How about some of this falling on the players? | Syracusefan.com

How about some of this falling on the players?

VirginiaOrange

2nd String
I agree with those all over the coaches, but when do the players catch some of the same? I feel like there are far more underachievers than overachievers on the roster right now. I had posted earlier in the year about not mistaking looking the part/better athleticism for better players. Our guys look better than in previous years but mostly play the same. Perhaps it is coaching - perhaps we overrate them (and some we do).

Who on this roster has been as good or better than expected going into the year? And that includes guys like the QBs who most can agree went into the year with zero expectations.

More to my point, who has failed to meet expectations? I certainly had much higher expectations for just about every guy who has taken a defensive snap this year.

I feel like recruiting has gotten better but I am not seeing results so perhaps I am putting too much into the looks test. We can blame the coaches for a lot of this mess but at some point we need guys to step up and deliver. The program turned around in the mid/late 80s when almost complete recruiting classes came in and made themselves into better players than anyone ever expected including multiple guys who went on to nice NFL careers. I wish we could channel some of that energy now.

Yes we overrate the players. All fan bases do, really. The recruiting is only marginally better than under Marrone. But the coaches are responsible for motivating and coaching them up.

The program turned around in the mid/late 80s when almost complete recruiting classes came in and made themselves into better players

They had better position coaches than these guys do?

- Here's my thing with that. You can excuse young players for mistake and buy into the with experience this team will get better. But, our player's simply don't make plays. Third down, nobody steps up on either offense or defense.

- Herman was able to turn around a horrible Houston team, Rhule has Temple playing well. Good coaches seem to get the most out of their players. I'm not sure ours do.

Yes we overrate the players. All fan bases do, really. The recruiting is only marginally better than under Marrone. But the coaches are responsible for motivating and coaching them up.

True, but they also can't catch the ball for them or break a tackle. You can teach how to do these things better, but the players have to EXECUTE.

There are some coaches who can beat you with their players or they could trade rosters and beat your with your players. Marrone was that type of coach - he took mediocre players and coached them up into winners. That's what our next coach will do, too.

All year I see poor game prep (we go down early and have to claw our way back), poor in game management, undisciplined players getting thrown off the team or out of the game, poor tackling and poor consideration of the health of future talent.

Our players are kids. Improvements in any one of the areas noted above would demonstrate we have a coach who knows how to work with young people. So yes, the kids have a responsibility but their leader is the one who gets the best from them.

The consensus conference recruiting ranking = the conference standings

Meaning they are who they should be.

This. SO many people before the season touting Ishmael as a true number 1 receiver for instance. Fail!

SoBeCuse said:
This. SO many people before the season touting Ishmael as a true number 1 receiver for instance. Fail!

He's been fine. The offense is failing him, not the other way around.

SoBeCuse said:
Lol. Right. You can't be serious. He can't even get open half of the time.

If he was open half the time he'd be Julio Jones, and he was open a lot today just had a guy with no touch deep passing the ball. We got a lot of problems, but Ishmeal ain't one.

OrangeAl said:
There are some coaches who can beat you with their players or they could trade rosters and beat your with your players. Marrone was that type of coach - he took mediocre players and coached them up into winners. That's what our next coach will do, too.

Marrone was a .500 coach in a really bad big east. Can we stop this now please?

All season long I have seen running backs get hit by our d-backs, d-back slide off gets run over, next man up same, next man up same and so on. After a twenty yard gain, finally he stumbles and then he is gang tackled. Our defense is division 2 quality except for a couple.

Marrone was a .500 coach in a really bad big east. Can we stop this . . . . now please?
Context is everything. What happened before and after HCDM?

Marrone was a .500 coach in a really bad big east. Can we stop this . . . . now please?
How many of these teams do we beat today?

• West Virginia
  • Louisville
  • Pittsburgh
  • Connecticut
  • South Florida
  • Rutgers
  • Cincinnati

You can't keep saying bad big east if it doesn't change the outcome much

The consensus conference recruiting ranking = the conference standings

Meaning they are who they should be.
That's the reality
We've been ranked in the 50's in recruiting for the last 6 or 7 years now. But under Shafer, on the field where it really counts we're ranked in the 80's/90's. What does that tell us? Are the recruiting rankings not as accurate as you say...or is Shafer over his head?

If you guys dont think Marrone wasnt better at developing players then I dont know what to tell you guys. I am still amazed of what he got out of some of them. We had no speed, we had a D1aa offensive line, we had RB's as LB's, WR's as DB's, He got a strong arm QB who couldnt throw deep balls to become a more complete thrower and a NFL QB. He got the most out of Delone Carter. He developed a WR that no one recruited and made him a all leauge player. Got the most out of a 5'9 shamarko thomas, and a skinny DE that no recruited out of high school. He brought in juco's, developed them and got production out of them. Big East or not. Do some of you really think Marrone wouldnt get more out of this current roster? and BTW NC State, BC, Virginia South Florida arn't great teams. Those would have been wins with Marrone's staff.

If you guys dont think Marrone wasnt better at developing players then I dont know what to tell you guys. I am still amazed of what he got out of some of them. We had no speed, we had a D1aa offensive line, we had RB's as LB's, WR's as DB's, He got a strong arm QB who couldnt throw deep balls to become a more complete thrower and a NFL QB. He got the most out of Delone Carter. He developed a WR that no one recruited and made him a all leauge player. Got the most out of a 5'9 shamarko thomas, and a skinny DE that no recruited out of high school. He brought in juco's, developed them and got production out of them. Big East or not. Do some of you really think Marrone wouldnt get more out of this current roster? and BTW NC State, BC, Virginia South Florida arn't great teams. Those would have been wins with Marrone's staff.
There should be ZERO question that marrone>shafer.

Problem is, there is likely 50 others we should get who are better than him at the nuances of being a college HC.

He's done in the NFL, maybe he 'gets' college now.

The school has made improvements and appears to continue to do so, which he wanted...let him interview again.

Wont get the job, but whatever.

KaiserUEO said:
There should be ZERO question that marrone>shafer. Problem is, there is likely 50 others we should get who are better than him at the nuances of being a college HC. He's done in the NFL, maybe he 'gets' college now. The school has made improvements and appears to continue to do so, which he wanted...let him interview again. Wont get the job, but whatever.

Do you think he's transferred his binder to iPad?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom