How confident are we about Battle being 1 and done? | Syracusefan.com

How confident are we about Battle being 1 and done?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Some are extremely confident he leaves after this year, but I ask as we have struck out on some of our SG prospects and others have expressed skepticism about his shooting ability.

I would think if he shoots it well this year he is gone, and if he doesn't he is back. I still think he's our third best player this year, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as the NBA drafts on the future more than the present.

Last edited:
Some are extremely confident he leaves after this year, but I ask as we have struck out on some of our SG prospects and others have expressed skepticism about his shooting ability.

I would think if he shoots it well this year he is gone, and if he doesn't he is back. I still think he's our third best player this year, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as the NBA drafts on the future more than the present/

Not confident. I believe that we'll have lots of guys on this team who can score, and that Battle could be the #2 or #3 guy in the pecking order [admittedly, he might prove to be better than that]. So from a gaudy stats perspective, I don't know that he'd produce eye popping enough numbers to jump.

But by the same token, I didn't think that Malachi did, either, and we know how that worked out.

Ultimately, team success plays a factor. If we are ranked in the top 10 all year, go back to the final four or win the whole thing, even if Battle doesn't have a big year he might still be a desirable commodity due to him being associated with the team's success.

Really hard to say at this point. He's a talented kid.

I think we'll know pretty early on when we see him in game action. If he commands the court physically and dominates against talented, more experienced players right out of the box, and does so within the natural flow of the game, he won't be here for long.

I basically assume everyone that's any good will be gone early at this point. We've had a 6th man and a guy with a torn up knee go. If they surprise me and come back like Lydon, then it's like an unexpected victory.

Depends on how we play. If we can get out in transition, he will shine. If people are able to slow us down, then I think he'll struggle in the half-court.

I think we will be able to run a lot more this year, in half court situations, he should be able to get some open looks with Gillon and Howard creating, and teams trying to take away Tyler and White.

I think it's supposed to be a pretty deep draft this year if I remember correctly. Doesn't mean Tyus wouldn't Battle for a good draft spot if he declared, but this could push him down the list somewhat and perhaps sway him to return. Admittedly, I am not sure who all the potential draft picks are at this point. I agree with everyone, depends on his and the team's success and style of play.

I think it's supposed to be a pretty deep draft this year if I remember correctly. Doesn't mean Tyus wouldn't Battle for a good draft spot if he declared, but this could push him down the list somewhat and perhaps sway him to return. Admittedly, I am not sure who all the potential draft picks are at this point. I agree with everyone, depends on his and the team's success and style of play.
Not sure how deep it is. Saw a mock with Roby in the late 1st round.
2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

I don't think he is, unless he morphs into our best player.

People can say what they want about recruit rankings but he's ranked 35th. Outside of Mali, McCullough, and Ennis (all top 25) everyone else rated better than Battle has stayed at least 2 years. Not saying he can't or wont, but every one of the guys listed below were rated higher than Battle with some mixed results. We honestly don't really know what we're going to get from a freshman.

Mali 23rd
McCullough 24th
Ennis 20th

Coleman 14th
Roberson 31st
Rak 20th
MCW 21st
Fab 14th
Dion 15th

I'd have to think the only thing that would keep him here is if he wants to be here for a second year.

When a guy like McCullough gets a draft pick used on him, virtually anyone with "measureables" and a pulse has a shot to leave early.

I'd have to think the only thing that would keep him here is if he wants to be here for a second year.

When a guy like McCullough gets a draft pick used on him, virtually anyone with "measureables" and a pulse has a shot to leave early.
I agree - we have seen that production on the court may not meet the hype but doesn't always deter the player from choosing the professional path. I think most of these kids decide before they step foot on campus on whether they are 1 and done or not.

Might as well just bring in a few talented fifth-year transfers every year. Really no different than a one and done but with much more experience.
There are so few 5th years transfers available that have the level of talent that we are seeking that it makes that a VERY risky strategy. This year we were extremely fortunate to have two of those type of guys available & that we landed both.

Think of how our roster would be hurting wo Gillon & White.

The strategy has to be to prioritize bringing in the frosh & only use the 5th year transfer strategy as a backup plan. Heck, you don't even know which 5th year eligible guys would be leaving their current programs until after the season has been completed.

Lastly, on a very positive note, I just had a chance sit down with my NBA scout friend. He is now scouting the West so he does not get to see our guys too often & is unfamiliar with most of our guys. However, we were talking about our roster & he did not realize that we had gotten White. White was a kid he was interested in watching. Not that he said White was anything like a sure thing (for the NBA), but I figure if a kid is even on the radar of an NBA scout, he must be the real deal at the collegiate level.

The NBA will draft on potential. So if he just wants to be a first round pick I'm sure he will be able to go somewhere in the 12-24 range no matter what happens. It will be interesting to see if some of these kids change the mindset though. I remember hearing that Kris Dunn said he came back to get better and more ready and wanted to go high in the draft because he saw a lot of people who had talent going later and not making it in the league it seemed like. I wonder if this could be a trend with some kids.

The NBA will draft on potential. So if he just wants to be a first round pick I'm sure he will be able to go somewhere in the 12-24 range no matter what happens. .

I don't get how he would be picked 12th-24th without even playing a game yet considering he's ranked 35th of all the freshman. I'm not saying he can't get there but was is making the 34 guys in front of him not being draftable out of the first 24 picks.

I would think if he shoots it well this year he is gone, and if he doesn't he is back. I still think he's our third best player this year, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as the NBA drafts on the future more than the present.

Best case for a Syracuse fan is he follows Dion's trajectory as super 6th man this year, and we get a 2nd year out of him, worst case is he follows Malachi's route. Neither of those are terrible outcomes, as it would necessitate the team doing well, and with a gun to my head, I am absolutely, positively certain that the chances he goes after 1 year are 50%.

I don't get how he would be picked 12th-24th without even playing a game yet considering he's ranked 35th of all the freshman. I'm not saying he can't get there but was is making the 34 guys in front of him not being draftable out of the first 24 picks.

I tend to agree. I think outside the top 15 or so guys 15-50 are pretty evenly matched, but that's still a ton of guys to jump over in a deep draft like this year. Battle isn't showing up on any draft boards, so that is good for us now, whereas Lydon is just outside the lottery in every projection. I think Battle could outperform his ranking(Syracuse recruits seem to more than not), but I think he's going to have to prove he can shoot the ball to be drafted as a 2 in the NBA. I asked the question because I know some fans think he's going to have a bigger impact than Lydon or Mal last year, but I think that's going to be difficult to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom