I am sure I will get killed for this | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I am sure I will get killed for this

This is INSANITY. Shortened offseason with two new coordinators, most of the offense/defense install was in fall camp because spring camp got cancelled. The defense showed incredible flashes of what it could be and got let down by the offense. Tackling on special teams returns was tough as you don't practice that thing live.

Tommy actually threw the ball away today, avoided pressure and had some nice scrambles. The OL has some major injuries and once again is the main thing holding us back. We were a few inches away from multiple TDs today. That's rust & timing.

I'm frustrated but let's be a bit realistic too. We lost to the #18 ranked team in the country on the road. #24 ISU lost to ULL at home by 17 today, Kansas State lost to Arkansas State at home today.

I'm NOT putting Dino on the hot seat. Come on.

So we’ve literally had 1 coach in the last like 60 years that has won “consistently” here...and most of us wanted him canned for the last 6 years or so of his tenure.

Marrone won 2 out of his 4 years here. It can be done. With two bowl wins. With wins over ranked teams. With wins over BIG 10 teams. It can be done.

I knew Shafer wasn’t the guy. And I know Dino is not the guy. Great speaker. Lots of moxy. But won’t lead us. It’ll be one winning season out of 5.

We all want what’s best for SU football here. We unfortunately will reset. It’s not a manner of if. It won’t happen this year but at the end of 2021 :/

Is that the meter of success cause it didn't work with P. He won at places like Michigan, went to major bowl games and got run out of here after a 6 win season. Stop with the excuses that he almost won a game 3 years ago and won 10 game with a roster full of another coach's guys. Year 5, this is the house that Dino built, like it or not.
The way P was let go was wrong, but using the same criteria for Dino makes just as little sense. P was handed an established successful program that had won multiple consecutive bowl games prior to him getting the HC job. He ran it well for quite a while but was in a downward trajectory. Of course it wasn't all his fault with the way the administration ignored the program as the facilities arms race was heating up.

Dino was tasked with turning around an irrelevant program and flipping it from a loser to a winner. Is he infallible or above criticism? No, but his criteria for retension is not the same as P's.

This is INSANITY. Shortened offseason with two new coordinators, most of the offense/defense install was in fall camp because spring camp got cancelled. The defense showed incredible flashes of what it could be and got let down by the offense. Tackling on special teams returns was tough as you don't practice that thing live.

Tommy actually threw the ball away today, avoided pressure and had some nice scrambles. The OL has some major injuries and once again is the main thing holding us back. We were a few inches away from multiple TDs today. That's rust & timing.

I'm frustrated but let's be a bit realistic too. We lost to the #18 ranked team in the country on the road. #24 ISU lost to ULL at home by 17 today, Kansas State lost to Arkansas State at home today.

Only a couple are putting him there. but you cant look at that offensive playcalling and think everything was alright

IMO we've recruited a good QB in DeVito and at RB, but we've struggled at recruiting at the O-line and also the WR position. We've addressed those spots easily in this upcoming class but yeah unfortunately there's no immediate help.
This is the 4th year for TD, time to show he can play at this level as a starter, and not as a backup.

If I could like this a million times I would.

Only a couple are putting him there. but you cant look at that offensive playcalling and think everything was alright
Oh he’s not. We were texting for the entire game along with a couple other big time cuse fans who have frequented this board in the past.

It's game 1. I can look at the extenuating circumstances here and admit I'm not pleased. But an offensive install takes more than one fall camp to install. Let's not panic.
Im not panicking. im more just annoyed that we ran the ball 10 times out of 14 and we got more then 3 yards twice with one of those times coming against their second string in the next to last drive

And the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results... what’s your point?
The firing of the Head coach can also be included in the doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'm not happy with the results either but keep in mind, Coach mac's first 6 years against a far weaker schedule, 4-6-1 , 2-9 , 6-5 , 6-5, 7-5 , 5-6 It took the 7th year for things to get better. Syracuse is a tough job. We can't fire Dino. For one thing, we probably can't get anyone that had his track record pre Syracuse to come here right now. I know it is tough to be patient. But right now, I think it is our best bet.

Marrone won 2 out of his 4 years here. It can be done. With two bowl wins. With wins over ranked teams. With wins over BIG 10 teams. It can be done.

I knew Shafer wasn’t the guy. And I know Dino is not the guy. Great speaker. Lots of moxy. But won’t lead us. It’ll be one winning season out of 5.

We all want what’s best for SU football here. We unfortunately will reset. It’s not a manner of if. It won’t happen this year but at the end of 2021 :/

You're gonna compare the Big East to the ACC?

Babers Biggest issue appears to be his inability to turn his back on his first big quarterback recruit
how about his biggest issue is that he hasn't been successful in recruiting a better qb than his first big qb recruit. Do we really think that what is behind him is better?

how about his biggest issue is that he hasn't been successful in recruiting a better qb than his first big qb recruit. Do we really think that what is behind him is better?
Until we see them in a game I don't think we can say.

It's game 1. I can look at the extenuating circumstances here and admit I'm not pleased. But an offensive install takes more than one fall camp. Let's not panic.
Thats fair, I agree. Just frustrated at the run play and pass scheme. No doubt the OL, opt outs, lack of camp greatly effect that though.

Recruiting is the problem. If we had better players, coaching wouldn’t be an issue. Talent wins. SU has little. We read about all year all year and the projections say the same. For some reason, SU fans think everyone is wrong and we have better talent than people give us credit. We’re wrong. Talent is low level ACC.

are you that dense?

chasing results and not supporting quality is how you end up with robinson and shafer It’s a vicious cycle. Barbers is proven quality. Firing him would be the height of stupidity

He’s proven quality? What’s his overall record at SU, that includes blow out losses - quite a few and losses to some pretty low competition. Since he’s been here we’ve been atrocious on 3rd downs, both on offense and defense.

Where’s the quality? We’re starting to sound like Rutgers. We’ll still be talking about that 10 win season 12 years from now after a game we couldn’t score a TD... again and a 20-30 point loss.

6 points. Dino didn't go for it on 4th down 1 time(supposed to be his thing). He's shifted from the dynamic coach we hired and loved to another scared ACC let's play not to lose coach. IF you don't see that at this point then I don't know what to tell you. When you add in the lousy recruiting, lousy coordinators, etc it just points to a bad ending. He's been here 5 years. I didn't expect to win today, but I expected our offense to score more than a churn-and-burn Shafer offense would have. I don't have the answers but I was excited for all of about 1 quarter today. When we came away with zero points after driving to the 3 I wanted to cry.