I’m hoping Tommy is studying Josh Allen | Syracusefan.com

I’m hoping Tommy is studying Josh Allen

I’m hoping our OL can provide a fraction of the time the Bills OL does. Though your point is understood.

Allen and DeVito are two extremes, even beyond the fact that Allen is an elite NFL QB with NFL receivers and an NFL line. (The Colts have actually put a lot of pressure on him.) The extremes are that Allen never gives up on the opportunity to make a play and Tommy gives up the moment the play stops looking Like it did on the blackboard. Shrader may be a guy that will at least try to make something good happen, rather than tip-toeing out of bounds or chucking it to the assistant manager. He'll make more bad plays doing that but also make some good plays Tommy would never attempt. You gotta wanna.

The other SU-related take-away in this game is the success Rivers had throwing the ball over the middle, especially to his tight ends. They can be a mighty weapon.

Allen and DeVito are two extremes, even beyond the fact that Allen is an elite NFL QB with NFL receivers and an NFL line. (The Colts have actually put a lot of pressure on him.) The extremes are that Allen never gives up on the opportunity to make a play and Tommy gives up the moment the play stops looking Like it did on the blackboard. Shrader may be a guy that will at least try to make something good happen, rather than tip-toeing out of bounds or chucking it to the assistant manager. He'll make more bad plays doing that but also make some good plays Tommy would never attempt. You gotta wanna.

The other SU-related take-away in this game is the success Rivers had throwing the ball over the middle, especially to his tight ends. They can be a mighty weapon.
Thanks for at least understanding my point.

I get what you're saying but having a good O-line helps a ton. It's easier to move around in the pocket when you only have to make one guy miss instead of two or three
How many times did you see Tommy successfully escape the pocket to the right to give himself a bunch more time and do nothing but chuck the ball out of bounds or step OB. He didn’t make more than one guy miss on any of those.

I also get what you’re saying but Tommy and Allen are two totally different t qbs

Allen is fearless and a gunslinger

Tommy is a methodical, true pocket passer qb.

If we didn’t offer Dungey and he ends up at Wyoming, I wonder where that puts Allen?

Allen and Dungey are very similar QBs. Allens clearly a much better passer, but they’re ability to extend plays, not afraid to get hits, penchant for hurdling defenders and just knack for making big plays is something special that you can’t teach. These are the type of guys you want playing QB. The statue pocket passer QB is a thing of the past.

How many times did you see Tommy successfully escape the pocket to the right to give himself a bunch more time and do nothing but chuck the ball out of bounds or step OB. He didn’t make more than one guy miss on any of those.

And what were the receivers doing in that case? Did they just keep running a route, or give up the route? Or were the receivers like the Bills and many other NFL teams where they come back to help the QB? Unfortunately, I think it was more of the former.

And what were the receivers doing in that case? Did they just keep running a route, or give up the route? Or were the receivers like the Bills and many other NFL teams where they come back to help the QB? Unfortunately, I think it was more of the former.
Jacobian Morgan did it twice this year in limited action. If Tommy extended a play and completed a pass it might be his first.

Jacobian Morgan did it twice this year in limited action. If Tommy extended a play and completed a pass it might be his first.

Some hyperbole there. What I hear you asserting is that TD never moved out of the pocket and completed a pass. You'd have to show me. J. Morgan came in near the end of the season when the O line had been somewhat restored and somewhat improved. As others have stated, the O line makes a big difference in the ability to make plays. It's one thing to get a chance to look over the field, then have to escape the pocket and throw. It's completely different when the the D is in the backfield almost immediately and the QB is just trying to survive.

All quarterbacks should. He definitely needs to extend more plays next year, that’s for sure.

All quarterbacks should. He definitely needs to extend more plays next year, that’s for sure.

Yep. Athletic or not, all the good QBs can extend plays.

Tommy doesn't seem so great at finding a 2nd or 3rd target if the primary isn't there, it's probably all related.

I fear it’s an instinct thing that Tommy just doesn’t have. Hope I’m wrong but up until now I think the next pass he completes on the run will be his first.
This. I’ll root for Tommy but if you’re asking my personal opinion (which is worth essentially nothing) he’s simply not a qb. Good at throwing a football, overwhelmed playing qb at least at this level. Not happening if I had to guess. But I’ve been wrong before so ...

Devito is nowhere as tough as Allen is... need to compare him to someone else .
I don’t know about generally comparing Tommy to a rising star in the NFL at this stage. But Tommy is certainly tough. He played injured most of 2019 with a rib injury and continued to get hammered and never complained. He always sucked it and went back out there and tried his best.

One can debate wether the majority of those sacks were on Tommy or the O line but since pretty much our entire stable of running backs opted out and are in the portal there might be blame to go around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom