How long have you been an SU football fan? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How long have you been an SU football fan?

1985, my freshman year at SU. I followed the Orange a bit before I went to SU but was truly a fan when I got on campus and got to see a Cherry Bowl season

Since the day I was born and have had season tickets one way or another since I was in elementary school. My favorite thing in the world.

I gave up comic books for sports when I started playing sports. This was around 1986. I didn't start following until 1987, which was a good year to start. No memories at all of the Cherry Bowl season and the Pearl (which I regret), but I remember everything from 1987 forwards. I enjoyed reading the sports sections from Syracuses 2 newspapers in my HS library.

We moved here from the Chicago suburbs in the late 50's. I would wait in the car listening to Joel Mareinis calling a Get Schwedes keeper or another successful scissors play while my parents checked out houses to buy. Have been a fan ever since.

Joel Mareiness or Bill O'Donnell?

The first game I watched was the ‘66 Gator Bowl. Was rooting mightily for Czonk and Floyd against the Southerners from Tenn. I entered ESF ‘68 and became hooked from then on. Was super impressed that the first game that season, which was on the road at Mich St, was televised (a 14-10 loss). The first game I attended was the home opener in Archbold against Maryland (which we won 32-14).

Age 12 In 1989. An older friend of the family who was my hero went to Syracuse at that time. He explained to a 12 year old kid that he had a SUpercard where he could get fast food whenever he wanted. He also told stories of playing video games all the time in his dorm. For a 12 year old the campus on the hill sounded like heaven. Syracuse also played the triple option to perfection which I loved. At the same time in middle school, the circle game hats were all the rage. I bought the Syracuse version for all the reasons above and self proclaimed them my team. There was little doubt what school I was going to attend and enroll. I grew up miles from BC and my dad would take me to Syracuse/BC games and I would cheer for The Missile and Marvin Graves. Syracuse had me hooked and I haven’t let go!

1965 Little a junior; Csonka a sophomore. Before that vague memories of 1959 when a was very young.

But then there is the matter of my "championship binoculars". I wear them to every game and tell my children that when I go toes up one of them will have to carry on the tradition. They are the binoculars my Dad wore (with a new strap these days) during the 1959 season - he was a season ticket holder. Dad's been gone for 25 years and it's 64 years since 1959, but it's a connection to both my Dad and SU.

Still miss my Dad every day. I'm hoping not to long for the good olds days of SU football for much longer. Give me the new good old days!

Fan forever. Alum. Townie. I'm a veritable triple threat!

Some posters is the Dan Mullen thread were talking about how long they've been an SU fan. I thought that would make a good thread in itself. (I'll do a separate one on the BB board).

How long have you been an SU football fan?

Me: 19161. I actually became a Cleveland Browns fan first. I turned 8 that fall. My Dad wanted something he could do with his son and brough home a publication previewing the NFL season. We sat together watching whatever game was shown on Sunday, (usually the Giants). The magazine said that Jimmy Brown was the greatest player. Dad said he came from Syracuse so he became my favorite player and the Browns my favorite team. Dad said that Syracuse had another guys just like him on it's current team.

What is the first game you saw on TV or listened to on the radio?

The 1961 Liberty Bowl, Ernie Davis' last game:

What is the first game you attended?

The 1964 UCLA game. Floyd Little borke ist open with a 91 yard punt return just before halftime. WE won 39-0 in the snow over some very cold-looking Californians.
I grew up in Solvay, saw my first game on 8 Nov 1952 with SU 25 - Penn St 7. I remembered enough about that game to look up the exact date. I was 9 at the time, making it 71 years of fandom (80 years old now).

Since my freshman year in 1972.
I remember catching part of an SU game on WHAM in Rochester in '69 or '70. Randy Zur was the quarterback and I that's the first time I realized there was big-time college football in upstate NY.

The best thread ever on this board

1981, sitting around my girlfriends ( now wife) apartment On a Saturday. We and her roommates are a little bored trying to figure out something to do. someone mentions that there is a football game at the Dome . I immediately snap my head around and say , “College Football”? I had no,idea. We went up to the gorgeous dome and watched Indiana vs. SU. That was it. Hooked

We raised Oranges there. My wife changed diapers on those benches many times. Good memories

Started going to games as a kid mid 80s but became a die hard In 1997 when I went to kick off classic, and even more so 1998 when my old man took me to Ann Arbor, since then have been doing at least a road trip every season many seasons as many as 4. Being a fan has taken me all over the country Iowa, Washington, Louisiana and many dozens more. My father and I started season tickets in 1998 and I have missed 4 home games since, now I am up to 8 tickets and really hope this University makes the aggressive hire this time, or it will significantly impact my willingness to keep giving and investing. I certainly don’t move a needle but I have talked to a lot of guys I know who feel the same way. Anyway super pumped about this team at least getting a bowl game, they deserved it! Go Cuse!

Not sure how old I was, maybe 7 or 8. I lived in Columbia County, NY. My family loved everything about being from NY. I loved football; but I didn’t know a college team from NY that played D1 football. My father told me Syracuse, I’ve been a fan ever since. I did not attend SU.

My earliest memory of games was watching McNabb throw a 99 or so yard to to Marvin Harrison in 1996. I was at the game… I was 8. So sometime like 95 or 96

Enrolled at SU in 1969. Grew up in Albany area and had seen a handful of games before that (a brother graduated from LeMoyne in 1967). I've been a season ticket holder since the first year of the Dome. I travel from Albany area and have missed only a handful of home games in 44 years (darn those inconsiderates who got married on a fall football Saturday).

My earliest memory of games was watching McNabb throw a 99 or so yard to to Marvin Harrison in 1996. I was at the game… I was 8. So sometime like 95 or 96

A coach's dream: a goal line stand against a rival, followed by a 95 yard TD pass.

1995. I was 10 and my first game was McNabbs first game. Seeing him scramble and make something out of nothing was amazing.

1974 I believe, but I could be a tad off. Attended many at Archbold. Was at the last game vs Navy as an 8 year old, and opened the Dome. Never looked back.