How Much Can Shafer Get Done in Two Weeks? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How Much Can Shafer Get Done in Two Weeks?

We need to get push from then o line and get the d line to stop trying to make the highlight reel on every play and start playing their positions. If we need to get out of the shotgun and make Trudo the center then so be it. Games are won in the trenches and to me the line play on both sides needs to improve more than anything.

This is just a thought; with Ron Thompson looking so good as a D-Lineman, almost forgot he came to us as a highly rated TE. Why not do the same with Kendall Moore? He would definitely inject much needed athleticism to the DLs, does he have the mentality to play defense? We don't need him on the O-Line, and hopefully we will have Josh Parris and Jamal Custis taking care of the TE position.

This is just a thought; with Ron Thompson looking so good as a D-Lineman, almost forgot he came to us as a highly rated TE. Why not do the same with Kendall Moore? He would definitely inject much needed athleticism to the DLs, does he have the mentality to play defense? We don't need him on the O-Line, and hopefully we will have Josh Parris and Jamal Custis taking care of the TE position.

We can't get in the mold of just moving players. Thompson was just as highly regarded on the defensive side of the ball as he was TE. He actually had a couple of specific offers on the D-Side of the ball. Moore exclusively played OT/TE in high school.

We need to get push from then o line and get the d line to stop trying to make the highlight reel on every play and start playing their positions. If we need to get out of the shotgun and make Trudo the center then so be it. Games are won in the trenches and to me the line play on both sides needs to improve more than anything.

I know people rip McDonald about his offense - rightfully so in my opinion - but 90% of what is installed in most of these offenses around the country, both good and bad, is from the shotgun. It's an important piece. You could argue that Trudo should have been snapping from the shotgun 1000X a day over the summer to a target to make our line maximum level effective, but given they thought Miller was the guy and the most improved player on the team they probably didn't feel it was necessary.

I think Miller will get better. It was his first college game for crying out loud. I also think it's a lot more difficult to block a 6-2, 240 guy when you're 6-2, 308 a center as opposed to a guy the same size. Take a look at the basketball team and look at how many 6-6 centers give our big guys fits in the opening games against the Cornells and Colgates of the world. (I know it sounds like I'm making excuses and maybe I am but I think it's probably true.)

I'll take Gerber and Deleone's short side run any day over Friday's Debacle. I'd especially take Norm Gerber against Georgia Tech