How long have you been an SU football fan? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How long have you been an SU football fan?

I’m 43. They used to replay the games in the late 80s on Sunday mornings and for some reason that’s what I remember. Been hooked since then.

Became a fan in 1991, after I was accepted to SU in HS. I was aware of the hoops and lax prowess, but FB was new to me. Freshman year was 1992 season with some great games including the very frustrating Ohio State loss, the Texas win, and the infamous Miami loss.

Some posters is the Dan Mullen thread were talking about how long they've been an SU fan. I thought that would make a good thread in itself. (I'll do a separate one on the BB board).

How long have you been an SU football fan?

Me: 19161. I actually became a Cleveland Browns fan first. I turned 8 that fall. My Dad wanted something he could do with his son and brough home a publication previewing the NFL season. We sat together watching whatever game was shown on Sunday, (usually the Giants). The magazine said that Jimmy Brown was the greatest player. Dad said he came from Syracuse so he became my favorite player and the Browns my favorite team. Dad said that Syracuse had another guys just like him on it's current team.

What is the first game you saw on TV or listened to on the radio?

The 1961 Liberty Bowl, Ernie Davis' last game:

What is the first game you attended?

The 1964 UCLA game. Floyd Little borke ist open with a 91 yard punt return just before halftime. WE won 39-0 in the snow over some very cold-looking Californians.

First real memory is the 1985 Cherry Bowl

We moved here from the Chicago suburbs in the late 50's. I would wait in the car listening to Joel Mareinis calling a Get Schwedes keeper or another successful scissors play while my parents checked out houses to buy. Have been a fan ever since.

My earliest memory is meeting McNabb when he was a player. I think it was at Manley.

I was about 4 or 5 years old.

Parents brought me to games as an infant. Have loved su since birth! 87 psu I watched at my grand parents wearing the old merchants bank pins. First big game I remember being at was coach p curb stomping spurrier. I remember my father turning to a friend next to him at the game and saying I told you coach p was the right hire.

Since '88 (ironically), when I started playing football in 8th grade. Went to the last SU Summer football camp that Mac hosted (and the first of P's tenure, the following year). Players I recall being there? Chris Chavers, Rob Carpenter and I think Marcus Paul (I could be completely imagining that). Coaches I recall being there (year 1): Edsall, Ivan Fears, Mike Woicik, Norm Gerber.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember attending games at the Dome in the late 80s, but for me it’s 1992 when I was 10 years old. The Miami game just flipped a switch in my brain. And at that point I was old enough to fully understand the rules of football.
Same. Funny we are the same age and remember the same starting point.

First season I can remember paying attention to the team and caring they won was the 1985 Cherry Bowl season.

I can’t ever remember not being a Syracuse Football fan. I’m 52, the 1st game I ever attended was the last game at Old Archbold with my mom against Navy. The first game I remember watching on TV was Syracuse vs Ohio St. I’m guessing in 1979 ish??? Like someone mentioned before I can definitely remember listening to games on the radio before these two games

1998 was it for me. Drawn to DMac as a young kid. 8 years old, McNabb to Brominski at my grandparents house, hiding behind a couch watching that last play. Melo in 03 sealed the deal and made me a lifer

1959 was my freshman year at SU, and the first game I attended (at Archbold Stadium) was also Ernie Davis' first game (freshman were not eligible for the varsity then). Interestingly, it was also John Hadl's first game for Kansas.

I thought Syracuse football would always be like that magical undefeated National Championship season when I became an SU fan.

Last edited:
We fell for the Orange in 2021 the first time we were in the Dome. It was the Wake game, lost in OT. Before that I was a casual fan for about a year but after seeing them live I was hooked.

I was aware of the legend of the 44s before arriving on campus in 1976.

The beatdown I saw us absorb from Bowling Green that first Saturday in cold, wet Archbold was something else entirely.

I remember Bob Avery at tailback, Mike Jones at WR and a very young Bill Hurley running mostly sideways at QB. Very bleak. A pass reached Jones on the bounce late in the thrashing and the refs called it good. Seemed a sympathy call.

So if things ever seen grim these days….well…

But Frank Maloney had a pretty good team by 1979 and even won a minor bowl game after playing an entire season of home games on the road as the Dome came into being.

Didn’t work out for Frank ultimately, but then came Mac….

31 years old, been following football since 2004. So uh... just in time i guess.