How can anyone listen to Bill Walton | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How can anyone listen to Bill Walton

Uh, in college Walton was a better scorer, IMO. No one ever had an NCAA Finals where they shot 21-22 from the field. THAT is the definition of BIG TIME.

I was at that game in St. Louis- with my black and white film, got the blurry photos to prove it!. Was a young boy and he was awesome. He may have been the greatest college player ever. Bill Bradley might have him. I suppose Pistol Pete's up there too. Christian Laettner...NOT.

Bill Walton was the best college basketball player I ever saw. And probably the world's most recognizable Deadhead. He revered Coach Wooden and still quotes him in nearly every game I hear Bill call. To me, he can do no wrong. He is a God among men.
I HATED UCLA growing up, HATED them, but loved Walton.

I was at that game in St. Louis- with my black and white film, got the blurry photos to prove it!. Was a young boy and he was awesome. He may have been the greatest college player ever. Bill Bradley might have him. I suppose Pistol Pete's up there too. Christian Laettner...NOT.
1. Alcindor 2. Walton 3. Maravich

GoHamSU said:
Years ago I was watching an NBA game with Walton announcing. Dalembert launched a pass out of bounds and Walton, mid sentence for a separate story, just adds "and samuel dalembert with one of the worst outlet passes in the history of the Philadelphia 76ers franchise." Pure gold.

The non sequiturs and random hyperbole are to die for

Personally I can't stand Walton as an announcer. Rants on about too many other things rather than following the flow of the game and who is doing what on the court "right now". Great player and very knowledgeable on the game, just don't put him on the play-by-play broadcast team. Charles Barclay falls into the same category - love to hear what he has to say on some sports shows, but the very odd time he broadcasts a game he is just turrible.

Just my two pennies worth.

one other point . bill walton was a total dick to the media as a player.and yet now he's joined the enemy.

It's probably just me, Jordoo, but I think we as a culture use "great" a little too easily. Walton was very good when he had other good players around him. Abdul Jabbar was great everywhere he went, and made others around him better. I'm not so sure I'd say that about Walton, although you're correct about the injuries angle.
I dispute that. That 77 Portland team watch actually a thing of beauty and it was all centered around Walton. That was not a star laden team. A couple really good players (Hollins, Lucas) and the rest a bunch of journeymen. We did not see the Walton that could have been due to injuries. Abdul-Jabbar? Walton? When healthy its splitting hairs, but KAJ had beyond average longevity, Walton did not. That separates them.

I already hit in it but they showed Arenas and Dave said a great player for AZ but nit on your all time greats team (that Bill had just run down) and Bill said "he could have been but Gilbert lost his mind" Dave "I'm sure he appreciates you mentioning that on tv" Bill starts a story about remembering the days when Gilbert would be sleeping on his coach Dave cuts him off tells him to finish off air.
Somehow I have missed Mr Walton's broadcast for a while, even so as that his voice sounded different to me. Question I have, I the Pasche "reeling Walton in" a "schtick"? I see too many "let's not go there's" that it looks to me like its scripted.

Somehow I have missed Mr Walton's broadcast for a while, even so as that his voice sounded different to me. Question I have, I the Pasche "reeling Walton in" a "schtick"? I see too many "let's not go there's" that it looks to me like its scripted.

No its definitely him trying to nip things in the butt and cut them off IMO to the point that Bill gets testy with him from time to time. They seem to be clashing quietly in every telecast I've seen them in this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom