Howard Washington | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Exactly. Why isn’t he redshirting. Makes zero sense

On the surface I can see your point but maybe he wants to really find out where he stands. I would speculate that from his perspective the only thing worse than what's happening to him now would be redshirting and then still sitting for 1,2, or even 3 years.

Exactly. Why isn’t he redshirting. Makes zero sense

Why would Boeheim redshirts kids he is going to recruit over within the next two cycles? Washington was brought in to be depth, and he will always be depth. I assume the same for Braswell, but he is a better fit for what Boeheim runs so who knows how he'll develop?

I thought it was totally unfair that Washington pkayed for 30 seconds before being replaced for a walk on. Washington deserves a lot better than that. He should be playing ahead of Buddy. Buddy has done nothing since playing against Divsion 2 exhibition teams.

Well, I don't get the Howard vs Buddy thing because they play totally different positions. It is like saying Robert should get more time than Howard.

It's pretty simple really; Howard is a distant 3rd string at point guard and maybe 4th string depending on how JB views Tyus. Buddy is probably the 3rd option at the 2 BUT he potentially brings something to the table and that is shooting. I say "potentially" because he is in a huge rut but at the same time we have seen flashes of what he might bring. Normally a streaky frosh shooter would find himself anchored to the bench but this team sucks canal water from the outside and JB may be hoping that Buddy can shoot his way out of the slump. There is no question that SOMEBODY or somebodies have to step up from behind the arc. The team is deeply flawed right now in that regard, JB knows what Buddy is capable of, and he is trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

At the point guard spot it is much more straightforward; your two top guys need lots of court time to shake off the rust following injuries and soph PG#3 will get crumbs. Maybe he isn't back far enough from his injury to challenge them, maybe he is simply way behind the other two. The end result is the same.

When we have a deep squad, body-wise, the last two guys are often functionally little more than walk-ons in game situations. This isn't peewee ball where everyone is guaranteed playing time. You get a free education and you have to earn playing time based upon your skills as well as the skills of the other guys at your position. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes it happens in your 3rd or 4th year, and sometimes it never happens.

Well, I don't get the Howard vs Buddy thing because they play totally different positions. It is like saying Robert should get more time than Howard.

It's pretty simple really; Howard is a distant 3rd string at point guard and maybe 4th string depending on how JB views Tyus. Buddy is probably the 3rd option at the 2 BUT he potentially brings something to the table and that is shooting. I say "potentially" because he is in a huge rut but at the same time we have seen flashes of what he might bring. Normally a streaky frosh shooter would find himself anchored to the bench but this team sucks canal water from the outside and JB may be hoping that Buddy can shoot his way out of the slump. There is no question that SOMEBODY or somebodies have to step up from behind the arc. The team is deeply flawed right now in that regard, JB knows what Buddy is capable of, and he is trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

At the point guard spot it is much more straightforward; your two top guys need lots of court time to shake off the rust following injuries and soph PG#3 will get crumbs. Maybe he isn't back far enough from his injury to challenge them, maybe he is simply way behind the other two. The end result is the same.

When we have a deep squad, body-wise, the last two guys are often functionally little more than walk-ons in game situations. This isn't peewee ball where everyone is guaranteed playing time. You get a free education and you have to earn playing time based upon your skills as well as the skills of the other guys at your position. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes it happens in your 3rd or 4th year, and sometimes it never happens.

Keep posting, a lot and more often!

Barring injury, Washington and Buddy figure to be the ninth and tenth men on this team in some order as the season unfolds. Buddy will play when JB is looking for shooting and Washington will play when he needs someone with point guard skills out there.

I'm sure Washington isn't too upset that he didn't get a few extra minutes with the walk-ons at the end of that game.

The look on his face from the bench told a different story...

Read some talk on Facebook that he is going to be transferring out, potentially at the end of the semester. Its Facebook so who knows how accurate it is. Figured I would share.

I feel for the kid. Clearly wants to be at Syracuse but is just stuck at a position that we are set at for the foreseeable future.

wouldn't be surprising if true - he's been and will continue to be recruited over

edit: which is not to say I'm in favor of it, or don't believe he's capable of cracking the rotation at some point

Lucky for him if you transfer out of Syracuse you can play right away. Transferring in...totally different
And if I’m not mistaken he’s originally from Buffalo correct? Might be able to slide into a good situation over there.

Very disappointed but not surprised to read this. Just really hope no one gets hurt after he leaves.

if he's going to do it, smart timing to do it now. makes him eligible for 2nd semester next season.

opens up a slot for any prep school kid who might want to join quincy & sign on for 2nd semester themselves

*cough akok cough*

5C868B05-285F-455F-9284-B81BE87080CF.jpeg

Hmm...that would open up a second semester scholly eh?

Watching how JB has handled his playing time, I think JB knows exactly what he’s doing.

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Howard Washington pout at the end of the bench last night.
I guess it’s pretty serious.

Akok is not coming here. I'll be bummed if HW transfers but it's not suprising if he does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom