I like our current offense better | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I like our current offense better

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2015-12-4_23-26-43.png

billsin01 said:
Gotta have talent and beat good schools for that talent. Couldn't agree more. But we never have, for as long as I've been a fan, had classes loads with 4- and 5-star kids. I just think it's really hard here for a variety of reasons. We need talent but it's not often going to come in the form of 5-star or even 4-star kids. Have to win with 3-stars here for the most part.

The only other time in our history we had that kind of talent was when we were on the forefront of offensive football. It can be done. It will take time and wins, but it's not as crazy as you think.

I didn't see any plays we haven't seen before. MacDonald's bubble screens and crossing routes with Lester's runs up the middle. I think they abandoned part of their offense because it wasn't working early and kept going with what was working. In another game we might have seen more. I think how you package the plays, when you call them, how well you execute them and the pace you maintain are the real differences between a Baylor or Oregon type offense and what we've seen from MaDonald and Lester. Football has been around for 100+ years and there aren't that many plays you can "invent at this stage.

I was more impressed with their running game and defense. it was actually kind of an old fashioned game. And it might have bene a much closer one but NIU was having the same luck with quarterback injuries we've been having.

Still, I like Babers a lot and hope to hear his name announced as our new coach by Monday.

428 yards in 3 quarters.

Yeah, who wants that?!
Exactly! Dino understands offense and how to get yards and points and understands the modern game of football we live in. He understands this "era" we are currently in. Not sure I can say the same about Lester in all honesty.

While I didn't watch the whole game Lester's offense was similar to Babers w/o the inside jet sweep runs. I would think it would be a much easier learning curve for our guys to run his offense. That alone is worth a few extra bucks...

At times the inside jet sweep was a very good play as Irv had a running start to blast through the hole....

428 yards in 3 quarters.

Yeah, who wants that?!
Kind of funny, the first play I saw was the pick-six. I thought to myself " this looks like it'll work well here."

not a big fan of all the wide throws tendency for pick six and lost yards...our defense and injuries on O were the issue this year, not style of offense. The one positive is the in game play calling seems better, Shafer played afraid on offense.

Then you must have appreciated NIUs game plan, a power running game centered on the helmet of the QB. That reminded me an awful lot of what I saw from Dungey this year, Fiedler is lucky he can still spell his own name after last night.

Every college team run similar plays they just have different ways of doing it. Babers have alot more variations in the run game. They run alot of counter and power plays. Lester never developed that in the offense. We had 3 sometimes 4 lineman with experience, we should had been able to run those types of plays. The main difference is that Babers offense executes better, plays faster and has more deception to it. The hardest thing for a defense is to determine what plays are coming. The play calling is alot better than lester's. Babers offense is designed to keep you guessing not by trick plays just execution and following through on play action. The run plays look like pass plays because the QB carries out the throwing motion after each hand off. There's also alot of run/pass options within a play. Defenses struggle against them because they have a short amount of time to determine if its run or pass. Babers is also smart enough to know he needs packages under center. They can punch you in the mouth in those tight sets too.

Every college team run similar plays they just have different ways of doing it. Babers have alot more variations in the run game. They run alot of counter and power plays. Lester never developed that in the offense. We had 3 sometimes 4 lineman with experience, we should had been able to run those types of plays. The main difference is that Babers offense executes better, plays faster and has more deception to it. The hardest thing for a defense is to determine what plays are coming. The play calling is alot better than lester's. Babers offense is designed to keep you guessing not by trick plays just execution and following through on play action. The run plays look like pass plays because the QB carries out the throwing motion after each hand off. There's also alot of run/pass options within a play. Defenses struggle against them because they have a short amount of time to determine if its run or pass. Babers is also smart enough to know he needs packages under center. They can punch you in the mouth in those tight sets too.
We saw only a portion of the BG offense last night. They had a smash mouth game plan for NIU and they would look a lot different against other teams. Last night they were 42% to 58% pass/run ratio (37 passes and 54 runs). That is much different than their normal 54% pass 46% run for the season.

DB (I hate writing his name like that), is maybe one of the few coaches other than the ones we can't afford that says, I take what the defense gives me and then actually goes out and does it on the field. We've heard that so many times and then never see the offense do it or completely unable to execute it.

Last night DB took what the defense gave him. They ran the ball a lot more than I expected (1st half, missed a lot of 2nd half) which I was fine with. I don't care if we run or pass first as long as we score and win. But DB literally called a great gameplan based on what the defense was doing.

What I liked the most was the BG offense didn't execute perfectly the whole game. Easily could have put up close to 50. Might be a crazy thing to say but our offensive players aren't going to execute perfectly at first. If BG can win big games with WR's dropping balls, some bad throws at times, etc. there is no reason our offense can't put some points on the board from day 1. IMO.

We saw only a portion of the BG offense last night. They had a smash mouth game plan for NIU and they would look a lot different against other teams. Last night they were 42% to 58% pass/run ratio (37 passes and 54 runs). That is much different than their normal 54% pass 46% run for the season.
Shouldn't THAT alone make us all excited!!! The fact that he can take his team in his conference championship game, and completely swap the pass/run ratio and still dominate in offense.

I am so fudging excited. I was happy with the Shafer hire because I thought continuity would help the team and that would make up for the shortcomings of an on-the-job learning experience for Shafer. It did not.

not a big fan of all the wide throws tendency for pick six and lost yards...our defense and injuries on O were the issue this year, not style of offense. The one positive is the in game play calling seems better, Shafer played afraid on offense.
Yeah, I'm not sure. I kind of prefer the offense that is ranked #1 in overall offense, and averages 43 points per game, as opposed to the one that is ranked 118th, and averages 27.3 points per game. Then again, maybe I'm crazy. :bat:

Gotta have talent and beat good schools for that talent. Couldn't agree more. But we never have, for as long as I've been a fan, had classes loads with 4- and 5-star kids. I just think it's really hard here for a variety of reasons. We need talent but it's not often going to come in the form of 5-star or even 4-star kids. Have to win with 3-stars here for the most part.
That's why this hire is so good. Scheme based offense to counter superior athleticism. Baylor, TCU, Navy, Ga Tech. Baylor is just now starting to reap the recruiting rewards that the previous years have sown. Baylor became successful in the Big 12 using the Briles offense while using mostly 3 star recruits, and classes that ranked very similar to our classes in the 40's-50 range.

This thread is insane.

Literally and figuratively insane.

SU had 400+ yards of offense once this year.

Bowling Green racked up *500+* yards of offense in every game they played this year save for one, including when they played Tennessee, Memphis, Maryland and Purdue.

But yeah, it's all the same.

I didn't see any plays we haven't seen before. MacDonald's bubble screens and crossing routes with Lester's runs up the middle. I think they abandoned part of their offense because it wasn't working early and kept going with what was working. In another game we might have seen more. I think how you package the plays, when you call them, how well you execute them and the pace you maintain are the real differences between a Baylor or Oregon type offense and what we've seen from MaDonald and Lester. Football has been around for 100+ years and there aren't that many plays you can "invent at this stage.

I was more impressed with their running game and defense. it was actually kind of an old fashioned game. And it might have bene a much closer one but NIU was having the same luck with quarterback injuries we've been having.

Still, I like Babers a lot and hope to hear his name announced as our new coach by Monday.
Yeah, no difference except that his Wr's blocked aggressively and effectively. That make a HUGE difference.

This thread is insane.

Literally and figuratively insane.

SU had 400+ yards of offense once this year.

Bowling Green racked up *500+* yards of offense in every game they played this year save for one, including when they played Tennessee, Memphis, Maryland and Purdue.

But yeah, it's all the same.
Our last game of the season featured less than 100 yards passing between both teams. People thinks that's normal.

BG looked like Syracuse west with a few more east/west throws .Lane O Stats
http://cuse.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2015& Good to see a Tight end and Fullback on the field though in this new High powered Art Briles offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom