Hopkins Gameday... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Gameday...

I’m sorry i was rooting for cook to finally do something this year but honestly he doesn’t help a lot. Try a young guy who can get experience and maby produce more. Cook also makes some poor turnovers at big moments. I was please with defense they played very well and think last goal that gave hop lead is on mark kinda. He went out to guy n jumped has he was falling down why not play stick to stick try stop shot or go body. Same young mistakes being made. We were up in gbs n faceoffs but seem not at end when matters most. Hope clary is ok but really liked dawn out there. Offense really hurt today. Birt don’t think even had goal.

I’d like to see us press out more on defense the way Hopkins pressed out on us making simple passes a bit of an adventure.

I only saw the last 12 minutes so can’t comment on anything before that but just not impressed at all with the 4th Q. Surprising to me we were even tied watching their mids abuse our shorties down low.

He can't call a timeout in either spot we weren't in the box
If I’m off on the rule then my bad. Thought for sure he could’ve called a TO when Finn had the ball. Didn’t Duke call a TO in front of their bench last week?

Hops goalie made some big saves but feel we shot a lot right at him with poor angles. Gonna be a really hard 5game stretch after these next 3 mid tier games. But without going 3 out of those last 5 don’t think any shot at post season. Also like fine at fo he seems to counter better then johnny if doesn’t win clamp. Grant does struggle with gbs when he does win. Also hope come none of faceoff guys we have had in last 10-15years not able to only win but push it to score or start fast break. Need an athletic Fogo. Like naso or petety someone who can win n score or pass. All our guys win and right away look to get rid of it n off like they can’t carry ball at all.

If I’m off on the rule then my bad. Thought for sure he could’ve called a TO when Finn had the ball. Didn’t Duke call a TO in front of their bench last week?

Duke did but they were already in the box. Finn was at the 50, you can't call TO

Birt was quite roha was no where and simmons needs to stop telegraphing his shots. Man up today was def big difference. If they score on 50% of man ups we win think they were 2-6 or 2-7? Defense again played very good. That last one where hop got lead is tough 2 shot clocks renewed then man down that they killed n then hop scores with only 5secobds left in shot clock. That is where i’d like to see petro throw a zone so someone can’t just make run to crease for shot or even draw penalty. If shot clock under 10seconds why not jump to zone so not only throws them off for few seconds but also limits any close inside or crease dive shots.

While the defense had some hiccups, this loss is on the offense just breaking down as the game went along. Ball didn't seem to move at points and just died in someones stick. Not sure what the plan was with how much they had Cook handling the ball, seems like he makes a good play and then follows it up with 2 or 3 bad ones. Bad shots by Birtwistle. Felt like Rhoa was invisible.

Fine did a decent job taking draws. Man down defense continues to perform well. Clearing along the sub box is puzzling and needs to be scrapped.

A step forward by the defense and a step back by the offense. Hofstra should be a win but I guess we'll see which team shows up.

Gait needs to start playing more these young guys on offense. Would like to see cordes or kempney or other guys we have that may be able to produce. Stop running cook out so much as he is mostly just ball carrier. He just doesn’t cause d to slide or threat to score and makes poor turnovers. I was really hoping he finally come out of his shell but sadly looks like he’s a dud. Sorry just super mad lost again when clearly had chance to win this game again.

Guess was bad sign when clary goes down at very start of game. Hope he is ok as def gonna need him. But dwan played very well. But totally agree this game is on offense no doubt. I also think last game or chance to win the game vs duke was on offense also. As seems they just can’t get goal when absolutely have to.

While the defense had some hiccups, this loss is on the offense just breaking down as the game went along. Ball didn't seem to move at points and just died in someones stick. Not sure what the plan was with how much they had Cook handling the ball, seems like he makes a good play and then follows it up with 2 or 3 bad ones. Bad shots by Birtwistle. Felt like Rhoa was invisible.

Fine did a decent job taking draws. Man down defense continues to perform well. Clearing along the sub box is puzzling and needs to be scrapped.

A step forward by the defense and a step back by the offense. Hofstra should be a win but I guess we'll see which team shows up.

Cooks played fairly well this year but that's been in limited spots and PT. No idea why he wqs handling the ball so much and or even why the 2nd line played so much, kind of baffling.

As someone else noted we really need to see Kempney or Cordes on that 2nd line get another shooter out there.

Main issue is turnovers and sloppy play. It's the albatross around this teams neck and directly responsible for the last 2 losses.

1. I'm adding that #51 referee to the list.

2. Too many turnovers at bad times.

3. Do we not fast break anymore? It seems that everytime we had numbers, we pulled it out to get the offense on the field.

man up 2-7. today n had two men up twice to which scored zero goals on after starting 1-1 on man up. Cuse continues to be their own worst enemy. Hate how them losing ruins my weekend lol. Been tough last 4 games. Really need some changes and switch things up on offense. Need play some more guys see what they can offer. Cook sadly isn’t offering much and kirst has been good but after first goal was bottled up. Simmons great feeder but has trouble scoring. I would of never thought we lost this game cause of offense or man up. I said it before and believe it’s truely owed but defense played very well. At times made poor slides but overall they played well. Hopefully win these next 3 games hopefully with ease and onto the real gauntlet.

1. I'm adding that #51 referee to the list.

2. Too many turnovers at bad times.

3. Do we not fast break anymore? It seems that everytime we had numbers, we pulled it out to get the offense on the field.
It’s the game in this day and age. It’s frustrating but it’s all about speacialties. Back in the day it was run and gun. The game has regressed

Here's a depressing stat.

Teams SU has beat are 3-15 this year.

Holy Cross is awful. I think Albany is decent but their schedule is absurd.

Offense was atrocious what happened to one more pass zero deception on their shots settling for low angle wing shots We haven’t run a fast break well since Donahue left. I haven’t seen March draw up a play to win a game that I can remember since maybe his first season. This team needs to be ultra efficient on offense like the days of Rice and Donahue given their face off and defensive woes

These clearing problems were the same thing Hopkins had problems with in Petros last season as HC

i do not see any dodging options on the orange offense which is why they look so much better on the EMO than in 6 on 6 because they don't need to dodge, can just skip-pass their merry way to goals but that doesnt work in even-strength sets. spallina has a bright future but he is overmatched against top defenseman right now. he can't beat them. kirst can beat a shortie but if you pole him as hopkins did after his first goal, he's not going to beat many poles with his lack of speed. really think hiltz needs to dodge more and the offense needs to move through him on the wing instead of through spallina at X. just a neutral observer's two cents

i do not see any dodging options on the orange offense which is why they look so much better on the EMO than in 6 on 6 because they don't need to dodge, can just skip-pass their merry way to goals but that doesnt work in even-strength sets. spallina has a bright future but he is overmatched against top defenseman right now. he can't beat them. kirst can beat a shortie but if you pole him as hopkins did after his first goal, he's not going to beat many poles with his lack of speed. really think hiltz needs to dodge more and the offense needs to move through him on the wing instead of through spallina at X. just a neutral observer's two cents

I think this is spot on. Spallina has shown some ability to dodge but as you noted hes drawing each team's #1 defender so it's spotty at best.

Hiltz dodging from GLE a lot more is definitely something that needs to happen. He was the moat aggressive I have seen him today and you saw him have some success. The main issue that we both agree on is that SU doesn't have an elite level dodger or really an upper level one. Leo has the ability but attack is to crowded as it is. I think SU would be served having Leo and Birtwistle invert. They should be on the 1st midline with Kirst and Simmons rotating that third spot each quarter.

Ya its very concerning the same issues from last year keep popping up.
at some point we cant keep blaming them for being a young team and have to start to question whether the coaching is the problem. Have followed the Syracuse women's lacrosse team for a very long time and there was a brief time where they couldn't even do the basic fundamentals-- passing/catching (especially in transition) usually would result in a turnover, 50/50 ground balls a huge huge issue, not playing a full 60 mins of lacrosse and would go 15+ mins without scoring a goal, and just making dumb decisions in critical times would drive me up the absolute wall. That kind of dissipated when he made it back to the national title game in 2021 and was hoping that these issues would not follow him over to the men's side, but looks like they have...
grimacing-face.png

I think this is spot on. Spallina has shown some ability to dodge but as you noted hes drawing each team's #1 defender so it's spotty at best.

Hiltz dodging from GLE a lot more is definitely something that needs to happen. He was the moat aggressive I have seen him today and you saw him have some success. The main issue that we both agree on is that SU doesn't have an elite level dodger or really an upper level one. Leo has the ability but attack is to crowded as it is. I think SU would be served having Leo and Birtwistle invert. They should be on the 1st midline with Kirst and Simmons rotating that third spot each quarter.

Spot on with more inverting guys like Leo and Birtwhistle more, honestly I don't understand why this offense doesn't do that more in general. You watch enough games and everyone does that, get more favorable match-ups. I thought Leo did have some opportunities against a shortie and didn't seem very assertive but he's young and hopefully he'll continue to get more confidence.

Today we tried Finn at attack,

Leo, Kirst and Simmons on the 1st line.

Birtwistle was 2nd line.

I guess March is going to mix and match depending on matchups.

Anybody else check out the post game presser? I've seen wakes that were more upbeat. That was a tough watch, players looked beyond defeated. Gait doesn't seem to have any answers, kept saying the right things but looked like he was just going through motions. He kept saying this team will go on a run and he believes in them but when sort of half challenged on it had no real response. Not an encouraging situation right now to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom