I know it's nitpicking.. | Syracusefan.com

I know it's nitpicking..

sufandu

Living Legend
... but why do announcers keep saying CM is our highest rated recruit since Carmelo Anthony? At the very least, wasn't Donte Greene rated higher by everyone? And Chris wasn't a McDonald's All-American, while we've had a bunch that were. Am I missing something or are these guys just doing the typical talking head exaggeration?

He was not a MCDAA because of his somewhat complicated high school career... including a period last year where he actually was not enrolled in any high school.

He was not a MCDAA because of his somewhat complicated high school career... including a period last year where he actually was not enrolled in any high school.
Ok, I can see that. Even so, wasn't he ranked somewhere in the 20-30 range by everyone, while Greene was a consensus top 10 guy? I know it doesn't matter in regards to anything, but I don't like when people unnecessarily exaggerate things, especially when they're paid to be informed.

Greene, Harris, Waiters, Devendorf, Coleman, Flynn, and Fab Melo were all highly rated and similarly rated to McCullough.

These guys all just latch onto something and repeat it, whether it's true or not.

Greene, Harris, Waiters, Devendorf, Coleman, Flynn, and Fab Melo were all highly rated and similarly rated to McCullough.

These guys all just latch onto something and repeat it, whether it's true or not.

Agreed. Christmas also was highly rated and in that mix. MCW made a huge jump to McDs from his junior to senior year and could be considered in that mix as well.

Bingo!

I don't care who is our highest or lowest rated recruit. I just want them to play well and gel as a team. And they will. Let the announcers talk.

Either way, wouldn't it be Paul Harris?

Edit: How depressing is that?
I don't know if it's depressing, but it certainly shows how difficult it can be to project guys from high school to college once you get past the truly elite.

So was Christmas. People forget that he was the #1 center in his class.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Boeheim himself who called CMac his biggest recruit since Carmelo Anthony? I'm not a fan of most of the media, but I'll defend even my enemy in the interest of fairness.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Boeheim himself who called CMac his biggest recruit since Carmelo Anthony? I'm not a fan of most of the media, but I'll defend even my enemy in the interest of fairness.
Maybe, but I think everything JB says recently about incoming freshman should be taken with a grain of salt, especially since we know he loves hyperbole. I believe he also said Fab Melo was going to be freshman of the year.