I have high hopes for next year... | Syracusefan.com

I have high hopes for next year...

McNabb2Brominski

All Conference
I know we hear this every year, but I am confident next year is the year we break through...

1. Dungey's senior season (fingers crossed) he will be healthy for ALL games. If he is healthy all year, I believe he will be a top 5 QB in the country and fringe Heisman candidate.
2. Year 3 in Dino's system.
3. Added depth. Guys like Cordy, Black and Roberts will (presumably) be healthy.
4. Not such a gauntlet of a schedule next year.
5. In the event Dungey does go down (again) we have a QB in the waiting who is fit to run this offense.

I believe 7 or 8 wins is very doable...anything less than 6 wins will be an utter disappointment.

Looking forward to tasting the tears of ND fans next November in South Bend.

Talk to ya'll next August!

I know we hear this every year, but I am confident next year is the year we break through...

1. Dungey's senior season (fingers crossed) he will be healthy for ALL games. If he is healthy all year, I believe he will be a top 5 QB in the country and fringe Heisman candidate.
3. Added depth. Guys like Cordy, Black and Roberts will (presumably) be healthy.
5. In the event Dungey does go down (again) we have a QB in the waiting who is fit to run this offense.

I believe 7 or 8 wins is very doable...anything less than 6 wins will be an utter disappointment.

Realistically, which ACC teams are they going to beat?

I have my fingers crossed that dungey gets beat out. For all his heroics, his risk taking costs us more than it gains us over a full season. Just my opinion.

When Dino took this job I said he had a 2 year honeymoon period because the schedule was absolutely killer in year 2 and any coach needs more than 1 year so giving him 2 years to sort things out was fair. Well, the 2 year honeymoon is over starting today. Starting now he get's no more free passes and there are no more excuses he can use. There are zero moral victories next year either. He must win.

Next years schedule is no cake walk and only slightly easier than this years. Replace LSU with ND and that is a wash. The only difference is we don't have Miami and we get UNC instead. So its "1" game easier in my book. Dino has to win 6 games and go to a bowl next year. He just has to and if he doesn't then you have to sit down and think long and hard about what he is doing and why it isn't working and if you want to keep moving forward with him. But he MUST get to 6 wins next year.

Realistically, which ACC teams are they going to beat?

Pitt, Wake should take a step back and can easily lose Clawson, UNC, NC State, Louisville will take a step back.

I think 6 wins is possible, but 5 more likely.

I love the optimism but I would be happy with 6 wins. That would not be an utter disappointment; it would represent real progress in the W/L category. Lets look at these 2018 matchups WAY to early:

OOC: Wagner & UConn at home are obvious must wins. WMU on the road "should" be a win but it will be our first game. They did lose to a common opponent (CMU). Not ready to say we beat ND. 3-1 with a reasonable effort in South Bend would represent progress here.

ACC road games: BC, WF, Pitt & Clemson. Wake and Pitt now look like they have a bright future. Wake loses Wolford and their TE but not much else. Clemson is, well, Clemson. A road win will demonstrate progress against what we think these teams will be next year.

ACC Home Games: UNC, FSU, Louisville & NC State. I think NC State lose a decent amount, as well as Louisville losing the toughest QB in the country Jackson, yet both programs seem to have much better depth than we do. I can't imagine FSU doesn't come back really strong. Based on what we saw this year, UNC should be a win and maybe we get another. 2 wins at home against this group seems realistic to me.

With my math, we come out at 6-6. If BC or Pitt or Wake was down, then i would adjust my expectations. But I saw enough from those teams late in the season to say we have a LONG way to go to match them.

7 or 8 wins would show me more than just a regular 1 year jump. 6 wins seems to be a realistic goal that would show progress. Don't forget, most of these teams will have extra practices that we won't. It takes a lot just to get to that next step.

Pitt, Wake should take a step back and can easily lose Clawson, UNC, NC State, Louisville will take a step back.

Unfortunately THIS was the year I think 5 would have been palatable. A year 3 progression of 4-4-5... Meh

I don’t see 6 wins next year. We won’t be favored in any of the ACC home games and after watching Wake and BC kick the snot out of us, I can’t see us beating either of those two teams. When was the last time we won a game at Pitt? I don’t see any sure things on offense except at QB. Our best receivers are gone, we still have no running backs and I have to see some results from our offensive line before I can call them a strength of our team. Once again, Dungy is going to be forced to run the ball for us to be successful, which means we won’t see him in November for the fourth straight year. Our defensive line should be a strength and our safeties should be a lot better. We have a lot of question marks at linebacker and our d-backs showed again today they can’t cover or tackle. Babers “faith without evidence” is getting old.

I think it’s safe to say that

If Dungey starts every game next season and doesn’t miss time due to injuries, it would easily be the most surprising event of the year. Sure he’s tough but he’s also reckless at times.
If Dino wants to bowl next year, he really needs to make sure TD is prepared.

God I hope Dorian, Clawson or Petrino leave. We need one school to fall off significantly.

I have my fingers crossed that dungey gets beat out. For all his heroics, his risk taking costs us more than it gains us over a full season. Just my opinion.
Really, what did his heroics and risk taking cost us?

Imagine an offense without Ish and Erv helping to distract the defense from the rest of the offense. I like Moe but teams are going to load up the box and I don’t who we have to keep defenses honest.

Nobody is faked out by the bubble/screen pass. We barely threw to the middle of the field with two really good WR’s, so that’s less of an option next year. We don’t have a deep threat (deep threat means you have to catch the ball too, otherwise it’s not a “threat”). We don’t use the TE that much in the padding game. Our running game is not creative at all in most games.

So I’m not seeing where our offense is going to win games next year. And I’m not trying to sound like an @ss, these are serious questions. Who do we KNOW we have that’s going to at least make our offense the same as this year, not even talking about being better.

Really, what did his heroics and risk taking cost us?
Well for one a full season of a healthy starting QB...how many years now? Consistency would be nice. All I’m saying.

I'm worried about numerous positions on the field... I'm worried it could be a disaster but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's 7-5

I know that doesn't make sense. Just don't know what to expect.

Wake and NC State will be breaking in new QBs. Anybody know what they have behind their senior starters? Louisville may too if Jackson enters the draft.

Imagine an offense without Ish and Erv helping to distract the defense from the rest of the offense. I like Moe but teams are going to load up the box and I don’t who we have to keep defenses honest.

Nobody is faked out by the bubble/screen pass. We barely threw to the middle of the field with two really good WR’s, so that’s less of an option next year. We don’t have a deep threat (deep threat means you have to catch the ball too, otherwise it’s not a “threat”). We don’t use the TE that much in the padding game. Our running game is not creative at all in most games.

So I’m not seeing where our offense is going to win games next year. And I’m not trying to sound like an @ss, these are serious questions. Who do we KNOW we have that’s going to at least make our offense the same as this year, not even talking about being better.
I really think any improvement on offense will coincide with offensive line improvement. We get our best one back from injury and all of the young guys that played this year should get better. Throw in a couple highly rated guys coming in and I'm hoping for an upgrade. Everthing hinges on that. Getting yards from our RB's means Dungey can keep his jersey cleaner and makes our passing game more effective.

ED, Strickland Mo and most importantly a greatly improved OL. The O will be so much better next year because of our Line.

I told the coach on his show that in 1984 we beat #1 Nebraska but then lost 3 in a row and didn't go to a bowl. The next year we did and Coach mac recruited the class that really changed everything. They mostly red-shirted in 1986 and we struggled but when they took over in 1987, we went 11-0 and had 15 straight winning seasons. Absent any contrary knowledge, I'mm got with that as the scenario this time around: a bowl next year, the lass that really turns things around and about 2 years alter, watch out! I'm calling it "20-20 Vision".

UNC isn't going to be an easy win btw. They lost like 24 kids for the season this year. Not a gimmie

I love the optimism but I would be happy with 6 wins. That would not be an utter disappointment; it would represent real progress in the W/L category. Lets look at these 2018 matchups WAY to early:

OOC: Wagner & UConn at home are obvious must wins. WMU on the road "should" be a win but it will be our first game. They did lose to a common opponent (CMU). Not ready to say we beat ND. 3-1 with a reasonable effort in South Bend would represent progress here.

ACC road games: BC, WF, Pitt & Clemson. Wake and Pitt now look like they have a bright future. Wake loses Wolford and their TE but not much else. Clemson is, well, Clemson. A road win will demonstrate progress against what we think these teams will be next year.

ACC Home Games: UNC, FSU, Louisville & NC State. I think NC State lose a decent amount, as well as Louisville losing the toughest QB in the country Jackson, yet both programs seem to have much better depth than we do. I can't imagine FSU doesn't come back really strong. Based on what we saw this year, UNC should be a win and maybe we get another. 2 wins at home against this group seems realistic to me.

With my math, we come out at 6-6. If BC or Pitt or Wake was down, then i would adjust my expectations. But I saw enough from those teams late in the season to say we have a LONG way to go to match them.

7 or 8 wins would show me more than just a regular 1 year jump. 6 wins seems to be a realistic goal that would show progress. Don't forget, most of these teams will have extra practices that we won't. It takes a lot just to get to that next step.

Only reason UNC was this bad is because they were decimated by injuries. If you think we had it bad, go take a look at their injury list. At one point I think they had 15 guys out for the year or something crazy like that. They will be back next year. We get unlucky again when it comes to the schedule.

Edit: it was 25 guys out for the year . So, ya, when people think we are the only team effected by injuries just look at UNC and see how bad it can really get.

UNC is was loaded with talent this year, and will be next year. They had one of the most freakish injury problems this year. They played games missing 9 starters at key spot all year. They will most certainly not be as bad as they were this year.

UNC is was loaded with talent this year, and will be next year. They had one of the most freakish injury problems this year. They played games missing 9 starters at key spot all year. They will most certainly not be as bad as they were this year.

I understand that but they always seem to have a lot of talent that they don't do much with other than their great 2015 season. Seem to have 2+ freakish losses every year. We won't be favored but they aren't the 2013 FSU team.

you display all the optimism of the guy who just bought his lottery ticket but hasn't yet started scratching. well the odds are stacked heavily against you.
but enjoy the good feeling til next year !

Last edited: