Houston Pregame Analysis | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Houston Pregame Analysis

We really can't rely on using the season any more as a metric. Only ones that matter are the last few games. Houston is a good team but I think we will be up for the challenge. They were lucky to get out of the second round honestly.
I’ve given up on stats in games like this. I always check them and read about the teams to see who is hot or see who is hurt or how the team is trending. But, it’s one game. Syracuse vs. Houston. Players on both teams have worked their asses off through difficult conditions to get to this game. Win or go home. Nobody wants to go home. It’s going to be a fun game.

We really can't rely on using the season any more as a metric. Only ones that matter are the last few games. Houston is a good team but I think we will be up for the challenge. They were lucky to get out of the second round honestly.
They seem over seeded at 2. Would a team rather play Houston than FSU, a 4, in the S16, I would.

houston’s last 2 ncaa tourny appearances

2018 lost in 2nd round to michigan on a buzzer beater, a game they had won. up 2 with 4 seconds left and shooting 2 fts. michigan ended up going to title game that year.

2019 lost in sweet 16 to kentucky on a tyler herro 3 with 20 seconds left that put kentucky up 2.

this is the biggest reason i wanted rutgers. houston is a battle tested program, rutgers would have been just happy to be there. i have no doubt if we played rutgers it would be over at halftime. i fully expect this houston game to be 60-60 with 2 minutes left.

We're pretty split on this game. One of us sees Houston as a terrible matchup. One of us sees Houston as just overrated stats wise against a lighter schedule. Click the link at the bottom for our full breakdown of both perspectives, key matchups to watch and more. Hope you guys can check it out!

They seem over seeded at 2. Would a team rather play Houston than FSU, a 4, in the S16, I would.
I'd rather have played Rutgirls myself. I think Cuse fans were all happy when they blew the game in epic Ruttie fashion. We would have had a nice advantage playing them and I really think we would have easily beaten them by 15 points. Houston scares the crap out of me...the refs are really going to set the tempo of how many fouls the Cougars will be able to get away with. We could win by 15 with scoring 15+ points off free throws and hot 3 pt shooting or we are playing without Marek for half the game and Houston is throwing up shots against the glass and getting fouled on put backs. I expect this game is going to end with one team winning by 15 points.

We're pretty split on this game. One of us sees Houston as a terrible matchup. One of us sees Houston as just overrated stats wise against a lighter schedule. Click the link at the bottom for our full breakdown of both perspectives, key matchups to watch and more. Hope you guys can check it out!

You might have a great podcast but I don't want to subscribe until I listen to it.

After thinking about this a lot more, here are my keys:

1. The health of Jarreau. The straw that stirs the drink for Houston. He is their best defender and their best passer. Good size and experience to guard Buddy. I bet they put him at the foul line. Although he’s only shooting 42% from long 2 this year, he can make the right pass and also attack the basket. Although he shoots 57% around the rim, he doesn’t draw a lot of fouls. If Houston does put him there, I say make him shoot. He’s a capable 3pt shooter but doesn’t take them a lot. He’s going to be chasing Buddy around - so if he has to run in with a bunch of picks from Q/Marek, you wonder how that will effect him. He’s by far the most turnover prone player Houston has, so hopefully he has some mistakes against the zone. Him being 90% vs, 50% health wise could decide the game.

2. Rebounding. We will not outrebound Houston, so just forget it now. They rebound nearly 40% of their misses, which is 2nd in the country. Meanwhile, we allow opponents to rebound 34% of their misses, which is 340th. We allowed WVU to rebound 43% of their misses, but we shot so well offensively that it didn’t matter. Houston is better defensively than WVU so we can’t allow that number again. I think if we can keep this to 35% or so, that’ll be good for us. Interestingly enough, we actually have the rebounding edge when we’re on offense and they’re on defense. We rebound 30% of our misses, which is above the national average of 28%, meanwhile Houston is right at 28%. We have the potential to hurt them here. But we really need Q to have a big game.

3. Free Throws. Houston fouls, a lot. 332nd in the country (that’s really bad). In fact, 24% of the points that Houston allows comes from the line, which is 8th highest in the country. We shoot 78% from the line, unfortunately for us we rarely go. Houston really only wants to play 7.5 guys - if we’re aggressive in trying to get them into the paint and get to the line it could be a big equalizer for us. Hopefully we see Buddy attack more. This also suits AG better than Bras and Kadary better than Joe. Houston does have 2 guys that block the ball at a high rate, but they are both 6’8”. Gonna need Marek and Q to be aggressive. On the other side, we don’t foul a lot, nor does Houston draw a ton of fouls. They are a solid FT shooting team though.

