I hope MSG was worth it for the B1G | Syracusefan.com

I hope MSG was worth it for the B1G

Attendance at MSG surprisingly good. Though ticket prices were depressed because of slack demand compared to Big East prices on Stub Hub. But Rutgers playing 3 games really helped since they had a lot of fans there for their games.

No alumni or fans in most of the B1G locales. JB on record as accepting the ACC but would’ve fought the B1G.
Alumni. Lol. are they going to be at Barclays?

No alumni or fans in most of the B1G locales. JB on record as accepting the ACC but would’ve fought the B1G.
How many ACC locales have a large number of alumni/fans?

Well represented here in the Carolinas

And Atlanta and Florida and Boston. The only Big 10 city that would have a solid cuse presence would be Chicago.

And Atlanta and Florida and Boston. The only Big 10 city that would have a solid cuse presence would be Chicago.
What constitutes solid? For the most part, Big 10 schools are in college towns. That doesn't mean they're inaccessible to alumni/fans from Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, DC, Philly, and St. Louis.

What constitutes solid? For the most part, Big 10 schools are in college towns. That doesn't mean they're inaccessible to alumni/fans from Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, DC, Philly, and St. Louis.

Syracuse draws the majority of its students from the northeast and the majority of its alumni live on the east coast. It's only natural that there would be far more Syracuse fans near ACC teams instead of Big 10 teams.

Aside from Illinois and Ohio, traditional Big 10 country SU alumni population is pretty sparse. The overwhelming majority of alumni are located in the Northeast and down the East Coast.

Otto-man Empire grows in latest SU alumni release

Syracuse draws the majority of its students from the northeast and the majority of its alumni live on the east coast. It's only natural that there would be far more Syracuse fans near ACC teams instead of Big 10 teams.
How many schools are we really talking about, though? BC, Pitt, UVA and Miami? I'm not convinced the number of alumni in the Carolinas is significantly greater than those in Chicago and other Midwest cities, if at all.

Don't get me wrong, I preferred the Big 10 for selfish reasons. Louisville and Notre Dame are the only ACC schools within a reasonable driving distance, while there are seven such schools from the Big 10. Still, if your concern is travel, I don't think it's as big of a difference as you're making it out to be. Right off the bat you have Penn State and Maryland, both of whom would make for great rivals (better than BC/Pitt/UVA IMO). All it takes is a short flight to Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland to get you close to most of the Big 10. If anything, it extends our footprint at the expense of Miami, but that's what we had for the last several years of the Big East anyway.

How many schools are we really talking about, though? BC, Pitt, UVA and Miami? I'm not convinced the number of alumni in the Carolinas is significantly greater than those in Chicago and other Midwest cities, if at all.

Don't get me wrong, I preferred the Big 10 for selfish reasons. Louisville and Notre Dame are the only ACC schools within a reasonable driving distance, while there are seven such schools from the Big 10. Still, if your concern is travel, I don't think it's as big of a difference as you're making it out to be. Right off the bat you have Penn State and Maryland, both of whom would make for great rivals (better than BC/Pitt/UVA IMO). All it takes is a short flight to Chicago, Detroit, or Cleveland to get you close to most of the Big 10. If anything, it extends our footprint at the expense of Miami, but that's what we had for the last several years of the Big East anyway.
The Carolinas/Georgia/Florida might as well be "Southern NY". Pick a city in any of those states and you'll find a ton of Cuse fans/alumni. Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami etc.. We obviously have fans in the Mid-Atlantic and NE. The ACC is far and away, location-wise, the best fit for Syracuse if we're talking about fan/alumni hot beds.

Aside from Illinois and Ohio, traditional Big 10 country SU alumni population is pretty sparse. The overwhelming majority of alumni are located in the Northeast and down the East Coast.

Otto-man Empire grows in latest SU alumni release
Thanks for sharing that map. I stand somewhat corrected on the Carolinas. Still mostly a wash with those Midwestern states, though. And what about the next round of expansion? If the Big 10 were to add Texas, that would open things up for our alumni from that state. If there's a way for the conference to circumvent the grant of rights deal and add Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State or Miami, that would bring in some of what would have been lost by not joining the ACC in the first place.

The Carolinas/Georgia/Florida might as well be "Southern NY". Pick a city in any of those states and you'll find a ton of Cuse fans/alumni. Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Miami etc.. We obviously have fans in the Mid-Atlantic and NE. The ACC is far and away, location-wise, the best fit for Syracuse if we're talking about fan/alumni hot beds.
Let's leave out Florida for a second, which we already sacrificed when Miami left the Big East (no one really cared about South Florida). The number of alumni in North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia is roughly the same as Illinois/Ohio/Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana.

Thanks for sharing that map. I stand somewhat corrected on the Carolinas. Still mostly a wash with those Midwestern states, though. And what about the next round of expansion? If the Big 10 were to add Texas, that would open things up for our alumni from that state. If there's a way for the conference to circumvent the grant of rights deal and add Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State or Miami, that would bring in some of what would have been lost by not joining the ACC in the first place.

You have a very interesting perspective that you steadfastly refuse to cloud with messy things like facts. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue have very few Syracuse fans near the schools. I’d add in Michigan and Michigan State as having few alumni around. That’s half the Big Ten.

Attendance at MSG surprisingly good. Though ticket prices were depressed because of slack demand compared to Big East prices on Stub Hub. But Rutgers playing 3 games really helped since they had a lot of fans there for their games.

The problem for the Big Ten is success was never going to be measured by MSG attendance; this was all about increasing presence in NYC. As noted, this has been an almost invisible tourney - they did not get the intense coverage I think they wanted/needed for this to be a success.

It’s pretty obvious the Big Ten views this as a disaster since they were trying to put lipstick on this pig in press conferences a week ago before the first game even tipped off.

You have a very interesting perspective that you steadfastly refuse to cloud with messy things like facts. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Purdue have very few Syracuse fans near the schools. I’d add in Michigan and Michigan State as having few alumni around. That’s half the Big Ten.
The fact of the matter is Chicago is within a reasonable driving distance (under six hours) of most of the Big 10. Like I said, the Midwest is a wash with the Carolinas and Georgia. The northeastern fans don't really lose anything.

One last thing for tonight: The alumni map isn't why I said we should be in the Big 10. We would be more competitive for one. We'd probably be the third place team this year, no worse than fifth. There just aren't that many teams to worry about compared to the ACC, and it's been that way for a while. Then there's recruiting. While JB probably wouldn't be up for it, our next coach could mine prospects in Detroit and Chicago.

And, of course, more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom