I actually feel sorry for Fred Reed | Syracusefan.com

I actually feel sorry for Fred Reed

Dcuse

All Conference
I thought he was gonna choke Julian Whigham in front of 68,000 people and a National TV audience RIGHT ON THE FIELD! And I don't blame him one bit. This unit may very well get him and perhaps the whole staff fired. Not that the rest of the defense shouldn't get blame too but the back end was a myriad of Three Stooges film clips yesterday and I can't stomach them anymore as I'm sure Fred can't either.

I thought he was gonna choke Julian Whigham in front of 68,000 people and a National TV audience RIGHT ON THE FIELD! And I don't blame him one bit. This unit may very well get him and perhaps the whole staff fired. Not that the rest of the defense shouldn't get blame too but the back end was a myriad of Three Stooges film clips yesterday and I can't stomach them anymore as I'm sure Fred can't either.

Feel bad for Fred Reed?

I feel bad for what Fred Reed's guys are doing to me.

What's interesting about the whole thing is these guys have the speed and physical ability to stay with every single WR we've played so far. They run, step for step with everyone... assuming they don't get caught out of position, caught on their heels, etc. But from a physical standpoint, our guys can run down the field with anyone. Just shows there is a lot more to the game than pure speed. Also shows how important good coaching is.

Speed is the most overrated attribute of players. A 4.5 guy can hang with a 4.3 guy with the proper positioning and technique. Hips, agility, mental awareness, acceleration as well as other attributes are probably more important than straight line speed. It means nothing without the rest of the pieces or the awareness of how to use it.

What's interesting about the whole thing is these guys have the speed and physical ability to stay with every single WR we've played so far. They run, step for step with everyone... assuming they don't get caught out of position, caught on their heels, etc. But from a physical standpoint, our guys can run down the field with anyone. Just shows there is a lot more to the game than pure speed. Also shows how important good coaching is.
To me it's a coaching issue. Fred reed isn't doing his job. I understand they are college kids and they will get out of position from time to time but why are they constantly out of position and why are they giving them a ten yard cushion I don't get the back pedal crap when te receivers are running full speed at them. By the time they turn the receiver has blown by them. Can we please just jam at the line. It can't be any worse and I'll feel better that we atleast tried something.

Speed is the most overrated attribute of players. A 4.5 guy can hang with a 4.3 guy with the proper positioning and technique. Hips, agility, mental awareness, acceleration as well as other attributes are probably more important than straight line speed. It means nothing without the rest of the pieces or the awareness of how to use it.
Agree - awareness and being able to react to the ball is enormous. You can be a freak athlete but if being able to get in position and make a play just comes unnaturally...who cares?

I'd say the same for receivers. Yesterday with Erv on one deep ball (I didn't get to see the whole game due to work, but there was one deep ball in particular), it was clear he had a step and was more than athletic enough to make a play. But he got turned around and just looked lost when the ball got closer. He's clearly a great athlete but he looked so unnatural on that play that it made him look like a lousy athlete. Same thing is going on with some of our DBs.

To me it's a coaching issue. Fred reed isn't doing his job. I understand they are college kids and they will get out of position from time to time but why are they constantly out of position and why are they giving them a ten yard cushion I don't get the back pedal crap when te receivers are running full speed at them. By the time they turn the receiver has blown by them. Can we please just jam at the line. It can't be any worse and I'll feel better that we atleast tried something.
It can be a lot worse!

We get beat by constantly being out of position, blowing assignments, poor leverage and horrible tackling. If that isn't coaching, I don't know what is!

We get beat by constantly being out of position, blowing assignments, poor leverage and horrible tackling. If that isn't coaching, I don't know what is!
Well sure - there's that.

You people kill me. I'm not saying anybody is in a rush to steal Fred Reed from us- but do you people give any responsibility to the individuals who are actually on the field? You're really blaming Fred Reed for Whigham's leaving the guy he's assigned to for no apparent reason?

Good points. To some of those points, Reed is kinda a scapegoat here, I think. I am not sure how good of a coach he is or is not, because I've never seen him coach in practice.

What I do know is that there is a lot of coaching experience on the D side (including of course the HC) for the secondary to consistently make the same kind of alignment, positioning, and technique mistakes we see game after game. Something does not line up here. Any thoughts?

I do think this is on reed. We have recruited solid 3 star talent with athleticism and speed. Come game time its all about coaching and a nose for the ball. 3 years ago when i saw whigs athleticism, speed, and length i truly thought he had a shot to be a pro given some d1 coaching. That said, he has been lost out there for 2 straight years. Always out of position, trailimg from behind with his back to the qb.

I do think this is on reed. We have recruited solid 3 star talent with athleticism and speed. Come game time its all about coaching and a nose for the ball. 3 years ago when i saw whigs athleticism, speed, and length i truly thought he had a shot to be a pro given some d1 coaching. That said, he has been lost out there for 2 straight years. Always out of position, trailimg from behind with his back to the qb.
Like a lot of people have said, get rid of him now and let Gregory take over.

I don't feel bad for any of the coaches. They are paid to achieve results. If the results aren't there we part ways and next man up. Shafer keeps saying next man up. It's time he learns that should apply to coaches also including him. No buddy should feel bad. These guys are coaches and have all been fired at one point or another. That's the field they chose and they know what the outcome is going to be more times then not. At the end of the day this is a business not the buddy club.

Where is Steve Gregory and if shafer is retained do we have a shot at getting him

Where is Steve Gregory and if shafer is retained do we have a shot at getting him
Where is he? He's the Special Teams Quality Control coach. At Syracuse.

Deano said:

We have no idea if he's a good coach or not.

Where is he? He's the Special Teams Quality Control coach. At Syracuse.
Didn't know that. If anyone can coach up someone with less talent it's him. Steve made the most of what he had

We have no idea if he's a good coach or not.
Can't be any worse than Reed plus how many years did he play in NFL and on some some good teams and decent coach's too.

Deano said:
Can't be any worse than Reed plus how many years did he play in NFL and on some some good teams and decent coach's too.

He could be worse. He's the quality control coach so he's just getting his feet wet.

He could be worse. He's the quality control coach so he's just getting his feet wet.
Normally I would be inclined to agree, but now I am not so sure. We know one guy can't cut it. We are last in the conference. Nowhere to go but up.

Does ever occur to any of you that not all kids respond to coaching? There are plenty of players that never get good (or even better) when coached by the best of coaches. Another thing is, why in God's name would you people think that because someone was a great player they'd make a good coach. MJ and Pete Rose were great players and horrid coaches. Magic Johnson was another one. I have way of knowing whether Reed is a good coach or a bad one, and neither do you. Be careful what (and who) you ask for. You may just get it and you'll deserve it.

Amazing that he seemed to be a good coach last year...the defense was #29 in the country against the pass last year...but he forgot how to coach this year.

Never seen anything like it...

Maybe he is relying on about 4000000 freshman and sophomores, might that be it?

Jordan has never been a coach. Yes his scouting isn't great. Pete rose had over a .500 record with a team of has beens. I'm foggy on magic but wasn't he a coach for like a few weeks. Not really the best examples. There are a ton of good player coaches also. Doc rivers, spurrier, Steve Kerr, ...