4. 3pt shooting. Surprise, surprise! Only Grimes and Sasser shoot a lot of 3s for Houston. Grimes is elite (42% on over 200 attempts) with great size (6’5”) meanwhile Sasser is inconsistent (33%) and small (6’1”). Sasser in general has really struggled from deep for around 2 months now. But he CAN get hot. Other than them, no one shoots it a lot (no one else has over 80 attempts). However, Jarreau can make them. Gorham shoots 36% but has only made 17 on the year. I think it’s pretty obvious you need to focus on Grimes here and maybe Sasser, but I think the zone will pack the paint. Houston is elite at finishing at the rim. Houston has made at least 7 3s in their past 21 games, so you can’t totally ignore the 3, but they aren’t the threat WVU was. If you take out Grimes, they are 32% from 3 as a team. For whatever reason, teams don’t attempt a lot of 3s against Houston this year. Only 12 times in 29 games has a team taken over 20 3s against them - in 27 games we’ve taken over 20 3s 22 times. Houston only allows 29% against them from 3. It’ll be interesting to see how they play us. We can’t be afraid to put it on the deck because it seems like they’ll do what they can to keep us from shooting from 3.

Grimes and Buddy are studs. If one plays well and the other struggles, that could be the game. Role players will be huge here. Can Sasser get hot from 3? Can Q take advantage down low? Will AG wake up? Will a healthy Jarreau carve us up in the zone? Will Joe carry over his shooting from WVU? Will Gorham have a big day on the offensive glass? Can we take advantage of Houston’s tendency to foul?

If Sasser isn’t on from 3 and we hold our own on the glass, I think we win. Grimes is certainly capable of going off - and while Buddy is too, I think this will be his toughest matchup in this hot stretch. Jarreau is the AAC DPOY and he’s 6’5”. Grimes has very favorable defensive metrics and he’s 6’5 205. Buddy will see both. This has to be an offensive game where everyone else gets going for us.
Good post, especially #3.

Fun fact ...

Houston is one of the 5 best rebounding teams in the country. SU has played 3 of the other 4 top rebounding teams ... and beat them all.

Both WV (#5 in rebounding) and UNC (#1) used rebounding to help turn really bad shooting performances into 70 point games. I think Houston will too.

Houston's offense is predicated on slashing and kicking the ball out, something they won't be able to do against our zone. I expect them to struggle from the field, but find ways to score anyway off putbacks. Look for them to score in the high sixties or low seventies, points wise.

The question is, can SU's offense top that against a statistically excellent Houston defense?

I'm optimistic about it. I have an inherent distrust of defenses that apply on ball pressure but don't have a shot blocker to back it up. Rutgers spread them out, beat them off the dribble, and got a lot of easy looks around the basket. I think we will too.

What I'm nervous about is how important Quincy Guerrier will be. We need him to be excellent on the boards, excellent on defense, and excellent on offense. Having a singular point of failure like that is never good, especially when the player in question has a banged up knee.
Good post.

While I'm on board with Q having or needing a big game, I'm impressed with the versatility of the SU offense. Q having a big game would be a big positive, but so would Griff - maybe the small size of U allows MD to score 20 which he has done a number of times. I see no reason why Bras couldn't get 15 if he is open and also on inside shots against a smaller defense. I also wonder about how much damage KR could do inside since UH apparently don't have much height inside.

I'm as optimistic as I can be given that we are playing a #2.

According to HoopVision (a pay site), in NCAA tournament games since 2003 SU has a winning record against teams like Houston that, at the time of the game, averaged securing 35% or more of their own missed shots. You can access site to see years, teams, percentages, rebounding for each game in questions and results.

Lots of good analysis. Recommended if you have never seen the site.

P.S. I was able to get the info in this post from the free side of the pay wall. The detail not provided here is on the other side of the wall.

Of course past results are not a guarantee of future results.

How the heck are we 3-1 in NCAA tournament games where we allow the opponent to rebound over 50% of their misses? And the one loss was to an in-conference foe with a 1 seed and we were a 10. That is nuts.

This is why I never am concerned with rebounding. It’s overrated for us.

So - what’s even crazier/more amazing about this stat is:

Several of those teams rebounded at a MUCH BETTER RATE than their season stats against us (because: Syracuse / zone)

AND STILL LOST ANYWAY.

Sparty went from 37% to 56%!!!
And Izzo still took the L.

That almost plays into what we want. Reset the possession and take time off the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom