Hopkins just did us a favor | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins just did us a favor

i really really hope he succeeds out there ---if he stayed and continued to have issues the fan base would have been calling for his head. i will follow washington closely and root for hopkins

One of my good friends here is a UW grad. Had no idea how was an option at all and asked me about him. I think he'll do great with his own team. I may actually follow some west coast ball in the future!

That's true. But some of that drop-off was because he was asked to do more. He was stretched to the limits of his capabilities and maybe a little beyond.

Sure (his sophomore-to-junior year numbers remind me of McNamara, who was stuck in a similar promotion), but if the claim is that his level of play regressed, that might not be false. Certainly not worth dismissing out of hand.

By the way, seeing those numbers again...it's been said before, but wow. When an elite program relies on a volume shooter without much handling or passing ability as a three-year starter at the two, he can't shoot .368 from the field if that team has any hope of success.

Sure (his sophomore-to-junior year numbers remind me of McNamara, who was stuck in a similar promotion), but if the claim is that his level of play regressed, that might not be false. Certainly not worth dismissing out of hand.

By the way, seeing those numbers again...it's been said before, but wow. When an elite program relies on a volume shooter without much handling or passing ability as a three-year starter at the two, he can't shoot .368 from the field if that team has any hope of success.
He took almost two-thirds of his FG attempts from beyond the arc during his career, so he was never going to have a high FG%, but his 2-point FG% did fall off sharply in his last season. Not sure how to explain that.

Trevor Cooney College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Inconceivable. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
yes, it means exactly what I think it means.

in·con·ceiv·a·ble
ˌinkənˈsēvəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. not capable of being imagined or grasped mentally; unbelievable.
    "it seemed inconceivable that the president had been unaware of what was going on"
    synonyms: unbelievable, beyond belief, incredible, unthinkable, unimaginable, extremely unlikely;More
In other words I would find it unbelievable that Jimmy will not be a big part of the process to select his successor.

IMO we don't develop kids

Lydon didn't take a step up from his Feb/March of last year.
Howard didn't take a step forward this year and barely got PT.
Roberson and Coleman regressed vs last year.

Cooney and Joseph regressed.
Roberson and Coleman didn't take the JR year step up we needed from them.
Mike G became a great player.

Rak took a huge step up
Cooney regressed

Grant improved
Rak did not get any better

Overall IMO there is more regression than improvement.

You cannot put all of the blame for lack of improvement on the coaching staff. The players have to shoulder the responsibility as well? No?

seems as if Wildhack finally got around to watching the film of the 9 games Hop coached last year...

But he missed the film of the OOC games this past season, apparently.
theyre under the NC Trophy and all the Final 4 nets.

hard to find...

So Cooney got worse from his So to Jr to Sr seasons? Come on.

Yes he did. Look at his stats. He played worse as a JR. Then as a SR with ZERO depth at G it got so bad that he was benched.

We went to the Final Four with that volume shooter at the two.

But he missed the film of the OOC games this past season, apparently.
Do you think we were a different team with Gillon at PG and Thompson at C?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom