How is your brand now Ishaq? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How is your brand now Ishaq?

I wouldn't say I'm making a broad generalization of our fanbase. If that's the way I came off, that wasn't my intent. But it's a sentiment that I've noticed in recruiting threads often enough when some recruits commit to the FSUs and Notre Dames of the world over us.

And I'm not so dense as to realize that our program are different. But I don't think that's relevant. The baseline is the caliber recruit each program tries to recruit. If we assume that said 4-5 star recruits, basketball OR football .IN GENERAL considers things like facilities, TV exposure, prestige, etc important, why do SOME in our fanbase consider one a positive and one a negative? When a top ten basketball recruit comes here it's because he wants to win, or because of our "brand." When a four star football recruit does the same thing, ie choose a top 10 program over us, he's a prima donna, or he just cares about a "name" or has his hand out.

I don't mean to come off negative, I suppose some posts elicit more of a visceral response which get me to post more. A lot of the recruiting stuff is truly awesome. I've benefitted greatly from the elimation of a premium board. Sometimes you have to wade through some garbage to find the good stuff.
Good post--agree with last paragraph 100%.

Not to get in the way of a good self-righteous rant, but Jake was referring to the father with the pious comment, not Ishaq.

He was justifying the existence of the thread. The title of which is a slam on a 20-year-old kid that simply chose to play football elsewhere.

The "sins of the father" were trying to direct his son to a school he felt was academically, athletically, and post-graduatation superior. I wonder how many on this board are "guilty" of the same? I followed Ishaq's recruitment pretty closely, and don't once recall Mr. Williams uttering a disparaging word about the program. We don't get Wayne Williams without him.
Not to get in the way of a good self-righteous rant, but Jake was referring to the father with the pious comment, not Ishaq.

I thought my post would have quoted Jake's remarks, not yours. His justification is invalid. The thread title says nothing of the wayward ways of a parent, and specifically calls out a former recruit. But beyond that, it's hypocritical to call out Mr. Williams as sanctimonious, while "crucifying" him for encouraging his child to attend another school. This of course, assume Mr. Williams wasn't acting in his son's best interests. I tend to think he was.

If you are considering me self-righteous for pointing out heinousness of mocking a kid's mistake on a public message board ... well, i guess i am self-righteous.

Here's a suggestion for the mods, why don't we just delete all the posts in this thread and leave this image-
128838124308981647.jpg

He was justifying the existence of the thread. The title of which is a slam on a 20-year-old kid that simply chose to play football elsewhere.

The "sins of the father" were trying to direct his son to a school he felt was academically, athletically, and post-graduatation superior. I wonder how many on this board are "guilty" of the same? I followed Ishaq's recruitment pretty closely, and don't once recall Mr. Williams uttering a disparaging word about the program. We don't get Wayne Williams without him.

I thought my post would have quoted Jake's remarks, not yours. His justification is invalid. The thread title says nothing of the wayward ways of a parent, and specifically calls out a former recruit. But beyond that, it's hypocritical to call out Mr. Williams as sanctimonious, while "crucifying" him for encouraging his child to attend another school. This of course, assume Mr. Williams wasn't acting in his son's best interests. I tend to think he was.

If you are considering me self-righteous for pointing out heinousness of mocking a kid's mistake on a public message board ... well, i guess i am self-righteous.

Here's a suggestion for the mods, why don't we just delete all the posts in this thread and leave this image-
128838124308981647.jpg

I considered your post self righteous because your calling out harassment against a kid replying to a response I made specifically about the father. I haven't said a disparaging thing about Ishaq in this entire thread and I was only commenting on a comment Jake made about the father.

Again, I hold no ill will towards either one of them for the ND decision in and of itself, at the time it was a better program and the networking opportunities and quality if education is hard to pass up. Ishaq was a class act throughout the recruiting process. I still don't like the way the father came off and I stick by that. If you don't agree that's fine, you don't have to agree.

docsu said:
I wouldn't say I'm making a broad generalization of our fanbase. If that's the way I came off, that wasn't my intent. But it's a sentiment that I've noticed in recruiting threads often enough when some recruits commit to the FSUs and Notre Dames of the world over us. And I'm not so dense as to realize that our program are different. But I don't think that's relevant. The baseline is the caliber recruit each program tries to recruit. If we assume that said 4-5 star recruits, basketball OR football .IN GENERAL considers things like facilities, TV exposure, prestige, etc important, why do SOME in our fanbase consider one a positive and one a negative? When a top ten basketball recruit comes here it's because he wants to win, or because of our "brand." When a four star football recruit does the same thing, ie choose a top 10 program over us, he's a prima donna, or he just cares about a "name" or has his hand out. I don't mean to come off negative, I suppose some posts elicit more of a visceral response which get me to post more. A lot of the recruiting stuff is truly awesome. I've benefitted greatly from the elimation of a premium board. Sometimes you have to wade through some garbage to find the good stuff.

I think the best kids should come here for football because I'm a fan. And I want the best talent. I also want the best basketball players. I think if you are the best and you don't pick us, you're a turd.

It's not hypocrisy. It's fandom.

That's the truth. I'd like to consistently break 100. My short game kills me, and practicing hasn't helped much.
It sucks to suck.
I use to shoot high scores until I took a lesson and the learned the right things to practice. If you practice bad habits than you will always shoot in the 100's. If you take a lesson I would go with a pro who videotapes our swing. It is a lot easier to correct things when you can see it on video.

No offense sherm but the father did say "...Ishaq will be going to a school (ND) where he can build his BRAND", the kid never said a thing. The father was the mouthpiece for him the entire time he was being recruited. Pretty much everything spoken in his recruitment came from his dad.

The original post is a knock on the father, not the kid as he was orchestrating everything.

Moontan said:
Maybe Chip is available.

This is leading... You're going to get hammered here for such suggestions.

Regardless, just give me a call if I'm needed.

Did Kelly really rationalize that these violations are occurring because of the rigorous academic requirements at Notre Dame? Kind of an affront to the 99%+ student-athletes that do things the right way, isn't it?

BTW, not one to pass on rumors but I have a close colleague whose family contributes heavily to ND. Saw him yesterday at the Dick's Open and he says, while not tip of the iceberg magnitude, the ongoing investigation goes well beyond the four named players.

I use to shoot high scores until I took a lesson and the learned the right things to practice. If you practice bad habits than you will always shoot in the 100's. If you take a lesson I would go with a pro who videotapes our swing. It is a lot easier to correct things when you can see it on video.

It's good advice, but lessons have never helped me much.

I'll keep trying, though. Thanks.

Wow, I didn't anticipate the amount of vitriol and divisiveness my post would cause. There have been responses to "I was just going to post that" or "I was thinking the same thing". There have been responses of "grow up", "how old are you", "who cares", and even someone who said "I wish you didn't post on this board".

So that anyone reading my post understands where I'm coming from, I'm not mad at Ishaq at all about choosing to go to ND instead of SU and I understand why he and many other recruits would make that choice. I do think it has proven to be a bad decision, as he would have likely had a much more productive career at SU. He didn't start a game until his Junior year and never recorded a single sack and I think he would have had a much better career here at SU in this aggressive blitzing defensive scheme. I don't think he would have been involved in an academic scandal at SU, but who knows.

The reason I posted about it and linked to the article is that I am still pissed off at Shaun Williams for several reasons. First, even if Ishaq wasn't considering SU, I found Shaun Williams' comments ridiculous and wildly inappropriate. Referring to his son's "brand" on multiple occasions was offensive and narcissistic. He was clearly marketing his son as if he was a product to be profited off. I could understand that mentality better if Ishaq's family was not well off and was uneducated and they viewed him as the way out of poverty. They are neither. Both graduated from SU and Shaun is a freaking guidance counselor at York College in Queens. I was and am embarrassed that Shaun Williams has a degree from SU.

Second and much more important, he was and is actively steering recruits away from SU. Others have comments on this and other posts that Ishaq and his mother both wanted Ishaq to come here and Shaun steered him to ND because he felt his son's brand would profit more from going to ND. Given his status in the community and being Ishaq's father, other D1 recruits are actively seeking his guidance and he is not afraid to, and seems to be seeking, to offer it. He steered Ebenezer Ogundeko's recruitment and Ogundeko obviously chose not to go to SU, as well. I don't know what advice Shaun Williams provided him and we may have had absolutely no shot at Ogundeko even if Shaun Williams wasn't involved. However, with his comments about why ND was a better opportunity for his son, I know I don't want him advising any other D1 recruits about whether SU is right for them. As far as I'm concerned, Orange Fizz and every other website and forum should be filled with articles and posts announcing that Shaun Williams' advice, guidance and push of Ishaq to ND failed miserably on all counts so that future recruits don't follow his advice, guidance and push. I don't think that makes me immature or a bad poster on this board, but everyone on here is entitled to his or her own opinion.

I am actually more concerned with how to I can get back down to a 3 handicap in golf then about some kid who didn't pick SU 3 or 4 years ago
With my tutoring during the Orangeyes golf tourney next year you will get there. But you gotta be on my team. ;-)

Last edited:
One side of our defensive line in an alternative universe: ;)

ishaq-williams.jpg

Jones-20130928-2013-2014-20130928-by-Grant-Tobin-Football-Home-Oklahoma-Second-Half-The-Observer-vs-OU.jpg

you know how many golfers would give their right arm to be a 12 handicap? To drop those final handicap shots I recommend practicing at the range. but a good range that has defined targets like Erie village 100 yards and in is where you will shave the strokes from your game. Good luck my friend I hope it works out for you!

If you gave up your right arm and were a 12 handicapped, I'd be very impressed.

Whats the appeal about? I thought nd reinstated him
None of the articles are clear. Just that some sort of additional NCAA approval is needed. He can't even practice until he gets it.

If you gave up your right arm and were a 12 handicapped, I'd be very impressed.

Id be more impressed if you gave up uour left arm. The left arm guides the swing. Most amateurs would probably be better off without their right arm