Hot take: Judah and JJ are too similar | Syracusefan.com

Hot take: Judah and JJ are too similar

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Took me a few games before I made this post because I wanted to be sure. Watching Judah and JJ out there together, they are basically the same player. Heck, sometimes it’s hard to tell them apart because they have the same hairstyle. Both are dribble drive guys that can’t really shoot. They both want the ball in their hand. They’re not really complementary to each other.

I’m not sure it works having them as our primary guards. Problem is I’m not sure we have another option. I wish we had a better option at shooting guard. It may be a long year watching them both trying to get their points by driving and slashing.

Bell was 2-18, we got NOTHING from any of the forwards, and you think the problem is our guards (our best players) are too similar?
JJ had a -27 bpm to lead the team today and 9.9 PER on the season where 15 is average-ish. People can gripe about advanced stats but “best” players don’t have those kinds of numbers.

100% the same exact player. Unless something miraculously changes (e.g., one becomes proficient from the 3-pt line), it doesn't make much sense to have them on the floor together.

100% the same exact player. Unless something miraculously changes (e.g., one becomes proficient from the 3-pt line), it doesn't make much sense to have them on the floor together.
Right. But the problem is, we have to put someone out there. Who else?

Took me a few games before I made this post because I wanted to be sure. Watching Judah and JJ out there together, they are basically the same player. Heck, sometimes it’s hard to tell them apart because they have the same hairstyle. Both are dribble drive guys that can’t really shoot. They both want the ball in their hand. They’re not really complementary to each other.

I’m not sure it works having them as our primary guards. Problem is I’m not sure we have another option. I wish we had a better option at shooting guard. It may be a long year watching them both trying to get their points by driving and slashing.
It might work if they reverse roles w/ JJ playing the point and Mintz at the two.

They are very similar players but there are some slight differences. JJ apparently can't make the 3-ball - at all. But he does have a nice handle and he can pass a little. Maybe he'd be better suited as a floor general type who primarily looks to get others involved and slashes to the cup to score whenever the opportunity arises. That role might suit him better since he's a non-shooter from deep - something you'd prefer a two guard to do.

By playing off the ball, Mintz can primarily focus on what he does best - get buckets. He's attempting to be a floor general right now but that's not really his specialty - not a great passer, doesn't display great court vision. But he can shoot from outside a little - much better than JJ at least - and he's just a naturally gifted scorer.

I don't know if Red has the pieces on the roster to do it, but he might want to try to structure the team around Judah the way Larry Brown did with Iverson in Philly - let AI play off the ball and do what he did best which was score, then Brown built a team of gritty role players around him. Maybe JJ or Westry can play the Eric Snow role in that scenario?

JJ at the point and Judah at the two might work if they're willing to try it.

Last edited:

JJ wore a headband for you.

I get why we had to go after JJ in the offseason, but it didn’t make a lot of sense from a roster construction perspective. And I know some will call out the counting stats and ability to drive to the hoop, but outside of driving to the hoop he really does nothing else well.

I get why we had to go after JJ in the offseason, but it didn’t make a lot of sense from a roster construction perspective. And I know some will call out the counting stats and ability to drive to the hoop, but outside of driving to the hoop he really does nothing else well.
Consider Mintz was half way out the door.

jj.s playing a whole lotta minutes. i'm not sure why ? as stated above he and judah are pretty much interchangeable. more guard rotation please.

JJ has not shot well but he has been he has been strong driving to the basket. Looks to be getting hit but not getting a lot of calls. He’s been the best passer, and better rebounder than expected. The problem is lack of production out of the other positions and lack of shooting. Was really hoping Red would have brought in an offensive coach. We still basically roll the ball out there and let the players create their own offense. Without shooters we are relying on contested 1 on 1 shots.

They just need to learn how to play together. At one point against Tennessee, Judah passed to JJ outside the three point line and then set a nice screen on JJ’s man to free him up and JJ went straight to the basket and scored. All these guys need is a small step on their man and no one can stop them. They also need to learn to dish when the help defense comes in the lane. Red needs to have this team running more sets and a more structured offense. We need more motion and to be setting flare screens and back screens to free up Bell and Taylor.

Agreed. We'll be glad to have JJ next year - and today was his best game - but there is little chance the two of them can form a top 10 backcourt. Too similar and they don't have the skillset to make the game easier for others. Would love to be wrong.

I'm still excited for next year, I like a lot of these players and freeman Moore + ? added to starling westry brown and others is exciting. Bc of that, I'm still invested in these players and this team. But it's a deeply flawed team with an erratic focus and thus far a very low IQ. I've not read a single post today except this one, but if you took the 15 worst turnovers of the past 2 days, it would be a stunning collection. Yes it's early and yes 930 am game but still shocking.

The two can work, but I'm just not sure they know how to play team basketball. They are great athletic individual talents, but I'm waiting for them to use that to get easy shots for other guys, maybe each other. Maybe it's not on them and it's on thenithrr guys for not cutting, screening, etc. I see a bunch of players that don't know what to do when the ball isn't in their hands. Walton even called out a give and go opportunity that never happened because the guy didn't cut after passing the ball.

Watching Purdue/Tenn, I would take Purdue’s guards over Mintz and JJ right now. They even finish at the rim better.
Fans would lose their minds if we were landing these types of recruits (some people would have argued Edey had potential). Two of Purdue’s best players were three star recruits and one (Loyer) was a sub-100 four-star. I mean Braden Smith looks like a shorter, less athletic poor man’s Joe Girard. Goes to show you how much a difference coaching (Matt Painter is one of the best), program building and systems make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom