Hypothetical | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical

Nahson

Your best friend
Sorry if this isn’t thread worthy, but it’s something I’ve been going back and forth with all week. Here’s a hypothetical I’d like to throw out there, see what you guys think... So, in the event Dungey can’t play or gets hurt (heaven forbid) and being within reach of getting a bowl bid... Would you be OK with burning Devitos RS, if he gave us the best chance to win? He could always redshirt next season. OR would you be more apt to finish out his RS and use him next year in a pinch (with a more favorable schedule)? I was thinking that I would burn it, if he gave us the best chance to win now. Getting to a bowl game this year, with how tough our schedule has been, would be a big step in the right direction. Next year, it won’t be such a tall task. Potentially 2 bowl years in a row, redshirt him next year? But then again we won’t have Zach next year and I’m not sold on Rex... Idk, what do you guys think?

Absolutely. Syracuse does not have the luxury of waiting for next year. We are the perpetual next year program. Need to do whatever is humanly possible to get to a bowl this year no matter what.

1000% yes.

Hopefully we're not going to have to worry about this, but we're 4-5, you play whoever gives you the best chance to win. 6 wins is in reach.

(* I reserve the right for this opinion to be 100% polar opposite of something I've said in the past.)

Burn the 'shirt only if Dungey is out for the rest of the season. Then give Devito run the last three games. (Assuming of course he's passed Mahoney on the debth chart.) If Dungey is just out this week - play Mahoney and keep Devito on the bench.

No way. A possible win, or 2, vs. an entire year of potential. Lose 9+ games from him. Not even close to being worth it.

If Ed is out, Mahoney is out, culpepper is out... Still. No. Next year he gets some time, then 3 years of lights out- with guys picked for the system.

Depends on if he's looked better than Mahoney in practice. We know he's a better in a lot of areas - but understanding of the offense/experience? Don't know if it's worth it.

Worth noting that Dino said he would start DeVito if he gave us the best chance to win - RS or not. He also said he'd be "ok" out there.

I say play him if he helps us win. A bowl game this year would be great but the extra practice time is even more important for the entire program

At this point only if he is head and shoulders above Mahoney and Culpepper. Honestly, odds of winning two of three with a freshman QB taking his first snaps would be pretty slim no matter who that QB is. But you are right - it's hypothetical. Barring amputation Dungey will be out there from the get go to the final gun on Saturday.

I say play him if we have too for getting to a bowl game is the primary goal and waiting is not an option these days. Need the extra 14 days of practice which will help immensely with the younger players.

At this point only if he is head and shoulders above Mahoney and Culpepper. Honestly, odds of winning two of three with a freshman QB taking his first snaps would be pretty slim no matter who that QB is. But you are right - it's hypothetical. Barring amputation Dungey will be out there from the get go to the final gun on Saturday.

my thoughts exactly, he will be out there this week and assuming we win, you can theoretically sit him next week if he needs to rest or recover to get ready for bc

Sorry if this isn’t thread worthy, but it’s something I’ve been going back and forth with all week. Here’s a hypothetical I’d like to throw out there, see what you guys think... So, in the event Dungey can’t play or gets hurt (heaven forbid) and being within reach of getting a bowl bid... Would you be OK with burning Devitos RS, if he gave us the best chance to win? He could always redshirt next season. OR would you be more apt to finish out his RS and use him next year in a pinch (with a more favorable schedule)? I was thinking that I would burn it, if he gave us the best chance to win now. Getting to a bowl game this year, with how tough our schedule has been, would be a big step in the right direction. Next year, it won’t be such a tall task. Potentially 2 bowl years in a row, redshirt him next year? But then again we won’t have Zach next year and I’m not sold on Rex... Idk, what do you guys think?
I think I'd leave it up to Devito and his family. If he's cool with it and he's the better option, go for it.

Although it would be fun as hell to see Mahoney get it done

in one camp we have people worrying about Devito being so good he leaves in yr 3, in another we worry about losing a RS. FSU is struggling because they had no backup plan for a So QB and forced to play a FR who isnt ready.. If we dont have someone in place to play 3-4 yrs from now because Devito loses his RS then we have bigger issues anyway.. you need to have depth and recruit to go forward as a program.. If we are solid we have 2-3 kids who can step in and compete, still knowing one is probably our best option.

My math:

Burn it.
Maybe win a game or 2, for a middling bowl. Maybe not.

Don't burn it.
3 full years with higher caliber? Recruits(or even just the young guys), coming into their own. Ranking potential, better bowls, packed dome, further uptick in recruiting, respect.

You did say hypothetical, so for me, burning it would be a hypothetical tragedy.

If Dungey gets hurt badly enough he can't finish the season, I think Devito will play. I don't think his family wanted the RS anyhow and think he's our #2 after Dungey if we want to get to a bowl game. I think Dino kind of stated it at his news conference and think it's clearly been discussed, but Dungey will play through injuries if he can so don't think it's likely. He's our best chance to win and he knows it.

Those in the “Don’t burn his redshirt!!” camp make zero sense to me.

That argument only works if Dungey was a senior this year and wasn’t returning next year!!

If you burn his redshirt (assuming he gives us best chance to win), he would just redshirt next year during Dungey’s senior year! Either way, he is still a redshirt sophomore in September 2019.

Sure, some will argue “what if Eric gets hurt again next year?” How can you predict what is going to happen? Better to deal with the present situation and worry about next year when we cross that bridge.

Getting to a bowl is so important for this program. You give the ball to the player that gives you the best chance to win. ALWAYS!! Whether it’s one legged Dungey, Mahoney or Devito.

IF he's better - burn it and trust that we will be recruiting a better or at least as good prospect in the next few years. Whoever can get us a win now has to play, and sadly SU is never going to have the luxury to always allow time for their depth to sit on the sideline and get some seasoning.

Those in the “Don’t burn his redshirt!!” camp make zero sense to me.

That argument only works if Dungey was a senior this year and wasn’t returning next year!!

If you burn his redshirt (assuming he gives us best chance to win), he would just redshirt next year during Dungey’s senior year! Either way, he is still a redshirt sophomore in September 2019.

Sure, some will argue “what if Eric gets hurt again next year?” How can you predict what is going to happen? Better to deal with the present situation and worry about next year when we cross that bridge.

Getting to a bowl is so important for this program. You give the ball to the player that gives you the best chance to win. ALWAYS!! Whether it’s one legged Dungey, Mahoney or Devito.
In this hypothetical where Dungey is out for the year, it would make for 3 straight years he was not able to finish a season due to injury. In that scenario, the reasonable expectation is that Dungey and his playing style is such that he simply cannot finish a season at this level without numerous games lost to injury, and the baseline expectation would be that he will get hurt and miss games during his senior season.

Put me solidly in the camp that there is nothing that can happen the rest of this season that would justify burning his red shirt. I'd 1000x prefer having redshirt senior Devito leading a top 10 Syracuse team in 2021 then having to break in an inexperienced Devito to try to salvage a bowl game (when there is already a proven competent backup in Mahoney) this year. I'll take the chance that Devito leaves early for the NFL - in that case Syracuse will have found a high measure of success and, presumably, has recruited QB at a high level.

If I was a QB and sat out most of the 2017 season, and I'm told that I'm going to sit out all of 2018 as well, I'd be transferring and playing for someone else in 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom