I really couldn't be any more disappointed | Syracusefan.com

I really couldn't be any more disappointed

I said to the Nunes beat writer that this was a NIT team preseason and I'm standing my ground there. If they make the NCAAs, it will have been one of Boeheim's better jobs. They aren't good.

We just have no ability to get to the rim outside of Hughes - and his penetration game is nothing special - offense consists of jacking threes - then we have absolutely zero transition game - should I comment on our rebounding? certainly we are better than Bucknell and certainly we aint going to the tourney

The silver lining is that you have to have expectations in order for the team to disappoint. If the last few years have taught me anything, it’s to go into games with absolutely zero thoughts that anything remotely good could possibly happen.

I fear that every Syracuse game against P5 competition will be akin to a 14 playing a 3 in the NCAA tourney. We will have a shot if we can get hot but we lack athleticism and strength to hang on a consistent level. I’d like nothing more than to be wrong.

we have 2 central ny guards playing 35 + minutes . one is a major project and 1 is the coaches son.
enjoy the local connections and feel good stories. . speaks volumes to our recruiting efforts. small pond.

I heard Gerry on the radio a couple nights ago calling Marek “elite”. This kid needs to step up bottom line. He’s here one game gone the next. He’s a jr with a ton of basketball under him. If he doesn’t become more assertive offensively we’re in trouble. No words for buddy either. If those 2 even played mediocre it’s a different game. Grow and move forward hopefully.

I heard Gerry on the radio a couple nights ago calling Marek “elite”. This kid needs to step up bottom line. He’s here one game gone the next. He’s a jr with a ton of basketball under him. If he doesn’t become more assertive offensively we’re in trouble. No words for buddy either. If those 2 even played mediocre it’s a different game. Grow and move forward hopefully.

He had 3 drives that I thought he should have just dunked the ball. He's not explosive this year, and feels like he's gotten softer in there.

yep. it was those two specifically tonight for me. just inexcusable how poorly/weak/tentative they both played. I really do believe especially Marek, like you say, is capable of so much more

I’m numb to it and have no expectations for this program at this point. I just don’t see the future being much better, which is what’s upsetting.

talent is subpar, the system is stale, coaching is bad and so on. It’s hard to see us winning enough ACC games to finish over .500but you never know.

Been an SU fan for longer than the JB era. Can never remember a stretch like the last 2-3 years (particularly this year) where we are completely out-manned by many of our opponents. It's like we became a mid-major in the blink of an eye.

This team will be a very good team, they will make their shots, they are young, and have lots of talent.
I had been going with that - but seeing how they tried to play defense tonight, against a mediocre-at-best offensive team, and how utterly soft they were - I'm afraid it's more than making shots

No disrespect obviously, I just have no idea why folks are too disappointed or expected too much from this team. I have been watching Syracuse basketball for over 30 years and it has been clear as day to me this is one of the least talented teams (maybe the least) I can remember. You can still win with the zone and great teamwork without elite talent. Maybe that will happen here, but don't hold your breath.

Three possessions in i got knots in my stomach. We literally couldn’t maintain our dribble long enough to advance the ball inside our offensive hash mark.

We cannot beat anyone off the dribble to punish overplaying defenders. Good strong guards play through those hand checks. Our guys get sped up and get off balance.

Hughes is the only guy who is a typical SU starter.

Defensively we can’t rebound well enough to finish off stops. And our transition defense is laughable. People cry about Girard not being able to stop the break, but at least he’s back there...all 5-10 of him.

Buddy is Matt Roe. He’s fine if you surround him with athletes, and he gets a lot of open looks because you have to contain other players off the bounce. But people are playing us straight up and not giving our guards an inch. That’s not going to change.

If we aren’t able to screen and cut and run our motion offense, we have no shot. None. Nada.

There’s no post offense and no guard penetration. So you end up with desperation heaves and bad shot selection because there’s not much to defend.

We have good shooters. Really good shooters. But they can’t good shots against good defenders. Bad shooting pcts aren’t because they can’t shoot. They can’t get open.

We have 4 role players starting. Getting 17 wins will be an absolute miracle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom