I just don’t understand Dino sometimes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I just don’t understand Dino sometimes

Had a top 15 finish.
That was a fantastic year and A LOT of fun. However it should not be shocking to anyone that, despite one good season, many fans are not willing to give Babers too much more rope. Along w questionable strategic moves in a handful of games and a few times where the team, and he himself, have seemed to give up... there is also the record and the scoring differential.

Overall record at SU: 24-31
Scoring differential at SU: -153

Eliminating the Colgate, Cent Conn St, Wagner and Holy Cross games... I was unable to eliminate Liberty, because well, we lost to them so it’s hard to say they are “not in our league.”

Record: 20-31
Scoring diff. -312

Also, let’s compare ourselves to Pitt and BC, as they are our old Big East rivals and face a lot of the same realities that we do:

Record: 3-6
Scoring diff. -67

Last edited:
You lied. And you’re mad that you got caught.

Busybodies who only come here to bitch about the coach after every loss are annoying.
Maybe when the dome opens up for the fans you can roll out the red carpet for Dino to walk out on the field. It could be a magical moment for you.

Maybe when the dome opens up for the fans you can roll out the red carpet for Dino to walk out on the field. It could be a magical moment for you.

Maybe you can try to sneak into the next practice with Ned and Kip, and then hit the local diner for the next 4 hours to bitch about Dino when he kicks you out? Call the people on the board Of education to air your expert complaints? Maybe throw a brick through his window if he keeps losing?

Maybe you can try to sneak into the next practice with Ned and Kip, and then hit the local diner for the next 4 hours to bitch about Dino when he kicks you out? Call the people on the board Of education to air your expert complaints? Maybe throw a brick through his window if he keeps losing?
Who's Ned and Kip?

Who's Ned and Kip?

hqdefault.jpg.cf.jpg

There are "3-star" true freshman playing/starting at FBS schools this year already. Ive seen them play.

The guys aren't ready line is tired already. If they arent ready, get them ready. Thats what you make millions of dollars to do.

To continue to only let Rex play meaningful snaps in this lost season would be an indefensible decision imo.

You talking about QB's or true freshman overall?

Here is what true freshman QB's have started in the Power 5 (ignoring 1 game worth of Big 10). Notice, only one 3 star that wasn't an early enrollee has started (unless I missed something, which is certainly possible).

This is a unique year for prep, hard to get your true freshman ready to go, especially if they didn't enroll early.

SEC
Ken Seals (Vanderbilt) - early enrollee - 3 star
- Record in Starts: 0-3

TJ Finley (LSU) - early enrollee - 3 star
- Record in Starts: 1-0

ACC
Jeff Sims (Georgia Tech) - early enrollee - 4 star
- Record in Starts: 2-4

Big 12
Shane Illingworth (Oklahoma State) - early enrollee - 4 star
- Record in Starts: 2-0? Maybe better, don't feel like checking every box to see when he started when Sanders was hurt

Will Howard (Kansas State) - early enrollee - 3 star
- Record in Starts: 2-0

Jalon Daniels (Kansas) - 3 star
- 0-3

Once upon a time...not too long ago there was a little known recruit from the very beautiful and scenic state of Oregon that wanted to play qb. So, he came clear across the country to get a shot at a private school that gave him the opportunity to do so, and this private school, believe it or not, played in a P5 conference to boot. As a true frosh, somehow this unheralded, and slender of build at the time, got on the football field. Additionally, somehow, he showed signs, as a true frosh, real potential. I can't recall whatever became of that fellow, but perhaps some of the experts here can enlighten me.

Last edited:
I'm sure it must have been mentioned, but I can't believe he didn't ask for an appeal of the the spot, just before the 4th and one play. It looked like we had the first down, and then he calls timeout, so he would have had a free appeal. He then comes out and punts!! When you're a 45 point underdog, you have to gamble a bit when the opportunity presents itself. Fourth and inches, down six late in the third quarter was such an opportunity. It was a wasted one.

Once upon a time...not too long ago there was a little known recruit from the very beautiful and scenic state of Oregon that wanted to play qb. So, he came clear across the country to get a shot at a private school that gave him the opportunity to do so, and this private school, believe it or not, played in a P5 conference to boot. As a true frosh, somehow this unheralded, and slender of build at the time, got on the football field. Additionally, somehow, he showed signs, as a true frosh, real potential. I can't recall whatever became of that fellow, but perhaps some of the experts here can enlighten me.

He has a desk job like the rest of us.

I'm sure it must have been mentioned, but I can't believe he didn't ask for an appeal of the the spot, just before the 4th and one play. It looked like we had the first down, and then he calls timeout, so he would have had a free appeal. He then comes out and punts!! When you're a 45 point underdog, you have to gamble a bit when the opportunity presents itself. Fourth and inches, down six late in the third quarter was such an opportunity. It was a wasted one.
like the coaches say.. every play is reviewed so they dont ask when there is clearly time.. though if i called a TO why not force them to look because who believes they really do look? too many get missed.

More money is not going to help bad play calling and game management. That is all on Dino's coaching knowledge. Until he wins with his players, which he has NEVER done at any of his head coaching gigs, it is hard to crown him the best coach ever at SU. So many fans on this forum just rather make excuses for his lack of wins.
Really good players make coaching decisions easier and make coach's play calling look better. How many people does Etienne make miss or outrun? How often does Lawrence make a great play with the rush bearing down on him or how often do one of his recievers make a play on a 50/50 ball? Players matter and more money certainly helps get players. And being located closer to those players helps too. Dabo stepped into a solid program that had not had a season with a losing record under his predecessor and was regularly ranked and going to bowls. In the 20 years before Dabo took over they had 3 losing records. His situation from the start was light years better than what Dino stepped into. He didn't have to build anything. He was able to take an already really good base and upgrade it. Even then he had 7 losses in his second full season and had a reputation for whisky tango foxtrot losses until about 5 years ago. Comparing Dabo to Dino is stupid. Dino is having ups and downs as he tries to build something that hasn't existed here in a very long time. There's a reason our resident Clemson poster frequently says he wants Dino if Dabo ever goes to Alabama.

More money is not going to help bad play calling and game management. That is all on Dino's coaching knowledge. Until he wins with his players, which he has NEVER done at any of his head coaching gigs, it is hard to crown him the best coach ever at SU. So many fans on this forum just rather make excuses for his lack of wins.

This is a dumb argument. All new coaches inherit players from previous coaches. Marrone inherited Nassib.

“Crowning” Dino is silly and is not the question we should be asking.

Really good players make coaching decisions easier and make coach's play calling look better. How many people does Etienne make miss or outrun? How often does Lawrence make a great play with the rush bearing down on him or how often do one of his recievers make a play on a 50/50 ball? Players matter and more money certainly helps get players. And being located closer to those players helps too. Dabo stepped into a solid program that had not had a season with a losing record under his predecessor and was regularly ranked and going to bowls. In the 20 years before Dabo took over they had 3 losing records. His situation from the start was light years better than what Dino stepped into. He didn't have to build anything. He was able to take an already really good base and upgrade it. Even then he had 7 losses in his second full season and had a reputation for whisky tango foxtrot losses until about 5 years ago. Comparing Dabo to Dino is stupid. Dino is having ups and downs as he tries to build something that hasn't existed here in a very long time. There's a reason our resident Clemson poster frequently says he wants Dino if Dabo ever goes to Alabama.
Who was comparing Dino and Dabo? It's funny how stuff always gets added to the original post.

You are pointing out difference that had nothing to do with the original post. In that post it was said that QBs won't be played because they are freshmen and if they do they won't be throwing. I was just pointing out it was the opposite for clemson.
Not sure if you recall this or not but Clemson was ahead by 26 points and really could afford to get 1 through 3 hurt at every position and still out talent anyone in the ACC...

So there's that...

Who was comparing Dino and Dabo? It's funny how stuff always gets added to the original post.
You were. Read your previous posts.

Edit: I'll help you out, post #16. That was the first one I responded to.

At least he's using the timeouts. Sometimes when there was just a timeout, like, for example, a quarter ending.

Can't recall if I've ever seen us use a timeout to start the 4th quarter.

i would say during the coach P era but we’d always burn our timeouts before we got to the start of the 4th quarter. Never saw a team have to burn more TOs on offense then during the P/ Deleone regime

and if you decide to punt, take the delay of game rather than wasting a timeout.

I think posters are agreeing that the system is not as complicated as Dino wants fans to believe or that it should be simplified to get the freshman some opportunities. I just to not believe Dino will make a change.
How do you spell stubborn?

As much as I want to see what Morgan can do, he and the receivers have to be on the same page,,,,,and that comes with practice reps. Dino needs to fast track this situation going forward .