I like the opening rounds draw | Syracusefan.com

I like the opening rounds draw

Love our Buffalo draw.

As long as Embiid doesn't come back I like our chances vs. KU. They have issues at PG.

Remember Parker vs. our the zone first time? He looked like a lost puppy; hopefully the same happens to Wiggins.

The glass half-full:

Play OK and beat a MAC team.

Let C.J. and Baye exact some 2012 revenge on Ohio State.

Play a nine-loss Big XII team.

Coin-flip in the regional final, hope we play like we did against Nova or Duke.

Doable.

I agree except the following:
Ohio state in 2nd game in 3 days.
Flordia in the 2nd game in 3 days.
..with our depth...
Basically, it's been my fear all year long.

..with our depth...
Even teams who have depth shorten the bench in the NCAA Tournament. The commercial time outs are significantly longer. It is painfully obvious when you are at the games live. Being tired and lack of depth is low on my list of concerns with this team right now. Complete lack of offensive production for 25+ games this season (even when we were winning) is my biggest concern.

Last edited:
..with our depth...
osu is average at best imo. if we cant beat them we dont deserve to be a part of 2nd weekend

Kenpom has W. Mich. 3rd of the four 14seeds so not especially scary; although they are better than BC (but who isn't).
Ohio St. is the strongest 6, maybe by a lot? Still if we can't beat them in Buffalo what do we really deserve.
Kansas is obviously a wildcard. I'd say they're about par for a 2 or possibly worse given Embiid's status.
Florida, uhh, good luck if we play them.

I'd say overall it's a pretty average draw overall. One thing I like is the obstacles in Florida's & Kansas' way. Pitt, VCU/UCLA, or New Mex. could do some of our dirty work. We're due to get a bracket open up like that for once.

Kenpom has W. Mich. 3rd of the four 14seeds so not especially scary; although they are better than BC (but who isn't).
Ohio St. is the strongest 6, maybe by a lot? Still if we can't beat them in Buffalo what do we really deserve.
Kansas is obviously a wildcard. I'd say they're about par for a 2 or possibly worse given Embiid's status.
Florida, uhh, good luck if we play them.

I'd say overall it's a pretty average draw overall. One thing I like is the obstacles in Florida's & Kansas' way. Pitt, VCU/UCLA, or New Mex. could do some of our dirty work. We're due to get a bracket open up like that for once.
WVU is not better than BC. Look up BC's schedule.

Always something I like to see; they and the SEC aren't as defensive-minded as our usual opponents. Could loosen things up for us.
Great point. The ACC was a defensive juggernaut if you look at defensive rankings and the style of play.

Ohio State might be solid defensively but they also can't score.

The glass half-full:

Play OK and beat a MAC team.

Let C.J. and Baye exact some 2012 revenge on Ohio State.

Play a nine-loss Big XII team.

Coin-flip in the regional final, hope we play like we did against Nova or Duke.

Doable.

I get that Kansas has played a tough schedule, but I do not get, for the life of me, how a 9 loss team gets a 2 seed!

Jasonrob44 said:
I get that Kansas has played a tough schedule, but I do not get, for the life of me, how a 9 loss team gets a 2 seed!

Strength of schedule.

But I still think a 2 seed is a reach.

But it's good for us if we get that far.

Strength of schedule.

But I still think a 2 seed is a reach.

But it's good for us if we get that far.

Like I said...I get the strength of schedule argument. But if they were good and worthy of a 2 seed, shouldn't they have won more of those 9 games? I've never seen a good 9 loss team. I think they got that seed based on being Kansas.

I had a dream about 4 months ago that we lost to Kansas in the tournament; that's about the only thing worrying me right now.

Like I said...I get the strength of schedule argument. But if they were good and worthy of a 2 seed, shouldn't they have won more of those 9 games? I've never seen a good 9 loss team. I think they got that seed based on being Kansas.

To play devils advocate, they played like 20 games against the top 50, which is unheard of. A lot of teams would gave a similar record against that schedule.

To play devils advocate, they played like 20 games against the top 50, which is unheard of. A lot of teams would gave a similar record against that schedule.

I'm not so sure... if you're good, you don't lose 9 games. I can see a 3 or 4 seed based on schedule, but a 2? What did they do to deserve that?

I'm not so sure... if you're good, you don't lose 9 games. I can see a 3 or 4 seed based on schedule, but a 2? What did they do to deserve that?

They have 12 wins against the top 50.

Yeah, for once we have nothing to complain about. If we can win two games, it will likely mean our game is back, and we can beat anyone after that.

Love our Buffalo draw.

As long as Embiid doesn't come back I like our chances vs. KU. They have issues at PG.

Remember Parker vs. our the zone first time? He looked like a lost puppy; hopefully the same happens to Wiggins.
We can't shot 31% again if we tried, I would hope. But for the life of me, don't understand the last 12 games after such a great start, maybe JB wanted to surprise everyone at the tournament with a new look!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom