright in Cincinnati. -- John Gasaway

Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports

3. Will Wade, LSU (37)

In terms of pure on-court coaching and recruiting abilities, Wade would be No. 1 on this list and it wouldn't be particularly close. He won 40 games in two seasons at Chattanooga, went to the NCAA tournament both seasons at VCU and then won the SEC regular-season title his second season at LSU. But there have been issues. He was heard on an FBI wiretap discussing the recruitment of a player and was suspended for a month as a result. -- Jeff Borzello

Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

4. Mike Boynton, Oklahoma State (38)

Signing Cade Cunningham (his brother, Cannen, is an Oklahoma State assistant), the No. 2 prospect in the 2020 recruiting class per ESPN, has elevated Boynton's profile entering the 2020-21 season. Now the rising star who made stops at Furman, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, South Carolina and Stephen F. Austin before his stint at OSU has a chance to capitalize on that momentum and secure his first trip to the NCAA tournament. -- Myron Medcalf

Rob Ferguson-USA TODAY Sports

5. Bob Richey, Furman (37)

Not that the Southern Conference is tough or anything, but Richey has a career record of 41-13 in the league and has yet to guide the Paladins to the NCAA tournament. How can that be? See No. 1 on this list, above, and keep in mind that Wofford was undefeated in the SoCon last season. One of these years, though, the Dins will be in. -- John Gasaway

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

6. Richard Pitino, Minnesota (37)

Being named a high-major head coach at 30 years old is an achievement in itself, which outweighs some of the struggles Pitino has had during his seven-year stint with the Golden Gophers. He has been to two NCAA tournaments, and he won 18 games his lone season at FIU. Got his first college coaching job at 22 years old. -- Jeff Borzello

Quinn Harris-USA TODAY Sports

7. Andy Toole, Robert Morris (39)

He's widely recognized as the young coach who led Robert Morris to a win over Kentucky during the opening round of the NIT in 2013, but he also has recorded seven winning seasons over 10 years at the school. He led his team to its second NEC tournament title in March and enhanced his standing as a candidate for bigger jobs. -- Myron Medcalf

Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

8. Jordan Mincy, Florida assistant (33)

This whole staff in Gainesville is youthful. Fellow UF assistant Darris Nichols (see below) is 34, and head coach Mike White ("the old man") clocks in at 43. Mincy's name has come up in head-coaching searches after previous stops as an assistant at Louisiana Tech, Toledo, College of Charleston and his alma mater, Kent State. -- John Gasaway

Tim Casey / provided by UF athletics

9. Jon Scheyer, Duke assistant (32)

After winning a national championship with the Blue Devils, Scheyer played overseas for a couple of seasons and then went back to Durham to join Mike Krzyzewski's staff. He has developed as a recruiter and has played a key role in Duke's highly ranked recruiting classes. The next in line to reach head coach from the Krzyzewski coaching tree. -- Jeff Borzello

Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

10. Luke Murray, Louisville assistant (35)

It's only a matter of time before Murray is the head coach of a high-major program after working with Sean Miller, Dan Hurley, Towson's Pat Skerry and now Chris Mack as one of the most impressive assistants on this list. He was instrumental in the assembly of Louisville's 2019 recruiting class, ranked 10th by ESPN. -- Myron Medcalf

AP Photo/Lynne Sladky

11. Shantay Legans, Eastern Washington (38)

The reigning Big Sky coach of the year led his team to a breakthrough season in 2020, posting a 16-4 record in conference play and winning the regular-season title. Before taking the job with the Eagles in 2017, Legans served as an assistant in Cheney for eight years. -- John Gasaway

Jesse Beals/Icon Sportswire

12. Brian Michaelson, Gonzaga assistant (38)

Has been in the Gonzaga family since 2000, when he joined the basketball team as a walk-on. He returned to Mark Few's program in 2008 and eventually became an assistant coach under Few in 2013. Michaelson has quietly been a key part of the Bulldogs' recruiting success over the past several seasons, and he led the charge for 2020 guard Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga's highest-ranked recruit ever. -- Jeff Borzello

Robert Johnson/Icon Sportswire

13. Ulric Maligi, Texas Tech assistant (35)

The Howard University product has identified and recruited some of the most talented players in the state of Texas and beyond, as proved by successful tenures as an assistant with Texas A&M, SMU and Stephen F. Austin before joining Chris Beard's staff before last season. By all accounts, Maligi possesses the attributes and leadership qualities necessary to one day guide a Power 5 program. -- Myron Medcalf

courtesy of Texas Tech athletics

14. Jamion Christian, George Washington (38)

Christian landed his first head-coaching job at the age of 29 at Mount St. Mary's, his alma mater. After a one-year stop at Siena, he took the helm at GW in March 2019. The Colonials are seeking their first NCAA bid since 2014. -- John Gasaway

Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire

15. Todd Golden, San Francisco (34)

Golden has been a head coach for just one season, but he guided the Dons to a 22-12 record and a 9-7 WCC record. He succeeded Kyle Smith, for whom he was an assistant coach at Columbia and at San Francisco. Also spent a couple of seasons at Auburn under Bruce Pearl. -- Jeff Borzello

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

16. Richie Riley, South Alabama (37)

He has finished .500 or better in back-to-back seasons, a feat previously achieved just once in the past decade at South Alabama, which was positioned to vie for a spot in the NCAA tournament as the No. 2 seed in the Sun Belt Conference tournament. The former Clemson assistant has recorded 20-win seasons with two Division I programs (Nicholls State, South Alabama) -- Myron Medcalf

Frank Mattia/Icon Sportswire

17. Eran Ganot, Hawai'i (38)

Though he still qualifies for "under 40" lists, Ganot has been in charge in Honolulu since April 9, 2015. The Rainbow Warriors memorably knocked off a Cal team with one-and-done star Jaylen Brown in the 2016 round of 64. -- John Gasaway

AP Photo/Young Kwak

18. Darris Nichols, Florida assistant (34)

Nichols has steadily worked his way up the Division I coaching ladder, starting at Northern Kentucky and Wofford and then joining Mike White's staff at Louisiana Tech before following him to Florida. Nichols has been effective on the recruiting trail, including being the lead recruiter for five-star wing Scottie Lewis in 2019. -- Jeff Borzello

Alex de la Osa / provided by Florida athletics

19. Amir Abdur-Rahim, Kennesaw State (39)

He's clearly in the throes of a massive rebuilding project after a one-win season. But Abdur-Rahim, who played a key role in signing Anthony Edwards as an assistant under Tom Crean at Georgia, has contributed to multiple successful programs, and, over time, he should reboot Kennesaw State's program too. -- Myron Medcalf

Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports

20. Jeremy Ballard, Florida International (38)

Ballard made a splash at KenPom.com as a rookie head coach in 2019 when his Panthers led Division I in adjusted tempo. FIU is 39-27 overall under Ballard, who arrived in Miami via a one-year stint as associate head coach at VCU. -- John Gasaway

Justin Cooper/Icon Sportswire

21. Jerrance Howard, Kansas assistant (39)

Howard has had a reputation as one of the nation's best recruiters dating back to his time at Illinois 2008-11. The Peoria native is well-connected in Chicago and the Midwest but also had success at SMU under Larry Brown. Bill Self, who coached Howard as a player at Illinois, hired him in 2013, and Howard has continued his recruiting prowess in Lawrence. -- Jeff Borzello

Matthew Visinsky/Icon Sportswire

22. Matt Abdelmassih, Nebraska assistant (35)

As Fred Hoiberg turned Iowa State into an elite program that attracted some of the best players in the country, Abdelmassih was the pivotal orchestrator behind the scenes. That's why he's back with Hoiberg at Nebraska (after a stint at St. John's), where he has the facilities and potential to rapidly upgrade the talent pipeline to Lincoln. -- Myron Medcalf

Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

23. Gerry McNamara, Syracuse assistant (36)

An assistant to Jim Boeheim since 2011, McNamara has been on staff for 213 wins and six trips to the NCAA tournament. Oldsters still talk about how his 19-of-40 3-point shooting over four close games led the Orange to the 2006 Big East tournament title. -- John Gasaway

Michael Tureski/Icon Sportswire

24. Austin Claunch, Nicholls State (30)

One of the youngest guys on this list, Claunch also is the youngest Division I head coach. A native of Argentina, Claunch didn't get a full-time assistant coach job until 2016 under Richie Riley at Nicholls. When Riley left for South Alabama, Claunch was promoted. Last season, Claunch and Nicholls went 21-10 overall and 15-5 in the Southland, finishing tied for second in the league. -- Jeff Borzello

Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

25. Joel Justus, Kentucky assistant (38)

When he first joined Kentucky's staff for the 2014-15 season, he was an analytics coach who put together detailed profiles of each player on the roster. Now, he's one of the nation's top assistant coaches and a rumored candidate for multiple jobs that could open in the coming year or two. -- Myron Medcalf

John Korduner/Icon Sportswire

26. Kim English, Tennessee assistant (31)

Already in five seasons as an assistant, English has made stops at Tulsa, Colorado and, now, Tennessee. As a player, he scored 20 points to lead Missouri past Clemson in the 2010 round of 64, the last NCAA tournament win recorded by Mizzou. -- John Gasaway

Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports

27. Jay McAuley, Wofford (36)

McAuley had big shoes to fill when Mike Young left for Virginia Tech last spring and he was promoted to the top spot. McAuley had plenty of experience in the Southern Conference, spending eight seasons as an assistant at Wofford and Furman, and reached the conference title game in his first season in charge. -- Jeff Borzello

David Allio/Icon Sportswire

28. Matt McCall, UMass (38)

It's fair to wonder if McCall is too low, considering his role as director of operations and an assistant for Florida teams that won a national title and reached the Final Four, respectively, before his 29- and 19-win seasons as the head coach at Chattanooga. He hasn't found the same mojo at UMass, where he has finished under .500 in three consecutive years. -- Myron Medcalf

M. Anthony Nesmith/Icon Sportswire

29. Christian Webster, Virginia Tech (29)

Webster was an assistant for three seasons to Buzz Williams in Blacksburg and then stayed put last season for the dawn of the Mike Young era. As a player in 2012, Webster was part of the first Harvard team to appear in the NCAA tournament in 66 years. -- John Gasaway

provided by Virginia Tech athletics

30. Joe Krabbenhoft, Wisconsin assistant (33)

A former Wisconsin forward, Krabbenhoft played professionally for a couple of seasons before returning to the Badgers as a video coordinator under Bo Ryan. He cut his teeth as an assistant coach at South Dakota State but was back in Madison under Greg Gard in 2016. Krabbenhoft is key in player development and is an active recruiter. -- Jeff Borzello

Mary Langenfeld/USA TODAY Sports

31. Ryan Ridder, Bethune-Cookman (35)

He has finished above .500 in two of three seasons at Bethune-Cookman. That's impressive for a coach who spends the first half of the season on the road in buy games against bigger programs and is rare in the MEAC. -- Myron Medcalf

Michael C. Johnson/USA TODAY Sports

32. Kyle Neptune, Villanova assistant (35)

Back in the aughts, Neptune scored almost 900 points over four seasons with Lehigh. Though his name has come up in connection with various head-coaching searches, he has stayed put on Jay Wright's staff for seven seasons. -- John Gasaway

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

33. Mike Morrell, UNC Asheville (37)

The Tennessee native worked his way up the coaching ranks, starting at then-NAIA King University in 2005. He eventually joined up in 2011 with Shaka Smart, whom Morrell knew from his time as a graduate assistant at Clemson. After following Smart to Texas and establishing himself as a high-level recruiter, Morrell got his first shot as a head coach at UNC Asheville. He oversaw an 11-game improvement from 2019 to 2020. -- Jeff Borzello

Ed Zurga/Getty Images

34. Ashley Howard, La Salle (39)

When you're endorsed by Chris Mack and Jay Wright, both of whom Howard has been an assistant under, you're probably doing something right. Howard won two national titles as an assistant at Villanova and continues to mold a La Salle program that finished 15-15 in his second season. -- Myron Medcalf

John Jones/Icon Sportswire

35. Dana Ford, Missouri State (35)

Ford just completed his second year as head coach of the Bears after a four-season run as the head man at Tennessee State. TSU improved from 5-25 the season before Ford arrived to 20-11 in just his second campaign. -- John Gasaway

AP Photo/Gary Landers

36. Baker Dunleavy, Quinnipiac (37)

Dunleavy ticks a lot of boxes as a potential coaching star. He's the son of former NBA coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. and spent 11 seasons playing and coaching under Jay Wright at Villanova. Dunleavy hasn't quite broken through with the Bobcats just yet. He's 43-51 through three seasons in the MAAC. -- Jeff Borzello

Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire

37. Ali Farokhmanesh, Colorado State assistant (32)

He'll always be recognized for his miraculous shot in Northern Iowa's win over Kansas in the 2010 NCAA tournament. But he has matured into a solid assistant who contributed to Colorado State's 20-win season this year. -- Myron Medcalf

Courtesy Colorado State

38. Jared Grasso, Bryant (turned 40 on May 11)

In 2020, the Bulldogs jumped about 100 spots in the KenPom rankings in Grasso's second season as head coach in Smithfield, Rhode Island. Before landing his first head-coaching gig, he served for eight years as an assistant at Iona. -- John Gasaway

Will Newton/Getty Images

39. John Andrzejek, Washington State assistant (27)

The youngest coach on this list, Andrzejek has been a Division I assistant coach for just two seasons, one at Dartmouth and one at Washington State. He's considered proficient in analytics and has experience recruiting high-academic players at Dartmouth and Johns Hopkins. -- Jeff Borzello

provided by Washington State athletics

40. Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois (33)

His profile and prospects were magnified when he served as the associate head coach under Porter Moser during Loyola Chicago's run to the Final Four in 2018. His first season as the head coach at Southern Illinois this season included a respectable 16-16 mark and a 10-8 record in Missouri Valley Conference play. -- Myron Medcalf

Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire

Just missed: Kevin Kruger (UNLV assistant); Chris Ogden (UT-Arlington); Chris Caputo (Miami assistant); Matt Lottich (Valparaiso); Greg Paulus, (Niagara); Adam Cohen (Stanford assistant); Bashir Mason (Wagner); Jamal Brunt (VCU assistant); Chester Frazier (Virginia Tech assistant), Bruce Shingler (South Carolina assistant), Jai Lucas (Texas assistant), Brandin Knight (Rutgers assistant), Grant Billmeier (Seton Hall assistant), Brian "Penny" Collins (Tennessee State); Drew Valentine (Loyola Chicago assistant)

Last edited:
Number one, depth is about the 1,769th reason why we didn't win the title in 2012. That team was loaded, deep, and had positional flexibility.

Number two, the excuses are beginning to pile up. Fact is, he came in last place after a 10-2 start, which makes it an even bigger flameout relatively.
You don’t think we win with Fab Melo in 2012?

UW is a major program on the West Coast in an area that produces talent. Hop has failed bigly. Duke doesn't have a deep bench of in the family guys. Capel has fallen flat on his face at Pitt and Scheyer was given the keys to the car in his first season. All he has to do is not crash. If you're taking on Sean Miller, you're accepting that SU will play dirty to get players here.

No, it really doesn't hurt Matt. It is time - it was time when Hopkins was ready to be HC. I've kept my mouth shut until now but we need a new coach in a hurry.

I am a friend but there's a reality to his situation. He says he wants to coach as long as he can teach and be effective as a coach. I didn't say anything to him but there was an opportunity clearly missed when Jim wanted to coach Buddy and Jimmy.

We would have been in a much better situation today if Jim had retired and watched Hop coach his sons, IMO.

It's really a shame he didn't. I didn't and won't say anything to him. Unfortunately this is going to have to play out and I have no idea when the last game for him will be.

Used to be we had top players waiting to come to SU to play for him zone or not and he had over twenty + wins every year. The NCAA bull hurt this program and him, some of it, like taking wins away, is ridiculous.

Now it is time but it's too late. He's always said freshmen need a year, unless you were a Pearl, Douglas or Carmelo. And look what we have, a bench full of freshman that aren't going to help us in
the upcoming ACC stretch, hell it's an entire new team aside from Girard, Edwards and Benny. I know he's doing the best he can but I don't think he has a team that will even come close to last year's record.

It's a slap in the face for him, he's been a helluva coach. I haven't gone to our records for attendance but I read enough in the box score to see we're down. Instead of 20,000+ for home games it's 17,000. And, I can see more on television than sitting in a JMA Dome seat.

Things have to change but I, even being a friend, have no idea when it will.

The new coach? You better open it up nationally and get someone in here who's great at recruiting and has a proven track record for wins. I bet once it's open there will be many resumes coming into Wildhack's office. Syracuse is still considered an elite program and it's time to be that with a HC who can bring this program back to national relevance.

Who is that coach? Bringing in Pitino? I doubt they'd even interview him with what happened with his program. Hopkins, if he came back, could be an option. But, I think we really need to get fresh blood. Someone who sees this school and program for where it is, has been, and take it there and keep it where Jim had it and even better. I have no idea who that coach might be.

There have been many suggestions made here but I have been immersed in SU BB under Jim and haven't really looked for the coach who is going to make this program great again. Someone should and the sooner the better, before we are not considered elite anymore.
Considering hops results at UW, I wouldn’t be surprised if Syracuse was in the same spot. I’m not sure being at Syracuse somehow makes him a better in-game coach.

The biggest issues Syracuse fans claim:

1) the zone is out dated - hop plays zone
2) they struggle to develop centers - he hasn’t developed a center
3) JB gets out coached in-game - hop has been getting severely out coached
4) recruiting is declining - he has recruited better so that could be a plus

Okay, so maybe Syracuse gets a few more 5 stars? that’s great but if you’re still missing the tournament you are are in the exact same place we see the program today but no JB to blame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom