I Swear | Syracusefan.com

I Swear

Orijinal

All Conference
If Cuse has 2 timeouts and I see an onside kick against Louisville with more than 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter and only down one score, I'm gonna lose my junk.

If Cuse has 2 timeouts and I see an onside kick against Louisville with more than 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter and only down one score, I'm gonna lose my junk.

Not me, unless Lamar Jackson left the game for some reason.

I don't think putting the football back in his hands with the game on the line is a good idea. Too many ways he can kill you.

Not me, unless Lamar Jackson left the game for some reason.

I don't think putting the football back in his hands with the game on the line is a good idea. Too many ways he can kill you.
I wouldn't want to put the ball back in his hands at their own 40. We ain't gonna recover the kick

I've learned on this very board that the 25-30 yard difference between a touchback & failed onsides kick is essentially irrelevant & well worth the risk in that situation. It shouldn't have any effect on the defense's psyche/emotion or the momentum of the game.
Haha! My sarcasm meter may be off, but I'll take that as hilarious

if we had onside kicked every time vs wake and got it once we would have been ahead of the game.
An exceptional situation where we couldn't stop the offense one time in the second half. And still assuming we recover one

it would have been an interesting game had the offense not tanked with the scoring the 2nd half.. we might have won 80-65.. we gained 200 yds and got zip for it..

Haha! My sarcasm meter may be off, but I'll take that as hilarious
Your meter is properly calibrated & dialed in ;)

I contemplated just posting it & seeing if it generated "likes" for both sarcasm & agreement lol

I hope we onside kick every kickoff.
I was awesome at that in an old NCAA Football game (2001?). Maybe DB should hire me to coach it. Nevermind, my wife can't stand the cold and snow.

I've learned on this very board that the 25-30 yard difference between a touchback & failed onsides kick is essentially irrelevant & well worth the risk in that situation. It shouldn't have any effect on the defense's psyche/emotion or the momentum of the game.
Momentum in sports is a fallacy I've also learned on this board. Afterall, the game is played by robots, not people.

it would have been an interesting game had the offense not tanked with the scoring the 2nd half.. we might have won 80-65.. we gained 200 yds and got zip for it..
Very, very true

Momentum in sports is a fallacy I've also learned on this board. Afterall, the game is played by robots, not people.
I'm all for stats, percentages, & raw data, as they certainly have their place, but, IMO, emotion & momentum are far too important not to be factored in.

I posted this in the "LSU Onsides Kick" thread &, though it isn't relevant to the OP, it further illustrates my point.

I'd like to highlight a specific point with a common hypothetical scenario:

A KO returner catches the ball a few steps deep in his own end zone. He can either accept the touchback (ball at the 25) or attempt a return.

We all watch a ton of football, college & NFL. Is anyone going to tell me there's not a noticeable difference in the offense's confidence/attitude/swagger/etc. following a 35 yard return rather than a touchback? Or, conversely, the defense's after stopping him on the 15 or even the 20 with a big hit? It's only a 5-10 yard difference but it can mean so much more in terms of emotion & momentum.

Ha! If the game is a shootout and both teams are moving the ball at will - you onside it every time. Jackson trips and gains 25-30 yards.

If the score is 65 to 59? Jackson has like 600 yards? But Mahoney is having an otherworldly game - I think you take your chances with recovery over just giving the ball back to Jackson.

I don’t think it’s that controversial either.

If the score is 65 to 59? Jackson has like 600 yards? But Mahoney is having an otherworldly game - I think you take your chances with recovery over just giving the ball back to Jackson.

I don’t think it’s that controversial either.
Yes. You are correct here. There ARE certain situations where the onside kick is warranted.

If you haven't stopped them all game and time is running short, then take the chance. You probably ain't gonna recover, but you take the chance. You already know you aren't stopping them no matter where on the field they start.

But don't be kicking it onsides if the score is 34 to 29. Louisville hasn't been scoring at will in that situation

Yes. You are correct here. There ARE certain situations where the onside kick is warranted.

If you haven't stopped them all game and time is running short, then take the chance. You probably ain't gonna recover, but you take the chance. You already know you aren't stopping them no matter where on the field they start.

But don't be kicking it onsides if the score is 34 to 29. Louisville hasn't been scoring at will in that situation

Right. I think the way the game is going provides some of the info. We somehow hold Jackson down or feel our D has made stops, you kick it deep.

Just it’s more likely that our O can slice them up than our D can stop Jackson as I sit here on a Thurs afternoon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom