I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes... | Syracusefan.com

I really think the standing and clapping hurts us sometimes...

JohnCuse44

Starter
And I fully expect to take a lot of flack for this post.

How many minutes did the crowd stand and clap in the start of the 2nd half? How many rushed shots did you see our team try seeming to desperately just want the crowd to be able to sit down and relax. The same with the players they can't seem to settle in and play relaxed until we hit the first FG of the game it seems to me that sometimes it just adds pressure and anxiety to the team especially when it goes much longer than 2 minutes or so. The anticipation just seems to build and build and you know it has to affect the team.

Don't get me wrong I love tradition and I am sure nothing anyone says will stop it. But it just seems to me in some games it hurts more then it helps.

facepalm.jpg

I think we should stand and jingle our keys for 8 minutes instead after Shaq gives a sponsored halftime drinking and driving talk. They will never know what hit them.

It's the most stupid tradition we do. Only half the dome claps. When we don't score quickly It turns into groans, and worst of all the place goes absolutely silent after the first basket as everyone tries to find their seat, grab their nachos and beer, etc.

No point discussing it because like the jingling keys it is here forever.

Yeah ... I'm not a big fan of it either. I've stood there before and clapped 'til my hands hurt, it seems to add pressure at times when that's the last thing you need to do. Besides, since they've moved to the dome it's near impossible to get everyone to clap in unison anyway, the dome is just too big and echoey.

I'd rather see the clapping ditched, keep the standing though. And while the other team if on offense just have the whole crowd yell their asses off until we get the ball back. Then they could quiet down and when the bucket comes it will make way for a loud thunderous cheer.

Its never to late to start a new tradition.

It's the most stupid tradition we do. Only half the dome claps. When we don't score quickly It turns into groans, and worst of all the place goes absolutely silent after the first basket as everyone tries to find their seat, grab their nachos and beer, etc.

No point discussing it because like the jingling keys it is here forever.

Aside from standing and clapping what other traditions do we have?

Let's go orange, the hey song, defense clap clap defense, scooooop, "who cares" etc that only some students seem to do.

This is the only one that is even remotely unique to us. I know uconn does it but i assume they stole it from us. Announcers comment on it before every game and it comes off as being in unison on tv. It's also fun to do at away games.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Let's go orange, the hey song, defense clap clap defense, scooooop, "who cares" etc that only some students seem to do.

This is the only one that is even remotely unique to us. I know uconn does it but i assume they stole it from us. Announcers comment on it before every game and it comes off as being in unison on tv. It's also fun to do at away games.

Well, we stole it too. When we played in the Lobo Classic in December, 1977, their fans stood and clapped. Joe Gallagher, who was the Assistant AD for Marketing back then, thought it was cool and the rest is history.

Ha! That's true, we really don't have any other traditions

Wow. Someone actually went there...

I think Yankee pitchers feel distracted when the bleacher creatures do the roll call, lets make them stop that as well.

Wow. Someone actually went there...

I think Yankee pitchers feel distracted when the bleacher creatures do the roll call, lets make them stop that as well.

For the record, my take had nothing to do with a distraction issue, just an overall stupid issue

And I fully expect to take a lot of flack for this post.

How many minutes did the crowd stand and clap in the start of the 2nd half? How many rushed shots did you see our team try seeming to desperately just want the crowd to be able to sit down and relax. The same with the players they can't seem to settle in and play relaxed until we hit the first FG of the game it seems to me that sometimes it just adds pressure and anxiety to the team especially when it goes much longer than 2 minutes or so. The anticipation just seems to build and build and you know it has to affect the team.

Don't get me wrong I love tradition and I am sure nothing anyone says will stop it. But it just seems to me in some games it hurts more then it helps.

If they can not handle the pressure, maybe they should be playing in a rec league.

If they can not handle the pressure, maybe they should be playing in a rec league.

Exactly. The last thing on the player's minds should is that they should not be worried because The Dome Knitter has been standing, clapping, knit one and purling twoing for a prolonged period of time.

I agree they should be focused but they are also 17-22 year old kids and the constant clapping reminds them that they haven't scored a basket yet.

Hell, why not steal the roll call from the Yankees and use that instead (Albeit not while the play is live)

I would love if after every Fab Melo basket the student section just erupted in "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"

Hahahhahhahaha. Someone make that happen!

I would love if after every Fab Melo basket the student section just erupted in "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!"

I love this

That's awesome. The students really should make this happen.

That would be pretty cool, I take it Fab played soccer in Brazil?

FWIW Sportscenter showed it this morning. Talked about the tradition at Syracuse and how fans stand and clap, showed time, how we extended the lead without a bucket, then showed everyone go nuts when we scored and sit down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom