Hopkins just did us a favor | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins just did us a favor

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
He is completely unproven as a head coach, and his recruiting efforts have tailed off.
Now we are no longer forced into giving an untested guy the job and hoping he doesn't tank.

However, JB isn't going to go without them pushing him out the door. That part of this is bad, very bad.

He is completely unproven as a head coach, and his recruiting efforts have tailed off.
Now we are no longer forced into giving an untested guy the job and hoping he doesn't tank.

However, JB isn't going to go without them pushing him out the door. That part of this is bad, very bad.

When some mid-major coach comes in and is handed the clipboard you might sing another tune.

When some mid-major coach comes in and is handed the clipboard you might sing another tune.

At least that guy will have been a head coach before. And chances are he likely will have been pretty successful. So I'll take that chance versus the guy who has never done it before, and whose best trait - his recruiting prowess - seems to be in decline.

At least that guy will have been a head coach before. And chances are he likely will have been pretty successful. So I'll take that chance versus the guy who has never done it before, and whose best trait - his recruiting prowess - seems to be in decline.

Hops been here for so long and has done so much while here, I'd be less concerned about him than many that could possibly come in.

I just want a run and gun type coach in the Syracuse spirit I know and love. I know it stems from defense typically, but I want the Dino Babers of basketball ideally. I want to game fun. Not like Wisconsin

Sounds like the recruiting has tailed off because the HC hasn't supported our assistants on the trail. Some of the fans that want nothing to do with Hop and Gerry are going to do a 180 if they go out to UW and win while bringing in top talent.

Maybe his recruiting efforts wouldn't of tailed off if he hadn't had to act as a head coach for at least half of the practices Syracuse has. Lead recruiter and head coach for half of practice.

Maybe his recruiting efforts wouldn't of tailed off if he hadn't had to act as a head coach for at least half of the practices Syracuse has. Lead recruiter and head coach for half of practice.

No argument about that. JB went full Bobby Bowden a few years ago.

This will be a big day on the board for Hop's detractors, even the ones who also aren't fans of JB. They'll just have to wait him out a little longer.

It is inconceivable to me that Jimmy will not play a big part in the selection of the next head coach. He will try to validate his own ideas. Whether the next coach has had head coaching experience or not, I would be shocked if it was not somebody 100% dedicated to the Zone and short rotations. I think we will have to wait for Jimmy's successor to fall flat on his face before we could look forward to real change. Of course, don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to have Jimmy's principles continued in the context of a very successful program going forward.

So, given my assumption, there is no reason that Mike would not have been as good a HC as anybody else likely to get by Jimmy's scrutiny.

Ok if he is doing more coaching then shouldn't he be to blame for how poor the coaching has been the last 5 years? Isn't that a big red flag that our players lack fundamentals and do not develop year to year?

Ok if he is doing more coaching then shouldn't he be to blame for how poor the coaching has been the last 5 years? Isn't that a big red flag that our players lack fundamentals and do not develop year to year?
That is in the eye of the beholder.

But that is false. People have improved. I know Howard and Roberson had head scratching developmental curves this year but others have advanced their skills. Look at Rak, CJ and G as prime recent examples.

There is such a temptation to make these sweeping all or nothing statements. You'll find those are rarely valid.

But that is false. People have improved. I know Howard and Roberson had head scratching developmental curves this year but others have advanced their skills. Look at Rak, CJ and G as prime recent examples.

There is such a temptation to make these sweeping all or nothing statements. You'll find those are rarely valid.

IMO we don't develop kids

Lydon didn't take a step up from his Feb/March of last year.
Howard didn't take a step forward this year and barely got PT.
Roberson and Coleman regressed vs last year.

Cooney and Joseph regressed.
Roberson and Coleman didn't take the JR year step up we needed from them.
Mike G became a great player.

Rak took a huge step up
Cooney regressed

Grant improved
Rak did not get any better

Overall IMO there is more regression than improvement.

It is inconceivable to me that Jimmy will not play a big part in the selection of the next head coach. He will try to validate his own ideas. Whether the next coach has had head coaching experience or not, I would be shocked if it was not somebody 100% dedicated to the Zone and short rotations. I think we will have to wait for Jimmy's successor to fall flat on his face before we could look forward to real change. Of course, don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to have Jimmy's principles continued in the context of a very successful program going forward.

So, given my assumption, there is no reason that Mike would not have been as good a HC as anybody else likely to get by Jimmy's scrutiny.

This is Wildhack's call and his decision. And he is the one that is going to have to live with the success or the failure. He is going to get the praise or the heat and not Boeheim.

Now if you are Wildhack, how much input do you allow Boeheim to have? Understanding that this will all be done out of the view of the public.

JB will have ZERO say in who the next coach will be.

It's Wildhack's decision. He will make it and he has to live with it.

Will he listen to JB's input and ideas? Wouldn't you?

But Wildhack with determine the process by which candidates are identified and what the selection criteria is.

This is Wildhack's call and his decision. And he is the one that is going to have to live with the success or the failure. He is going to get the praise or the heat and not Boeheim.

Now if you are Wildhack, how much input do you allow Boeheim to have? Understanding that this will all be done out of the view of the public.

I would guess Wildhack has a short list and I'd guess he will discuss it with JB, get his input (as well as others) and then make the final call.

I wish Hopkins all the best. Seems like a great guy by all accounts and when they're not playing SU (which they rarely are), I'll be rooting for UW.

But SU hoops will be fine. There's a big enough budget and this job will attract a large candidate pool. Name brand, ACC, Melo Center, Dome, this job has it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom