How to Fix SU Football? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

How to Fix SU Football?

That 5 game losing streak was four ranked teams and at Wake. The last five games aren’t close to that.

Yes, so we should get mostly wins out of that group, which makes the original point that we're not too far away from being a competent, middle of the league team.

Using the season ending Sagarin from 2016-2022...

Top 25% of FBS
5-25 .167 W%
12 blowout Ls (just about half)
1 OT L

We have played a lot of Top 25% teams. The record is not bad. If only the blowouts were cut in half.

Top 26-50%
8-17 .320 W%
9 blowout Ls (over half)
1 OT W and 1 OT L

That is a horrendous record. The blowouts make it very very bad. So in our Ls vs the Top 60 or so FBS teams we have been beaten badly in 21 out of 42, exactly half.

Top 51-75%
11-4 .733 W%
2 blowout Ls (half)
1 OT W

That is a decent record, but how the heck are we losing easily twice in this range? Those are your Top 60ish to 90ish teams.

Bottom 25%
7-2 .778 W%

These are your really bad teams, and one of these Ls was at home. You can forgive one, but not 2.

What sticks out IMO is that when we lose, half the time we are not competitive at all. Even when we lose to teams outside of the Top 40. Happened this year too (one out of two). That kills interest in the program. Fans stop buying in. Recruits don't want to come. The media doesn't take you seriously when we have good starts to a season.

The other thing that sticks out is how bad we perform against decent teams. We should be striving for those types of teams to be our peers. Yet we win less than 1/3 of those games, and when we lose it isn't close half the time. Unacceptable.
I'm not asking you to figure out what the percentages are for the rest of cfb because I know it's way too much work. But often times what appears to be something terrible is actually kind of ordinary. maybe we can pick a few comparable peers to see if there really is something unusual here

That 5 game losing streak was four ranked teams and at Wake. The last five games aren’t close to that.
Good point on the losing streak last season vs ranked teams. Helps with perspective. The last 5 games this season is how DB will judged up on the Hill. The program needs to string together consecutive winning seasons and bowl appearances.

I'm old enough to remember beating Clemson 41-0 so maybe I look at things differently than you do. We came close to FSU a couple of years ago and they got better and we stuck with Dino.
That was almost 30 years ago! Today's college football landscape barely resembles that period.
I'm not sure what your point is about FSU and the game 2 years ago. We have improved since then also. And I hope you don't expect us to be on par with FSU on a yearly basis. Even in our best period (1986 to 1998), we got throttled by FSU a few times.

That was almost 30 years ago! Today's college football landscape barely resembles that period.
I'm not sure what your point is about FSU and the game 2 years ago. We have improved since then also. And I hope you don't expect us to be on par with FSU on a yearly basis. Even in our best period (1986 to 1998), we got throttled by FSU a few times.

FSU got better, we haven't. College landscape has changed, so what. Look at how quickly Duke turned it around.

I'm not asking you to figure out what the percentages are for the rest of cfb because I know it's way too much work. But often times what appears to be something terrible is actually kind of ordinary. maybe we can pick a few comparable peers to see if there really is something unusual here
I know teams like Wake, Duke, BC, NC State rarely beat any real teams. But I have to think their records vs Top 32-64 teams is better than .333 with half their losses as blowouts.

Pick a team and I can try when I have time.

I have no insider info, the only thing I know is Jordan ran through the Notre Dame defense like they were standing still and that defense is loaded with talent.
Did you look at any highlights of the game? He had one TD of 54 yards, he ran through a hole that was as wide as a mack truck and went untouched. Louisville has a line with size, that can block!! He doesn't get that at SU.

FSU got better, we haven't. College landscape has changed, so what. Look at how quickly Duke turned it around.
What constitutes a turn around? Genuinely curious. 2 years? 3 years? 4 years straight of winning? See to me a school hasn't turned things around until they have a consistent 3 to 4 year performance as that likely spans two QB cycles in football. Duke is in year 2. FSU is in year 2. Colorado year 1. People are referencing schools that have not in my opinion have shown that they have made the turnaround as evidence. Some wanted to say Syracuse turned things around officially when we went bowling Dungys last season. Certainly they(examples above)are heading in the right direction but they are not there yet. Also FSU and their AD suck. That is all.

You want to compete with the upper quarter of the ACC, the issue starts and ends with the OL. Of course the rest of the roster needs to continue to improve but the OL is the single big weakness.against the better teams.

Dino has done a good job of building a roster that can compete and beat “peer “ programs. The OL has been adequate in those games.

More and Ellis get integrated and Johnson gets back I still expect them to win the last five starting with VT
See the Dino Babers article in today's Post.....He basically says what I said, we don't have the money to retain our own players or recruit and pay better ones.

• Every scholarship athlete on the University of Utah football team will be given a pickup truck as part of a sweeping NIL deal between the team and For the Win 360 (FTW360).
  • The deal is part of the NCAA's new NIL (Name Image Likeness) rules that allow athletes to be compensated for outside brands using their name, image, or likeness (or otherwise profiting off the athlete's fame).
  • Each scholarship athlete will receive a 2024 Ram 1500 Big Horn pickup truck with the Night Edition package.
I soooo want to be done with "college" athletics. Syracuse University Football has been my favorite team and go to entertainment choice for decades. But with the massive decline and more so the NIL process, I have lost much interest. It's only because of the good start and promise this year that I kept engaged. It's so hard to walk away, and at times feel like a hypocrite. However, I do see myself getting to that point eventually. Sorry, I don't see a good finish to this season. Based upon history, I just don't see it. I guess I win either way. If the team does good, I stay engaged. If they tank, I get closer to the goal of breaking free.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, and by golly JB finally leaves and now I have to be somewhat excited about Red, making hoops also much more difficult to walk away from. Argh...:confused:

Just a side note on NIL disenchantment, yes I've been on this earth a few decades. I imagine my feelings on the landscape of college athletics are expressed more by those my age. I can understand that the younger fan might even embrace the changes. Some are arguing that NIL and portal have made the playing field more even and its a good thing. So be it. It's just not for me for many reasons.

Now get off my lawn you kids..!:)

See the Dino Babers article in today's Post...He basically says what I said, we don't have the money to retain our own players or recruit and pay better ones.
Unless they’ve lost more guys than he’s disclosed, there’s one transfer that would impact depth, Geer.

No lb’s, no db’s.

If he’s saying the team would be better with the other three guys sure, but that’s not the same question.

See the Dino Babers article in today's Post...He basically says what I said, we don't have the money to retain our own players or recruit and pay better ones.
Just excuses. Come up with new schemes. If he can't do it, let a new guy give it a try at a lower rate.

The trend is your friend.

Last two years:

8 games vs top 25%, 1-7. Two losses by more than 17.

4 games 25% to 50%, 3-1 , one loss was to wake by 10, one position outside the top 25%

2 games between 50% to 75%, 2-0

5 games in bottom 25%, 5-0

That’s a much different profile. A much better profile

Last edited:
That’s not true. FSU has gotten much better. SU hasn’t improved as much obviously, but it hasn’t gone backward.

I know teams like Wake, Duke, BC, NC State rarely beat any real teams. But I have to think their records vs Top 32-64 teams is better than .333 with half their losses as blowouts.

Pick a team and I can try when I have time.
I hate it when you spend time doing stats and some dope says oh yeah well what about every other team in history.

Is NC State a good team to compare? Pitt too good, bc too bad.

Last edited:
The trend is your friend.

Last two years:

8 games vs top 25%, 1-8. Two losses by more than 17.

4 games 25% to 50%, 3-1 , one loss was to wake by 10, one position outside the top 25%

2 games between 50% to 75%, 2-0

5 games in bottom 25%, 5-0

That’s a much different profile. A much better profile

We haven't had 5 games the last 2 years vs the bottom. Are you using 2021-22? That is 23 games you have only 20 listed. If you are just using 2022-23 that is only 17 games.

We haven't had 5 games the last 2 years vs the bottom. Are you using 2021-22? That is 23 games you have only 20 listed. If you are just using 2022-23 that is only 17 games.
I included the two fcs games as bottom 25% to account for all games played.

13 last year, 6 this year = 19

Top 25 % should be 1-7, not 1-8.

19 games

Yeah, not happy about him saying that at all, to be honest.

We went 5-7 in 2021, with losses to Rutgers and an uncompetitive game against a mediocre Louisville.
We were better last season than we were in 2021. We are better now than we were in 2021.
FSU has always had more talent than SU since we started playing in the ACC - even in 2018 when we pounded them.
If you want to go ahead and cherry pick teams that improved from year to year, have at it. If you want to be genuine, pick all the teams that have gotten worse. How about Pitt? How about BC? UVA? VaTech?

Yeah, not happy about him saying that at all, to be honest.
We as Cuse fans, need to stop living in fantasy land, and embrace the truth about our situation> I hope we develop a winning program, but recognize what our limitations are, and it goes deeper than a coach or an AD. This new football landscape is getting increasingly more difficult to successfully navigate without a lot of consistent Cash Flow!!